SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, how did you go about doing it? Unfortunately a rock hit my on the freeway and the chip is not fully repairable (you will always be able to see it). Since I have less than 4,000 miles on the car, I am leaning towards getting a new windshield. If anyone else has done this, I would appreciate hearing which company you used and how much it ended up costing you.

I am tendering the claim to State Farm, but so far they are telling me my Volvo dealer is not a part of their glass program, so they won't necessarily give me the amount the dealer is charging to fix it (after I pay my $500 deductible). But then again, the car is so new that I think they are going to have trouble getting other bids which is what they are trying to gather now. Any information is appreciated!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had to replace mine. I took it to the dealership to have it done. My insurance is with progressive and while they told me that the Volvo Dealer isn't part of their standard network they let me take it there anyway. It just meant that I had to pay for the repair out of pocket ($1600) and then they sent me a reimbursement check.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I checked Safelite before purchasing my car - with heated glass, the windshield was quoted around $1050. I checked without heated and the quote was the same.
So I purchased the wheel, fob, windshield package with my XC90 for not much more than one windshield.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Safelight is hit or miss with windshields that have gadgets... Make sure its a Volvo brand windshield...

·
Super Moderator
39,273 Posts
I checked Safelite before purchasing my car - with heated glass, the windshield was quoted around $1050. I checked without heated and the quote was the same.
So I purchased the wheel, fob, windshield package with my XC90 for not much more than one windshield.
Absolutely choose to go with the OEM, when it comes to windshield replacement.

·
Registered
148 Posts
As far as insurance goes, ALWAYS get the glass coverage that gives you a minimal or no glass replacement deductible. Your premium difference is minimal and if you even use it once it pays for itself .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the advice! I was told that State Farm no longer offers no deductible for glass, but I could certainly double check. They ended up not getting any bids other than my local Volvo dealer (shocker!) so I only need to pay the deductible. I will definitely get OEM :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
I replaced my windshield with safelite. They did a good job. Like others said make sure its OEM glass that gets used. As a side note I think that OEM replacement for the volvo xc90 2016 is all that is available at the moment. Guy at safelite said they don't have access to third party glass for xc90 2016 yet. Be prepared for wait though it took over a month to get glass from dealer for install.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is interesting. I had Safelite come out and they said they couldn't replace the windshield and that I would have to call the dealer. Maybe they just didn't want to deal with the backorder!

·
Super Moderator
39,273 Posts
Yes, windshield replacements could take a month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts