SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 S60 and everytime I got to a website for say, bosch I cant seem to find any iridium plugs that fit. Does anyone know why?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have a 2017 S60 and everytime I got to a website for say, bosch I cant seem to find any iridium plugs that fit. Does anyone know why?
Not sure, but I honestly wouldn't bother running anything other than OE plugs anyways. You're not going to gain anything from an antermarket or OEM supplier plug that the genuine OE cannot do. The part number is 31673604 and are ~$49 on FCP Euro. Bonus is that next time they're free (minus the cheap shipping of the used plugs back to them).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone use anti seize when doing their sparkplugs? I read that you dont want to use in case you over tighten the spark plugs.And does anyone use PB Blaster to get the plugs out? I assume that you dont want to damage the threads if the plug is in there tight?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Does anyone use anti seize when doing their sparkplugs? I read that you dont want to use in case you over tighten the spark plugs.And does anyone use PB Blaster to get the plugs out? I assume that you dont want to damage the threads if the plug is in there tight?
I've always used anti-seize on every plug I've ever changed. I wouldn't use anti-seize on torque-to-yield (also called "angle torqued") bolts like head bolts but on a spark plug you're fine. Just don't go cranking the **** out of the plug - you only need enough force to crush the washer, usually only between 15-20 ft-lbs. Honestly, I've never even bothered with using a torque wrench on a spark plug - just don't go wild on it.

As for diameter, 14mm spark plugs have been around for a while, just not as common. As we move more and more towards smaller displacement engines with 4 or more valves per cylinder, smaller diameter spark plugs will be more common since the smaller the spark plug hole the more room for valves. I've got vehicles right now with 3 different spark plug sizes, 21mm (the classic "standard" size), 18mm, and 16mm.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
This is actually a pretty controversial topic. I used to do it, but no longer do for three reasons. First, I read that at least some manufacturers specifically tell you not to use it. Second, I remember torquing in some plugs with Never Seize into one my VWs and experiencing that sickening feeling of the threads starting to distort before the torque wrench clicked. And finally, I had one or two Never-Seized plugs come loose on me.

But that's all pretty recent experience. I've used the stuff for many years previously on motorcycles and things and never had a problem.

I looked at my Volvo manual and it is silent on the topic.

PB Blaster is great stuff and I'd use it on troublesome plugs.

And on a tangent, NEVER use Nevr Seize on lug bolts.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Volvo plugs do not use anti seize. Using it could, in theory, cause you to over torque it. There is a plating on the threads that prevents corrosion. I've replaced a countless number of spark plugs on Volvo's and very rarely do I ever have any trouble removing them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Volvo plugs do not use anti seize. Using it could, in theory, cause you to over torque it. There is a plating on the threads that prevents corrosion. I've replaced a countless number of spark plugs on Volvo's and very rarely do I ever have any trouble removing them.
Hi Tech,

Are the sparkplugs for my engine (B4204T43) identical to the other Drive-E engines with Part# 31673604 ?

·
Registered
722 Posts
This is actually a pretty controversial topic. I used to do it, but no longer do for three reasons. First, I read that at least some manufacturers specifically tell you not to use it. Second, I remember torquing in some plugs with Never Seize into one my VWs and experiencing that sickening feeling of the threads starting to distort before the torque wrench clicked. And finally, I had one or two Never-Seized plugs come loose on me.

But that's all pretty recent experience. I've used the stuff for many years previously on motorcycles and things and never had a problem.

I looked at my Volvo manual and it is silent on the topic.

PB Blaster is great stuff and I'd use it on troublesome plugs.

And on a tangent, NEVER use Nevr Seize on lug bolts.
Can't say I've ever had those experiences with anti seize myself - the only plug I've ever had come loose got spit out of the rear cylinder on my old 914 because I was too stupid to do a thorough check on the car after I bought it. Then again, you're likely working with a much larger sample size than I am.

Good points, all of them, but I still persist with anti seize on plugs since I've had more issues with stuck plugs than the other way around. I think the biggest issue is that inexperienced folks were slathering it on plugs like the anti seize was eyeshadow and the spark plug was Tammy Faye Bakker. Just the tiniest bit will do.

As for anti seize on wheel bolts...

https://youtu.be/IsjGMgmR7zk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts