SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im wondering if anyone has installed a SPEC stage whatever, in thier R. Any opinions on them fron experience? I'm looking at getting the stage 3+.

I spent like 3 hours looking for info on the net for anyone that has one, didn't find anything here or at VS.

Thanks for any and all info as always!

Kevin

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Re: Has anyone installed a SPEC clutch? (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »
Tangeball has and I have as well.

Well, I almost have installed one. I am waiting for mine to completely let go and then do it. I have it sitting in my garage in the mean time. If I am not mistaken I believe blot has one in his mod list.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Has anyone installed a SPEC clutch? (R_Rated)

How is the feel? Does it feel much different than stock? Does it make an already difficlult car to launch that much more difficult? Not that I car about launching at a drag strip, I'm more of a trackday junky.

I also ask because I don't want to be a guinea pig with the first one fitted.

My car has 23k hard miles on her....I just wish I could see how the stocker is holding up.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Has anyone installed a SPEC clutch? (KVB-R)

I use a stage 3 in my S70, the one you have driven in as a passenger.

Pretty harch clutch, with track use it becomes a switch.
I wonder if you want something like that in the R.
Also when cold it can make screetching noises until the friction warms up.

I would advice to take a look at the clutch which comes out. Should give an indication how much abuse it can handle.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

How much hp are you pushing? Unless you're at 500 hp or something, I'd say go with the 2+ instead of the 3+. The 3+, in my opinion, is getting into a less streetable setup than the 2+.

We all want the "best," but ultimately, the car is going to be your daily driver.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Has anyone installed a SPEC clutch? (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »
I use a stage 3 in my S70, the one you have driven in as a passenger.

Oh yes, I definately remember!

Pretty harch clutch, with track use it becomes a switch.
I wonder if you want something like that in the R.
Also when cold it can make screetching noises until the friction warms up.

I would advice to take a look at the clutch which comes out. Should give an indication how much abuse it can handle.

I've read that the stage 3+ is more streetable than the regular stage 3, or so that's what SPEC claims. Also, the R clutch is the easiest clutch I've ever pushed in, so apart from driving your demon or anyone else who has a similar setup, I'll never know what hard clutch is. Perhaps others can step in here.

I hope to get the old parts back if this does happen. When it does I'll take pictures and explain how I drive and where, and then let you guys decide how it looks.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts

There is a guy in SPEC customer service who has an P2 R. I have spoken to him several times.

He recommends the stage II for drivability. That is also what ATspeed recommended too saying anything more is overkill.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Has anyone installed a SPEC clutch? (R Salesman)

Quote, originally posted by R Salesman »
How much hp are you pushing? Unless you're at 500 hp or something, I'd say go with the 2+ instead of the 3+. The 3+, in my opinion, is getting into a less streetable setup than the 2+.

We all want the "best," but ultimately, the car is going to be your daily driver.

Over time, I might guess 350hp with off the shelf mods. I may want more down the road though.

Supposedly, the stage 3+ is more streetable than the stage 3. Perhaps because it's a full plate vs. 6 or 4 wing? That's how I read thier website.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Has anyone installed a SPEC clutch? (Helmut Ranff)

To be honest I wouldn't mind a stiffer clutch, I don't think it would be an issue. But again, I've never driven a car with a stage3 clutch installed. The VS guys mostly put stage 3 in the older R's/85x/70r, and I haven;t read complaints of drivabilty. However, I don't know those folds over there too well and thier cars might be weekend warriors.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

With harsch I mean there is not much slip. When driving from a standstill you will always slip the clutch no matter how slight. With the Spec 3 it will grab quick, if not it will sort of stutter or screatch.
After a lap at the ring this becomes worse, no more stutter or noise, just grip even when the clutch isn't fully engaged. With a blip of the throttle you can drive without to much issues this way, blip to catch the RPM drop and roll the car with a fully engaged clutch from there on. Downside is that the engine will stall at a certain lowest RPM point. This clutch also needs pretty accurate rev matching when downshifting.

Pedal pressure doesn't change that much btw

I have been told the 3+ should be better yes, question is how much.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

How did the R's clutch grab feel compared to your S70? I mean, I believe the R has a very aggressive peddle-travel/engagement window. The later models perhaps could be more forgiving with a grippier clutch, whereas the R would only become worse with that kind of grip?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

The pedal of the R is stronger, needs more force, but the clutch is much more forgiving than the Spec.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

THanks for your feedback Johann, I'll hopefully see you soon at the ring, if not for that, atleast I can give Jan his pistons that I've had since summer time.....

He will get them, please let him know that.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts

With harsch I mean there is not much slip. When driving from a standstill you will always slip the clutch no matter how slight. With the Spec 3 it will grab quick, if not it will sort of stutter or screatch.
After a lap at the ring this becomes worse, no more stutter or noise, just grip even when the clutch isn't fully engaged. With a blip of the throttle you can drive without to much issues this way, blip to catch the RPM drop and roll the car with a fully engaged clutch from there on. Downside is that the engine will stall at a certain lowest RPM point. This clutch also needs pretty accurate rev matching when downshifting.

Pedal pressure doesn't change that much btw

I have been told the 3+ should be better yes, question is how much.

This is very accurate, the grab is the best way to say it. The stage II does not chatter or schatter do not know the spelling, and it does slip a lot more than stock without damage so it launches better

I think there is massive overkill because people want the best and so if you
say stage I, then stage III is better and III+ will make you a god

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

I've got my SPEC 3+ clutch installed for over 2 months now together with a new slave cylinder(for precautionary measures).

The Original clutch had a total of 75K km or 46K miles with 1.5K km or almost 1K miles of track time. I changed it out as 2nd gear was starting to slip on the track during 6K rpm gear engagements. The OEM clutch wore very evenly and the grooves were just about gone.

For the SPEC 3+ clutch, the clutch pedal effort feels almost the same, maybe just a tad firmer. Bite point is the same as OEM. However, bite action is almost like what Johann described.

There is a bit more finesse required to smoothly engage it without chattering, but even if not done so, the chatter just happens for probably less than one wheel rotation. Definitely very streetable. BTW, it is a full disc but without springs.

The engagement will be more responsive, ie a lot less clutch slippage which is what I like. Some may find it too harsh, but for an almost 1.8K kg car, it is fine.

The clutch has performed extremely well on track, very smooth takeup, very quick engagements, no jerking, no slipping - I like.

Overall, I'm pleased with this clutch.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Has anyone installed a SPEC clutch? (Helmut Ranff)

Quote, originally posted by Helmut Ranff »
This is very accurate, the grab is the best way to say it. The stage II does not chatter or schatter do not know the spelling, and it does slip a lot more than stock without damage so it launches better

I think there is massive overkill because people want the best and so if you
say stage I, then stage III is better and III+ will make you a god

Of course I want the best for my R.
I do realize what you are saying, basically I want a clutch that will hold up to the abuse I might put through. It's tough for me to judge the condition of my current clutch, but I would like to error on the overkill side if you know what i mean.

I had a 2nd Gen RX7 and the stock pressure plate exploaded from a just a few clutch drops. Not that I'm implying that I would do that to the R, it's a different drive. I just don't want the clutch to be a weak link in a drivetrain that already has weak links--especially when it's coming out of my own pocket.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts