SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the sticky for the B&W stereo settings, and I'm curious how others who have the Harman Kardon system have set-up theirs, and what their general impression is of the system.

I've played around with ours a little and so far I have two main takeaways:

1. When the fade and balance are set to 0,0 (centered), the sound tends to sound like it's coming too much from the driver's footwell, when seated in the driver's position. I had to fade it rearward a little to fix that.

2. Bass seems really inconsistent. I listen almost exclusively to Sirius/XM stations and I can't tell what the issue is, because the bass is sometimes there and sometimes not. Even when it is there, there's definitely not a good "thump" to it. And I thought the V90's HK system had an actual subwoofer somewhere buried next to the rear fender well, unlike the "air-woofer" on the XC40.

So what are your thoughts and settings on the HK system?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I feel like an idiot...

Have had the car a little over a week and I just realized that the HK system comes with the "Sound Experience" app that the B&W system has, with a few different features. With that on and adjusted the system really woke up and sounds amazing and just about on par with the B&W cars I test drove. Or at least close enough to make me feel better about passing on the 4k upgrade. (still love the aesthetic of the B&W system though)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
So I feel like an idiot...

Have had the car a little over a week and I just realized that the HK system comes with the "Sound Experience" app that the B&W system has, with a few different features. With that on and adjusted the system really woke up and sounds amazing and just about on par with the B&W cars I test drove. Or at least close enough to make me feel better about passing on the 4k upgrade. (still love the aesthetic of the B&W system though)
Just as an FYI, try using Spotify instead of Sirius XM, I think you’ll find the sound to be MUCH better.

For $5/month I still keep my Sirius/XM subscription but rarely listen to it. More often than not i either listen to Spotify, Pandora or my own music that I put on a mini flash drive. On both my HK systems and may B&W system the source makes a huge difference. Just my .02. Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that I think I have it dialed in I'll have to see if I notice a difference between Sirius/XM and Spotify. We have both, and I have Spotify set to use the highest sound quality.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just as an FYI, try using Spotify instead of Sirius XM, I think you’ll find the sound to be MUCH better.

For $5/month I still keep my Sirius/XM subscription but rarely listen to it. More often than not i either listen to Spotify, Pandora or my own music that I put on a mini flash drive. On both my HK systems and may B&W system the source makes a huge difference. Just my .02. Enjoy!!!

You're right, Spotify sounds a little more crisp than Sirius/XM, when set to the highest download setting.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You're right, Spotify sounds a little more crisp than Sirius/XM, when set to the highest download setting.
It also sounds far more open because its not as compressed. The compression that Sirius uses makes the softer sounds louder and the loudest sounds softer. This results in a less “airy” sound.....less “air” around each instrument, less life in the sound. Its hard to language but easy to hear. Its why one needs good source material to EASILY hear the difference between the B&W system and the new upgraded HK system.

If you want to really hear your system rip your cd collection onto a flash drive using a lossless format.....enjoy!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm curious what the speaker layout is for the HK system though. So 14 speakers, including the subwoofer.

Without taking things apart, this is my guess:

1 speaker in center dash.
3 speakers in each front door panel.
2 speakers in each rear door panel.
2 speakers in rear headliner.
1 subwoofer

Versus the B&W, which the brochures say has 19 speakers, but I can only account for 17:

2 speakers in center dash.
3 speakers in each front door panel.
3 speakers in each rear door panel.
2 speakers in rear headliner.
1 subwoofer

Are there 4 speakers in the rear headliner of the B&W system (mid-range and tweeter combo)?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It also sounds far more open because its not as compressed. The compression that Sirius uses makes the softer sounds louder and the loudest sounds softer. This results in a less “airy” sound.....less “air” around each instrument, less life in the sound. Its hard to language but easy to hear. Its why one needs good source material to EASILY hear the difference between the B&W system and the new upgraded HK system.

If you want to really hear your system rip your cd collection onto a flash drive using a lossless format.....enjoy!

That would require unearthing my CD collection from the depths of a closet somewhere! :p

·
Registered
416 Posts
Or better yet, start up the turntable and put on some vinyl (though not sure how you'd get the sound on a flash drive....)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts