SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Did you ever notice how they never open up the doors, hood or trunk?
Even if you like the "dipped" look - all your sills and inner / under parts will still be in the cars original color and that frankly will look like crap! IMO.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Did you ever notice how they never open up the doors, hood or trunk?
Even if you like the "dipped" look - all your sills and inner / under parts will still be in the cars original color and that frankly will look like crap! IMO.
I agree and disagree with this, I mean look at henrys car when he did the matte white vinyl wrap, he didnt wrap his door sills or inners and his car was originally black. I think it depends on the color of the car and the color you intend to dip the car with. If your car is black and you want to do a matte black dip then i dont see anything wrong with that. If your car is red or something like that and you dip in blue matte then please refrain as that would look terrible. I am a little skeptical about the whole dip your car idea, I have worked with plasti dip a few times, once on my trunk and it was next to impossible to get even coats with no signs of rattle can on the finished product. Matte black is a difficult color to spray, therefore if i were to ever dip my car i would have Fonzie do it if I lived in florida.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've considered doing my R in matte white while leaving the roof black [gives that panoramic roof look]. Given that the interior is black and nordkap, I don't think dark door sills, etc would look bad.

That said, I would only do this with their professional paint kit with the gun and the pre-thinned plastidip. I would also have my friends who've done some car painting at least give me some tips before I tried this as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've considered doing my R in matte white while leaving the roof black [gives that panoramic roof look]. Given that the interior is black and nordkap, I don't think dark door sills, etc would look bad.

That said, I would only do this with their professional paint kit with the gun and the pre-thinned plastidip. I would also have my friends who've done some car painting at least give me some tips before I tried this as well.
Of course I would have it done with their professional paint kit with the gun and the pre-thinned plastidip, no other way. and I would have done it by someone who already has done some painting and knows that stuff... I dont think it would really look bad if I had it dipped in matt black either if my S60 is titanium grey with black interior. But I wanted to see some pics or hear some opinions first... I like to have something that is rare or unique so I'd definitely go for that... but whats the point of wasting more money on the car if I'm planning on a new vehicle purchase next year that will definitely be worth spending money on lol. anyways thanks, I will not be doing it ha !

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It's much more than just the door sills that will be left the original color. The inside of the window frame, the area under the trunk that doesn't get sprayed, under the hood, etc etc. There's a lot of uncovered area and this all is about the same as some of the ***** primer and paint jobs.

Mismatched door jams never look good. No matter what color your interior is. It just looks like you were too cheap to get a proper respray/paint job

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I hear you Toby...
Even if I wanted a dull finish on my car - I would want the sils and inside parts to match...
But to each his own as they say.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It's much more than just the door sills that will be left the original color. The inside of the window frame, the area under the trunk that doesn't get sprayed, under the hood, etc etc. There's a lot of uncovered area and this all is about the same as some of the ***** primer and paint jobs.

Mismatched door jams never look good. No matter what color your interior is. It just looks like you were too cheap to get a proper respray/paint job
I will agree with most of this. However, it is really cool that now we could basically change the color of our cars as often as we like. That has a certain appeal to it.

It even might be cool to simply use the clear plastidip to get a matte finish over your current color...then you don't get the mismatched colors going :D

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I hear you Toby...
Even if I wanted a dull finish on my car - I would want the sils and inside parts to match...
But to each his own as they say.
No. Not to each his own on this. This is one trend we need to stop before it starts. lol

I will agree with most of this. However, it is really cool that now we could basically change the color of our cars as often as we like. That has a certain appeal to it.

It even might be cool to simply use the clear plastidip to get a matte finish over your current color...then you don't get the mismatched colors going :D
Nothing was stopping you before but common sense lol.

I think the mismatched sills is still the killer.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
No. Not to each his own on this. This is one trend we need to stop before it starts. lol

Nothing was stopping you before but common sense lol.

I think the mismatched sills is still the killer.
I know what you're saying, but I still don't think people are going to look at a plastidipped car and be like "What a professional paint job on that car!!" anyways. It's not permanent, nor was it meant to look like a professional paint job. It is exactly what it is: an easy to work with sprayable plastic that lets you change the look of your car on the fly [relatively]. Folks who think this can replace a proper paintjob are delusional. Even Fonzie doing it won't be near the quality of a good full vinyl wrap or professional respray.

I'm going to get some for my wheels [though I'm still deciding what color to get], and have fun with it. I can't make my rashed wheels look any worse :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
I thought about doing my s60 in blue but came up with the same issue about unpainted parts. Plasti dips great it's just easy to take it too far. I painted my calipers red to match the car and then dipped the rims, grill, and emblems back and I was very happy with the results.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
If you guys think full-car plastidip sprays "look bad" head to the dipyourcar.com forums and check out the whole-car-dip section of the forum, plenty of pictures to judge for yourself.

Yes some folks do a crap job but LOTS of them look great, particularly the matte black and white colors.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Just an idea of what a black R dipped in matte white might look like...

1 - 20 of 75 Posts