SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased a Volvo Protection Plus plan? If yes, which plan did you get and how much did you pay?

The different plans are:

Plan 1
Windshield Repair Protection
Key/Remote Replacement
Paintless Dent Repair
Tire & Wheel Protection
Roadside Assistance

Plan 2
Key/Remote Replacement
Roadside Assistance

Plan 3
Tire & Wheel Protection
Roadside Assistance

·
Registered
541 Posts
I got Plan 1 and paid $100 off what was listed in the brochure they gave me.. so $800 or $850 I think for the longer term (I forget if it was 3 or 5 years).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Regarding these plans, you might want to consider how often you will use these protection policies. You already get four years of roadside assistance with a new Volvo. I personally haven't had a windshield crack in the past 15 years. I have never damaged a tire or a wheel functionally. I have never lost a key needing replacement. (I do seem to lose every valet key though). All the dents I have suffered have been beyond paintless.

If you do regular city driving, curb rash almost seems inevitable. Does the policy cover cosmetic wheel damage? If it did, I would consider it. I would drop off the affected wheel while I had my snow package on. The usual price for rim repair is ~$100-150 per wheel.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Regarding these plans, you might want to consider how often you will use these protection policies. You already get four years of roadside assistance with a new Volvo. I personally haven't had a windshield crack in the past 15 years. I have never damaged a tire or a wheel functionally. I have never lost a key needing replacement. (I do seem to lose every valet key though). All the dents I have suffered have been beyond paintless.

If you do regular city driving, curb rash almost seems inevitable. Does the policy cover cosmetic wheel damage? If it did, I would consider it. I would drop off the affected wheel while I had my snow package on. The usual price for rim repair is ~$100-150 per wheel.
You make a lot of good points. I'm thinking of getting Plan 3 for the tires and rims. I just don't know for how long and how often it can be used for.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
192 Posts
You make a lot of good points. I'm thinking of getting Plan 3 for the tires and rims. I just don't know for how long and how often it can be used for.

Sent from my iPhone
Any price quotes or estimates on Plan #3? I agree...windshield repair usually just means they just fix the little crack with a sealant vs replacing the windshield. And you are right, most dent repairs that I'm involved in are not paintless kind. Since I'm getting the 21", I think the only thing that will give me stress relief is the Plan #3.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no prices yet.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I got plan 1 and think I paid $550. Continual road construction around DFW so lots of opportunity for damage.
Have cracked three windshield from construction trucks and cut down two tires in the past year on the freeways.
If this continues, plan pays for itself almost instantly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got Plan 1 and paid $100 off what was listed in the brochure they gave me.. so $800 or $850 I think for the longer term (I forget if it was 3 or 5 years).
My dealer is offering me the equivalent of plan1 for $1395 and volvo's plan 1
For $1590. Wondering why there is such a big difference across dealers.
Can I ask where you bought yours from?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think here the price makes a huge difference. At $1600, I don't see this package being worth it. Paintless dent repair will cost you ~ $100 per incident. Refinishing wheels will cost about the same. In order to make up the cost, you would have to trash a 22" tire, lose a key, shatter your windshield, and fix 3-4 dents. That would be exceedingly bad luck!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Location had an impact on labor costs along with term. Where are you located? I got equivalent of Plan 3 for $900 for 5yr/50k if that helps in NJ

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Location had an impact on labor costs along with term. Where are you located? I got equivalent of Plan 3 for $900 for 5yr/50k if that helps in NJ
Which dealer, if you don't mind?
I'm going to get a protection plan (albeit not for XC90, but still) along with the new car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Which dealer, if you don't mind?
I'm going to get a protection plan (albeit not for XC90, but still) along with the new car.
Princeton Volvo

Remember, I got BOTH the following:

Tire and Wheel: 5yr was asking $995
Extended Warranty: 7yr/75k and $0 deductible at their dealerships (Princeton, Edison, Bridgewater) was asking $3150

I haggled them down to $3200 for both before tax. I just want to make sure you know the whole story. I also financed through them and the vehicle was roughly 1 month later than their promised ETA...thus I made them throw in the mats as well.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
My dealer is offering a third-party AllState option. Their Platinum plan seems to be similar to Plan 1. See https://allstatecarcare.com/Products/CompleteProtection. Cost is $900 or $995 for 5 years and I will check to be sure. The coverage here seems to be pretty limiting - up to $45 for tire repair, optional cosmetic rim damage repair up to max of $800 for lifetime of contract.

Has anyone had experience with this policy or Allstate in this regard? I asked my dealer to verify whether this was the Volvo Protection Plan, and I think it is not. Waiting on their reply....

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Princeton Volvo

Extended Warranty: 7yr/75k and $0 deductible at their dealerships (Princeton, Edison, Bridgewater) was asking $3150

I haggled them down to $3200 for both before tax. I just want to make sure you know the whole story. I also financed through them and the vehicle was roughly 1 month later than their promised ETA...thus I made them throw in the mats as well.
Thank you.
I live close to Edison Volvo, but will be getting my car from Prestige.
I just needed a baseline for the price from another dealership.
Thank you for the information!

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Princeton Volvo

Thank you.
I live close to Edison Volvo, but will be getting my car from Prestige.
I just needed a baseline for the price from another dealership.
Thank you for the information!

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk
I was going to buy from Edison Volvo but i didn't like the Sales Manager as he was too shady. Princeton is close to my work and they treated me extremely well. The T&W warranty that I got covers cosmetics well so make sure you verify on your end. For the extended warranty it's $0 deductible from Princeton, Edison and Bridgewater and $100 outside. All three are within 18miles for me.

My T&W is 5year regardless of miles and is through Safeguard. The Extended Warranty is through Zurich. Both are very reputable. Also, dealer handles all the paperwork and it's all intl their system.

Good luck! Prestige is good dealer but a little out of my way.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My dealer is offering a third-party AllState option. Their Platinum plan seems to be similar to Plan 1. See https://allstatecarcare.com/Products/CompleteProtection. Cost is $900 or $995 for 5 years and I will check to be sure. The coverage here seems to be pretty limiting - up to $45 for tire repair, optional cosmetic rim damage repair up to max of $800 for lifetime of contract.

Has anyone had experience with this policy or Allstate in this regard? I asked my dealer to verify whether this was the Volvo Protection Plan, and I think it is not. Waiting on their reply....
Wow...to be honest that plan sucks. You should be paying nothing out of pocket for repair even cosmetic for $900+

The only limit I have is I need to maintain 3/32" thread.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I was going to buy from Edison Volvo but i didn't like the Sales Manager as he was too shady. Princeton is close to my work and they treated me extremely well. The T&W warranty that I got covers cosmetics well so make sure you verify on your end. For the extended warranty it's $0 deductible from Princeton, Edison and Bridgewater and $100 outside. All three are within 18miles for me.

My T&W is 5year regardless of miles and is through Safeguard. The Extended Warranty is through Zurich. Both are very reputable. Also, dealer handles all the paperwork and it's all intl their system.

Good luck! Prestige is good dealer but a little out of my way.
I have Safeguard on my current car. I like it. They got all my wheels repaired (curb rash) and had 2 tire punctures repaired under it. So I think you made a good choice with that tire and wheel protection plan.

Don't get me started on Edison...
3 years ago, when I was about to get my first Volvo I was told that I'm too young for such a car and to come back when I grow up... when I was about to go order my current one - they told me not to bother them until my lease is up... my pleas that it takes 3-4 months (almost 4 at this point) for the car order to be delivered - they told me I'm crazy, it takes a week...

Never dealt with Princeton though.

Prestige is out of the way for me too, but after both Edison and Bridgewater refused to place a car order, I had to turn to Prestige.

P.S. I'm pretty sure I know which sales manager from Edison you're talking about :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
My dealer offered me the equivalent of Plan 1 through Zurich (Zurich Select Protection) for around $1,100. This was for 3 years, but they agreed to extend it to 5 for the same price. I'll probably go with this as the wheel and tire coverage alone makes it worthwhile for me. We live in the city and one hit to a pothole is going to make this worthwhile with these 20" tires. Tire prices seem to go up exponentially every years. My wife has also been known to lose a key fob before...

One thing I am wondering is if going with the Volvo Protection Plus Plans, does it matter what dealer it is purchased from? I found pricing of $895 (5 year) for package 1 from dealers online. Is there any drawback to buying this from one dealer if I know the car will be serviced at another that is located closer to me?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
My dealer offered me the equivalent of Plan 1 through Zurich (Zurich Select Protection) for around $1,100. This was for 3 years, but they agreed to extend it to 5 for the same price. I'll probably go with this as the wheel and tire coverage alone makes it worthwhile for me. We live in the city and one hit to a pothole is going to make this worthwhile with these 20" tires. Tire prices seem to go up exponentially every years. My wife has also been known to lose a key fob before...

One thing I am wondering is if going with the Volvo Protection Plus Plans, does it matter what dealer it is purchased from? I found pricing of $895 (5 year) for package 1 from dealers online. Is there any drawback to buying this from one dealer if I know the car will be serviced at another that is located closer to me?
2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ - Ember Black/Amber/Charcoal HL - Vision/Convenience/20" Black Alloy Wheels/Booster - ordered 9/24/15 (est delivery 1/12/16)

Love your build........

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
For what it's worth, I was offered Plan 3 (Volvo plan) for $595 for 3 years.
It's for S60 though, so not sure how much it'd differ for XC90.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts