SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my new XC90, Inscription with B & W sound system, about 2-3 weeks ago. Since receiving the car, I have had a few technical issues, a few of which I have seen others here having as well. I just dropped the car today to the dealership, and they said they will need to keep the car for at least a few days to try and get "fixes" from Volvo. Here are the major issues:

1-the main Sensus screen has frozen up on me at least few times while driving. It usually freezes on the climate control screen and will not unfreeze unless I turn off the engine, wait a few seconds, and then restart.

2-the main Sensus screen has shut down and rebooted on one occasion while I was driving. AC and radio, etc. all cut out. Thankfully, engine kept going.

3-the select button on the right side of the steering wheel no longer works to 'read text messages' aloud. Initially, when I had an incoming text, I was able to press this for the message to be read. Now, I have to manually touch the main Sensus screen to have the message read.

4-the outgoing text message feature always gives me an error message, haven't been able to get it to work.

5-the outside temperature gauge has been way off…reading 121F when it is 103. The dealership told me it's because the car was parked outside, but I've had other cars before (obviously), and none of them did this.

6-I've also had the issue lately of the Sensus screen randomly showing the settings screen for the seat adjustment. I noticed there was a thread where others have seen this as well.

7-my favorites on Sirius XM will sometimes be blacked out and unable to be selected, showing a message 'Invalid selection'. If I restart the engine, the stations are likely to pop up again. I have tried resending the Sirius signal to my car but no improvement.

Has anyone else had any of these issues? What has the dealership said? What does anyone know about the reported 'November software update' others have mentioned here?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Based on my reading on this forum,
1,3,4,5 seems not reported by others.
2,6,7 was reported.

It probably helps to use a sticky thread to list problems reported so far.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Concerning 4, it won't send texts.

Concerning 5, the outside temp sensor is inside the passenger sideview mirror. Mine shows high at times until I get moving and am at speed for a bit.

Concerning 7, this happens to me ALL the time. Annoying as hell. I was told by Volvo in Sweden it will be fixed during the November update. I sure wish they'd make better use of OTA, or Over The Air, updating.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I've had the select button freeze up. It sucked because it kept the message on the screen where the turn-by-turn directions should have been until I stopped and reset the car.

On the outgoing text messages, do you have an iPhone or an Android. Outgoing texts doesn't work with iPhone. At least until we get CarPlay and use Siri.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
On the outgoing text messages, do you have an iPhone or an Android. Outgoing texts doesn't work with iPhone. At least until we get CarPlay and use Siri.
I don't think outgoing texts work with Android, either, correct? Has anyone been able to send out messages with an Android phone???

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
1,2,6 not at all.

3- had my first sensus freeze today at 7500 miles and it was this, a message stayed in the center of the driver display and I couldn't read or clear it. It did clear up in 15 minutes.

5- I wonder if this is displaying the perceived temp that the climate control system bases its auto adjustments on. I'd rather have an actual accurate thermometer but I don't really care anyway. Fwiw I'm a big fan of the auto climate so I think that reading is at least accurate in some sense.

7 happens to me sometimes but seems to clear up for me with a little driving time. It is annoying though.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
540 Posts
Ah, the joys of paying for the privilege of being a beta-tester....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it's kind of comforting others are having this experience because there is a higher likelihood Volvo will be motivated to find a fix. I do have an iPhone. And, I think it's lame that they are going to try and charge for Apple Play. No one at the dealership ever mentioned it would be an additional cost.

·
Registered
426 Posts
had the 4 and fixed it by changing a setting on the iphone bluetooth interface (when you couple it to the car): enable push notifications. After that the message function worked. I didn't like it at all and I've turned it off afterward :D

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
had the 4 and fixed it by changing a setting on the iphone bluetooth interface (when you couple it to the car): enable push notifications. After that the message function worked. I didn't like it at all and I've turned it off afterward :D
That's for receiving texts, but you still cannot send texts, right?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've managed to send a test message... but that was the extent of my testing...

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I've managed to send a test message... but that was the extent of my testing...
Using an iPhone? First time I remember hearing someone got it to work for sending. The setting you mention is what has gotten it to work in terms of receiving. Anyways, I just can't wait for CarPlay so it all wont matter much in a few months I guess.

·
Registered
66 Posts
1 - Yes, it always freezes on the climate control system.
2- No, thankfully
3 and 4-Haven't tried that yet
5 Yes, but I think that's by design
6- Yes, all the time as well
7 - Yes, that happens as well. Very frustrating

Anyone have issues with the fan speed seemingly being random? I cannot get it to change fan speeds or sometimes or the fan speed seems random. I push two bars and it's full blast and then push 4 and its slower. It should progressively get slower or faster depending on which way you're moving the bar or which one you're selecting, but sometimes it doesn't correlate. Anyone else have this issue.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I start to believe that there are a number of different versions for the different major components out in the field making sorting out what works and what doesn't nearly an impossible task (especially not being able to verify the versions ourselves). Probably worth restarting the discussion after everybody got the fabled november update, so that we can compare apples to apples.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It would be a lot easier though if Volvo allowed you to see the software version #. As far as I can tell they don't for Sensus, just for the maps and apps. And it seems pretty clear that despite a supposed feature for automatic updates that they are not pushing the updated Sensus revisions wirelessly, only with dealer visits.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm sure there are diagnostic screens for use by mechanics that can be reached with the right sequence of events.

Any volvo mechanics on here willing to share?

Has any one tried: ️AB

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I wish they publish a new VIDA version documents the Ethernet or USB or serial console port to the Sensus computer that you can have root shell and run a cmd line diag tool. lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts