SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

harsh ride

5K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Needsdecaf 
#1 ·
so this is my first volvo. i've also never had 17" wheels. is this ride supposed to be pretty harsh? even with comfort setting? its not the smooth riding car that was depicted on the youtube video w/ the british accent and cup of water test....

#2 ·
Re: harsh ride (vernk)

Quote, originally posted by vernk »
so this is my first volvo. i've also never had 17" wheels. is this ride supposed to be pretty harsh? even with comfort setting? its not the smooth riding car that was depicted on the youtube video w/ the british accent and cup of water test....

Ah you're referring to the Tiff Needell's review from the show "Fifth Gear". Personally, I never found my own car to be that smooth, even on comfort. The R has a more sport-minded suspension than most other Volvos, so it's not going to be ultra smooth like riding on air. I suppose it comes down to your own definition of "harsh" - if it really seems completely out of line for what you'd consider the car to be, then maybe you should let your dealer know that you think something is wrong. 17" wheels were the smallest wheel available for this car, as 18" was an option from the factory and 19" is somewhat popular in the aftermarket. If you can post any additional information, that would help as well.

#3 ·
Re: harsh ride (m3nt0s)

Seeing you have an '04, it's the crappy 4C. You can try getting a SUM recalibration and playing with the tire pressures. 4C is pretty sensitive to even small tire pressure changes. Could also check/replace the spring seats and various suspension bushings as they're probably worn out. You could even just disable 4C altogether by pulling the rear accelerometer in the trunk.

#5 ·

uumm....my car's got 18 inch wheels and I drive it on the roads of NYC every day - in COMFORT the car is too soft and floaty. Perhaps you should have your suspension checked; maybe you've got leaky shocks

#7 ·

It also highly depends on which (brand) tires you have and what pressures you're running among all the other factors

#8 ·
Re: harsh ride (swede2nr)

Quote, originally posted by swede2nr »

Also, leaking shocks would make the ride float/pogo stick more over bumps.

CRAP. -runs off to check front shocks.

as far as comparing it to that test, I doubt my '05 would perform like that even if i could find smooth roads in MN. You'll learn to appreciate a more sporty suspension despite a more firm ride. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#9 ·
Re: harsh ride (swede2nr)

Maybe you should look into the new R-design cars, they are plush but not sporty. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Mine is no R, but it is still sporty!

#10 ·
Re: harsh ride (dave_n_ruth)

Quote, originally posted by dave_n_ruth »

Mine is no R, but it is still sporty!

.... double checks dave_n_ruth's sig. yep 04R....

#12 ·
thanks all. i didn't realize they could program the suspension softer.

so i had the car inspected for state today and burdumy volvo gave me a loaner car. an 08 s40 which rides like i wish the R did in comfort at least. my car is definitely hard hitting w/ man hole covers and even small pot holes...i do my best to avoid the majority and this is at mild speeds too. railroad tracks are nightmares to go over.

i asked the tech to see if the ride is off from other R's and he seemed to think it was normal. oh well.

#13 ·
Re: harsh ride (S60R1)

Quote, originally posted by S60R1 »
If it's too harsh, drop your tire pressures to 36psi (from 39). If it's still too harsh for your taste, then ask your dealer for the softer settings program.

OK, I'll bite. Is this on the level? Does such a program actually exist? Or is it just wishful thinking?

#14 ·
Re: harsh ride (jclough)

Quote, originally posted by jclough »

OK, I'll bite. Is this on the level? Does such a program actually exist? Or is it just wishful thinking?

On your car? No.

There are 5 (some say, others say 4) revisions to the SUM programming.

EARLY '04's have Rev 1. Later '04's have Rev 2. I am not sure where 3 and 4 came in, JRL probably knows.

Each Rev got softer. On your '07, you have Rev 4 (maybe 5).

CAVEAT:

Dealers do not know which revision you are running. All they know is that when they hook up your car to VIDA, it will tell them whether or not there is an update available for the SUM. They then download the part number and install it.

There is no going back. It is virtually impossible to re-load "old" SUM software.

You also cannot choose which version you get. You can't come in with a Rev. 2 car and say "I want Rev 3, not 4". Again, there is an update available or not, and you'll get the latest. The revisions are superseded in the system.

#16 ·
Re: harsh ride (Needsdecaf)

Thanks for the clarification Needsdecaf. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#17 ·
Re: harsh ride (atacamaR)

Quote, originally posted by atacamaR »

.... double checks dave_n_ruth's sig. yep 04R....

I was talking about the RDesign. I got both. The XC90 V8 is very sporty, but still not an R.

#19 ·
Re: (vernk)

so whats with the table?

It's where the Swedish Volvo techs put their glass of Aquavit when they are working on the car.

(purely cosmetic panel, of which this engine bay has very little. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#21 ·
Re: (petew)

Quote, originally posted by petew »

+1 http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

Yes and the Audi and BMW were rolling on 18" wheels with 40 series tires. The ride was butter smooth. The Audi was so supple I was aiming at manholes and small potholes to marvel at the impact absorbtion. I am usually swerving like a madman to avoid these things in the R.

#23 ·
Re: (vernk)

an 08 s40 which rides like i wish

Sounds like you don't want a sports car you want a luxury car... Try out a regular S60 and I think you would really like it better. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

even in "comfort mode" your R still has stiffer springs than any other Volvo.

#24 ·
Re: (swede2nr)

Sounds like you don't want a sports car you want a luxury car... Try out a regular S60 and I think you would really like it better. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

even in "comfort mode" your R still has stiffer springs than any other Volvo.

That seem odd I could have sworn that the standard Volvo V70 AWD springs were stiffer than the R's. I think AlexD put some on his R to raise it a few inches.
I was under the impression that the fancy schmancy adjustable shocks helped to stiffen the R's ride and that is why so soft a spring was used in the R?

#25 ·
Re: (ktm_525)

+1 on the SUM recal. Just did had it done last month and there is a noticeable softening of the ride. Now Sport and Advance mode feels perfect. Just purchased the IPD HD spring seats and control arm bushings and having it installed this weekend. Hopefully it'll tighten the handling and improve ride comfort.

#26 ·
Re: (volvofla)

Quote, originally posted by volvofla »
+1 on the SUM recal. Just did had it done last month and there is a noticeable softening of the ride. Now Sport and Advance mode feels perfect. Just purchased the IPD HD spring seats and control arm bushings and having it installed this weekend. Hopefully it'll tighten the handling and improve ride comfort.

not a recalibration. You had the software updated. Big difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.