SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an extra Tru-Boost in the garage and I thought I'd throw it on the R, but I wasnt to sure if it'd work because it has to plug into t a harness (I currently have an IPD).

http://www.aemelectronics.com/Images/Products/Installation Instructions 30-4350.pdf

Any ideas? I was thinking of the IPD "R" boost gauge, but I really like the Tru-Boosts and have run them on all my boosted cars, and I still have one in my Cobra.

I did a search, but nothing that answers my question

:beer:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So i ended up putting on the Tru Boost and the AEM TCV, now the SOB boosts 25psi and pulls like a MFer up to redline. I do have a CEL (ill check it monday). Im assuming it should be around like 17-20psi?

Feels stupid fast, but in 4-6th gears under a heavy load it feels like its pinging after 5500rpm at WOT. Im gonna replace the plugs tomorrow (gonna do 1 step colder).

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Hopefully you have a spare engine laying around in that awesome sweet kick ass garage of yours too. :D I know you have all sorts of Ferarri parts and such.

Seriously though..don't go to 25 PSI, you're gunna shoot a piston to the moon! Stock internals can't really handle that even with an agressive tune, which you don't have.

·
Registered
176 Posts
X2 on ^. Without tune 17 psi I think is the most without worry

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Im guessing you have mixed up the lines on the TCV, it should not be boosting that high. Everytime you go that high, you are risking blowing up the motor.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
^^ That's what I was gunna say. If you switch the lines you're gunna have a bad time.

Like that South Park episode when they went to Aspen, "if you french fry when you should pizza, you're gunna have a bad time"

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
So i ended up putting on the Tru Boost and the AEM TCV, now the SOB boosts 25psi and pulls like a MFer up to redline. I do have a CEL (ill check it monday). Im assuming it should be around like 17-20psi?

Feels stupid fast, but in 4-6th gears under a heavy load it feels like its pinging after 5500rpm at WOT. Im gonna replace the plugs tomorrow (gonna do 1 step colder).
Please double check your vacuum! Port 1 "RED" goes to the Turbo Compressor Cover. Port 2 "Yellow" goes to the Wastegate Actuator, Port 3 "Blue" goes to the Inlet tube. Also, did you break in the TCV correctly? Or did you just reset the ECU (which is what I do)?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tripple checked the lines. Besides, im very very very mechanically inclined (I used to restore cars and ive built several motors ect). I had a diagram printed out and next to me when I was doing the tcv swap anyway just to be sure.

Im assuming that its just the preset on the gauge, since its a EBC as well, ill need to do some calibrations on it.

Built motor in the works. :)

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I meant nothing by it BTW, just stock car with stock tune should be around 14.7psi, not 25ish... I'm tuned and running 22-24psi, so I was just saying.

I just posted the pattern to 'double' check, meant nothing by it. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No worries, man, i was just saying as well. I did double check, i had colored zipties on them as well so i wouldnt forget. I adjusted the AEM down to 18psi nd it feels way better. I can feel a major power difference even on stock tune between 18 and 25 lol.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick Question. I took the Tru-Boost off, put the IPD TCV back in (the AEM TCV was starting to make the car run weird) and i installed a standard Autometer boost gauge (looks better and glows green instead of red). Unless there is some other kind of mod that I am unaware of that the previous owner installed (car came with the IPD intake, IPD TCV and K&N Element), the boost gauge is still showing 20-23 psi on WOT (but it runs and pulls way better than it did with the AEM). Is there a possibility the car has a tune on it? I get about 33mpg on the freeway as well. Or is my car just a freak of nature? :p

Here is the gauge though. I like it. Nothing like a mechanical gauge bouncing around :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts