SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some Sumitumo tires on the car....they have lasted for about a year but for some reason the tires on the rear wore unevenly. <p>Strange b/c they were rotated and it is an all wheel drive car( with a front wheel drive bias)...but nonetheless the fronts are fine ( they have at least another 4- 6 months of tread on them) and the rears are in need of being replaced. <p>Has anyone ever replaced just two tires?<p>Has anyone ever replaced two tires with a different make of tire than the what was already on the car? Were their any nasty side effect associated with the different tires? <p>Just wondering....it seems silly to replace 4 tires when only two need replacing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: Has anyone had two different types of tires on their R? (esquiR)

is ok to change just 2 tires , u will not have any problem , is much better to change al 4 but if u cant aford is not a problem ..my advice buy some Goodyear Eagle F1

·
Banned
63,535 Posts

You can...but not if one set is totally worn out.<br>If they're between 1/4" or a hair more you're OK

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>esquiR</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Has anyone ever replaced just two tires?<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yes, everytime I get new tires. 2 new to the rear... rotate the old rears to the front.<p>In fact... I had a blow out 2 weeks ago with one of my F1's. I think I hit something because I heard some rattle around in the rear wheel well for a few thousand feet.<p>I Just got a new set of F1's about 2 mouths ago and they have probaby 7k-10k on them. The tread looked fairly good the day of the blow out and I didn't want to go for 2 or 4 new tires. I went with 1.<p>After 2 weeks, it seems fine.<p>In another case, I've also wore down the complete right hand side of my track tires at Willow springs. Car pulls to one direction, but it was fine.<p>I think, at least for the 06, the car is really foregiving. I'll take a picture of the blow out tire and new tire side by side when I get back from LA.<p>But, as for replacing 2 tires, ya your defiantly fine.

·
Registered
210 Posts

I have 3 types. I bought it that way and just now finally gave up trying to get a new set from the original owner which was part of the (oral) deal when I bought it. I am getting new tires next month.<p>POINT IS: Although I've been testing fate, I've been driving this way for 4 months and 4000 miles with no problems (yet).

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I purchased 2 new Yokohomas for the car...getting them put on tomorrow...<p>Another question: Do I put the 2 new tires on the front of the car or the rear? I know we are front wheel drive biased AWD but the guy at the tire place recommended putting the new ones on the rear...said it would improve performance. I think he is wrong but wanted to get others thoughts.<p>Thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
a lot of people do think you are supposed to put them in the front. But he is right in saying that you put newer tires on the back. Think of it this way, id rather understeer into a guardrail than oversteer and spin out into trafic.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>esquiR</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>Another question: Do I put the 2 new tires on the front of the car or the rear? I know we are front wheel drive biased AWD but the guy at the tire place recommended putting the new ones on the rear...said it would improve performance. I think he is wrong but wanted to get others thoughts.<p>Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE><p>He's not talking about performance in hp... he's talking about stability.<p>Some put them on the front for steering and braking, but the rear has a tendency to slide out. The new tires in the rear will help that. <p>The old tires up front will handle the road fine... just go easy for the first week. As a warning, you'll have a slight pushing effect in the corners / turns. You'll defiantly feel the rears holding much more than the front. That effect goes away after a week. Actually, that effect will still be there, but you won't feel it anymore. <br>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts