SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you feel about this audio upgade? I can honestly say; that I'm not impressed, especially since my SO has an XC90 with a Bowers and Wilkins which is amazing. I feel like the equalizer does absolutely nothing; and there is really minimal changes using the tone controls. Is there a possible software update I'm missing? Additionally, I feel like I can turn it up as loud as it goes; and its not "too" loud. What is your opinion or observation with the Harman Kardon upgrade in your XC40?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have HK, and came from C30 High Performance system, upgraded to Dynoaudio 4 channels(with no Dolby).
I've predominately listening to iPod with lossless format, mostly rock. In my opinion HK is clearer, and high quality sound (can't compare with BW), but has less bass than Dyno. I think equalizer has change the tone, try remove bass. If you mean presets, like clear, warm and other, they also change the tone. I'm using Custom setup, and pretty happy with it. Sometimes you have too much trebles, sometimes too much bass, but it depends on source (CD). I'm happy customer of HK.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I have the XC40 with HK and I have to say its better than the HK in my 2018 S60 for example I had to sometimes if I wanted the surround sound I had to disable and re-enable the feature when I turned on the car I also blame android BT at the time because it had some issues as well. The HK in th Xc40 stock presets are not the best I had to create a custom preset with surround sound at 100% and both bass and sub at around 75% to actually get good sound across all the types of music I listen too. Yes I have a problem were I have to turn the volume up to 50% to hear it ok across most road types. probably do to the fact they don't have a larger speaker at the bottom of the driver and passenger doors like 99% of the cars out there.
The HK is suppose to a VNC (VEHICLE NOISE COMPENSATION) but I think it doesn't work, and from what I hear from other forums and my experience on how it set to work is very weird. First you turn it to highest volume you can handle like when driving on the freeway to hear the music, then the system will lower the volume when you reduce speed and increase back to your set volume at the speed you set it at. But the big problem I saw is when you start up the car again it doesn't remember the low volume preset and blasts the volume as if you are on the freeway going 65 mph. The HK system sounds good if setup right but it still has some not well thought out features they need to fix.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My HK equalizer settings don't seem to do much especially the bass but my HK sounds pretty good for the price with surround sound enabled on full. I got a day in a basic R Design loaner recently and even when fiddling the basic system speakers sounded inferior in comparison with HK to the point that if it were my car I would not be able to live with it. I don't seem to have any volume problem, mine sounds too loud to put on full (I read on other threads some people fixed their lack of car play volume by removing restricted volume settings on their i phones.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Regarding loudness, my iPod setup up to 75-80% of max loudness, and car at 50-60% max and it's pretty loud, I can't hear road noise. I don't feel that VNC is working or even present. BTW, radio stations and XM Radio even louder.
I set up surround to the max, and set up sound stage for all seats. Balance in the middle. Here is my setup and I'm about 80% of time happy with it.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts