SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Hard starting--fuel related?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cmurphy2266 
#1 ·
My 2001 S60 T5 has begun requiring 4-5 seconds of cranking time whenever the engine is cold (not ice cold--this is California--just cold). I replaced the battery, but now it doesn't seem like that was the culprit.

This morning I noticed some gasoline on the garage floor under the fuel filter area. I had let the car idle there for a few minutes last night--perhaps some gas was leaking? Maybe this is causing all the fuel pressure to bleed out of the system whenever the engine sits, making it hard to start? I'm going to investigate further (i.e. see if I can pinpoint a specific leak), but has anyone had a similar problem? BTW, the fuel filter is a Bosch replacement with about 16-18k on it. The car has 111k.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Ah-yes. Did some searching and the symptoms are a match. I do smell gasoline back there, and I think I do remember receiving that warranty letter a while back. I'll take it in next week. The local dealer (Galpin Valencia) can be incompetent sometimes, but they do a good job honoring extended warranties, e.g. when they replaced my ETM a year ago or so.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Just reporting in. Galpin Volvo Valencia replaced the fuel pump under the extended warranty (not a recall, fwiw). Had it in and out on the same day, washed and everything. They did find a crack in the old pump. Problems are gone. I hope Volvo redesigned the problematic components in the replacement pumps, so this doesn't reoccur.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.