SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a xc60 T6 that was making a horrible noise, turns out it was the reed drive bearing, I know once that goes, it would cause engine damage so I caught it at the right time. I took it to an indy shop that lucky has done them before ( need the right tools speciality tools ) rather than shell out 5 to 6k that a dealer would charge although after the rental and labor bill it was still around $3k. Got the water pump and all the seals done too. Anyone everyone ever have this performed?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Oh yuk, had never heard of that ,and just did some research. What year and mileage?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Across the auto biz there are a few engines in various makes wiith roller bearings lubed by engine oil. They are far and away very reliable. BUT, roller bearings can not have stainless steel rollers as stainless steel is not the right properties for good bearing roller. If the engine is run for short trips in cold weather and if started and allowed to warm up lengthy periods the amount of moisture and thus acidity of the oil gets much higher than it will otherwise. The moisture and acidity will pit the rollers and the races and then it is done. The READ bearing was updated from tapered roller to ball bearing in mid 2010 but the rollers of bearing are still a steel that can rust. The failure is almost non-existent in the sun belt states and is low in the colder states.
The repair ABSOLUTELY requires some special tools. One in particular is the pair of tools needed to unscrew a gear that also acts as a nut to retain a bearing. It is torqued to about 300 lb-ft and there is no way to break it loose or get it back to the correct torque with anything other than with those tools.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts