SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering adding things like dashboard cam / power cable for the phone that would be getting power from the fuse box (ie live wire while car is running that's hidden under the dashboard and only a small piece comes out).

Has anybody has this done? One installer I spoke with said that the new XC90 is very difficult and he's not sure if he could even get under the panel.

So I just wanted to check if anybody had this type of work already done.

Thank you

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
546 Posts
I installed a 12v -> USB adapter using the fuse panel at the left end of the dashboard - i.e. the region that butts up onto the door when it is closed. I used an open fuse slot and installed a fuse tap. I snaked the USB-> Thunderbolt cable up and had it come out between the dash and the driver's A-pillar cover. I stuck a quick release mount for my iPhoney on the lower left windscreen. Works like a charm. Power on only when engine on. Clean installation.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I actually tried to use one of the spare positions in the fuse box using Volvo "repair terminal kit"

After some probing I couldn't find a fusebox feed that kept power on/off with car... So I ended up wiring my dash cam directly into the cigarette lighter power feed behind center dash..

This has worked great for almost 2 years now..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I also used fuse plugs. I tapped into the radio circuit in the door side panel for a radar detector.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Running a dash cam hardwired into the fuse box (add a fuse) under the steering wheel. I ended up using the same slot as the 12V cigarette lighters (comes on when the car starts). Works perfectly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts