SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the 2019 S60 T6 R Trim with the Harmon Kardon system in it? I am getting barely any bass through the subwoofer. When i put on a bass mix or hip hop station the system isnt hitting the low lows that a Sub woofer should get. When I turn the bass down and subwoofer all the way up i get a dull thud.I had the Volvo dealership take a look and they said the sound was the same as another of the same model and there are no faults in the system. I was thinking that Harmon Kardon gives them some type of system sound test software but i guess that isnt the case. I guess this is just a case of another disappointing upgraded sound system. Luckily that was low on my list of making the decision...

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
A few questions:

1. Have you set the "seat optimization" to "all"?
2. Have you optimized the "surround sound" setting?
3. Have you optimized the equalizer settings? Factory default is a flat line which is terrible. My personal preference is a soft "U" shape with a slightly higher upward movement on the left side of the equalizer
4. Tone setting (on the tone/bass settings) should be set BASS --> right in the middle to perhaps one notch above, and TONE should be set two clicks off the max.

The system is very, very good. Not sure if your dealer is well trained, I am very surprised by what they told you...

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a 2019 V60 with the HK system... it should be the same setup as your S60. I'm getting good bass thumping with my test tracks - I've help design TV and consumer sound systems in my company. A lot depends on your source music and how it is connected to your amplifier. The best method for our cars is to rip a CD in FLAC tracks, download to a USB stick and play it. This reduces the decompression/compression artifacts streaming over bluetooth. The alternative method is to connect your phone to the USB port, launch Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, and play your streaming music at the highest quality settings
I have a playlist I use on Spotify to evaluate BT speakers, headphones and speakers. Two of the tracks on the playlist are: Get Lucky by Daft Punk, and Mafia Island by Alphaville. If you want to give your subs a good workout, try CeeLo Green's Bright Lights Bigger City

Follow Grecian's advice on the audio settings to start, and tweak to your liking

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I too have an s60 and will say that the bass is definitely not hard hitting at all. I agree with the OP. I have an XC90 with the B&W and the bass will knock your socks off. With the same source material the bass in the S60 with the upgraded HK system barely registers; to the point that I went into the trunk to put my ear up to the woofer to make sure it was working. It was.

I think they have tuned the system to not deliver too much bass so as not to create any vibration issues. While I’m not thrilled with the bass response I am happy overall with the quality of the system. It’s much, much, better than the upgraded Bose systems that other manufacturers offer. “It is what it is”. If I cared more about wanting more bass I would add another subwoofer.

FTR, before I bought the car I auditioned the audio system and chose it knowing full well that it didn’t have much bass output.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I have a playlist I use on Spotify to evaluate BT speakers, headphones and speakers. Two of the tracks on the playlist are: Get Lucky by Daft Punk, and Mafia Island by Alphaville.
Great tracks, two of my favorites!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I too have an s60 and will say that the bass is definitely not hard hitting at all. I agree with the OP. I have an XC90 with the B&W and the bass will knock your socks off.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Very few automotive audio systems will come close to what Bowers & Wilkins accomplishes.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You are comparing apples to oranges. Very few automotive audio systems will come close to what Bowers & Wilkins accomplishes.
Agreed, but a lot of upgraded premium systems may have more hard hitting bass than this new HK system....but they also won’t sound nearly as good in the mids and highs and their bass will be muddy......that’s why I said that overall it sounds better than the competition’s premium Bose type systems.

Also, while the B&W system is the best I’ve heard there are other systems that, as you say, compete with it; the Meridian, Naim, Krell for example. Using them as the standard it’s fair to say that the new system is excellent but not in their league, at least in part, because of the bass response. It also costs a third or more less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few questions:

1. Have you set the "seat optimization" to "all"?
2. Have you optimized the "surround sound" setting?
3. Have you optimized the equalizer settings? Factory default is a flat line which is terrible. My personal preference is a soft "U" shape with a slightly higher upward movement on the left side of the equalizer
4. Tone setting (on the tone/bass settings) should be set BASS --> right in the middle to perhaps one notch above, and TONE should be set two clicks off the max.

The system is very, very good. Not sure if your dealer is well trained, I am very surprised by what they told you...
Thanks for the Input! I have tried Bass in plenty of configurations with and without the settings below. I think the subwoofer is just underpowered or too small. As for the test tracks mentioned by another poster I know quality of sound is key. I have done alot of testing with the best quality in spotify through Android Auto. I had tested some Miami Bass DJs like Mantronix and the subwoofer was pretty absent. and that is with Bass at mid, treble down, and treble jacked. Ill try the FLAC on USB.

Its not really an issue for me since the Clarity is amazing, especially with surround sound. Sometimes I just want the bass to drop hard and it doesnt in this car. Had the same problem in my Acura TL with upgraded sound system.

To answer the questions:

1. Yes
2. Not sure what Optimize surround sound means but I have found surround 3/4 full gives the best sound, except talk radio like howard stern.
3. EQ is custom with slightly higher midrange.
4. Ill have to look at the Tone section but if it is on the same screen as the surround sound and seat optimization then I have Bass about 3 clicks above and subwoofer all the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The H&K subwoofer has a very low frequecy crossover, like a true subwoofer. That means the kick-bass must come from the doorspeakers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks everyone for your comments on the HK system. I am going to be paying for the upgrade on an OSD and wanted to learn more about it. This thread and the expertise of several posting members was really helpful. Funny thing is due to my hearing issues I have a low tolerance to bassy subwoofer notes. So the HK upgrade will be perfect for me. Thanks for this discussion.

·
Registered
512 Posts
To give your HK or B&W subwoofer a good workout, play CeeLo Green's "Bright Lights Bigger City"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
The subwoofer and bass seems to be working okay in my T6 Inscription, though either the subwoofer or something else is rattling at particular low frequencies.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Pretty happy with the H/K which is good for me, I had to make sure it wasn't a deal breaker because I couldn't afford a loaded up B&W car. I did try out a car with the B&W and wasn't impressed. Salesman said "the source track is not high quality" sure buddy I am sure you are a sound freaking expert or maybe you've just been schooled in cliches. That's probably a little sour grapes ha and as I found with the H/K you gotta mess with it for a bit to get the settings right for you. Not a bass head but I like a full frequency sound not severely rolled off lows. The bass in this stereo sounds very "up front" like the door speakers must be extending down into the mid-bass pretty far, and the sub is crossed over at 80Hz or maybe 60Hz or just a really sharp slope. I like a 10" sub crossed over a bit higher than that. But if the door speakers can take it, and they seem to, its fine.

Has anyone noticed there are two different equalizers? In the car settings in sound, there is a treb-bass and sub level control. I cranked the sub up to almost max there, it seems to actually add something to the music that way. There is a 5-band(?) equalizer in the sounds settings somewhere you can adjust as well. I haven't played with them enough, I've no idea if one affects the other or they are additive.

At any rate I exclusively listen to Spotify, I had to bump the low end a bit in the EQ in that to get a decent sound for the rock/pop/power-pop type of stuff I listen too. The amp and speakers can clearly handle it and the sound is very crisp. I hate when they don't give you enough adjustment to fill in the low end but I know not blowing out the speakers on all possible adjustments on all possible tracks is a concern of the OEM. I made it work and the sound is nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts