SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1963 runs great once it gets warmed up. It just takes a long time to get it going when it has been sitting for a few days. A LOT of cranking, until it finally catches, then it chugs for a while with no power. Goosing it when cold makes it want to stall. It needs at least 5 minutes of warm up time before I can drive it. After it is warmed up it runs like a champ all day long. Choke works fine. I am thinking the fuel in the lines must all be draining back into the tank while it sits, and I need to crank away to pump it all back. I think I will check flow out of the pump next time it is cold and see if that is the issue. I would think there should still be some fuel in the carbs so I would think I might get some life when I first attempt to start it, but nada.

As far as I know there is no fuel line check valve in these cars is there? I was thinking of putting one in near the tank. I don't see how it could hurt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The float bowls are vented to the atmosphere, and your fuel is evaporating after several days. Then when you go to start it again the fuel pump (weak?) has to refill the bowls. It also sounds like the "choke" is not properly enriching the fuel mixture for cold engine conditions. I might suggest trying some cleaner like "Techron", it may or may not work if it doesn't then you're into rebuilding the carbs and either replacing or rebuilding the fuel pump. BTW, the fuel pump does have "valves" in it to prevent the back flow of fuel to the tank.
Good luck with it!!
jedd

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had this same problem. I installed an electric fuel pump and a switch. I only use it to prime the system after sitting a long time. Starts right up now.

dean

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Agreed, fuel pump. Your '63 might have one with a manual priming lever, try reaching under the pump and see if you can feel it. If so, lift it a few times to get things pumping. But the real fix would be to rebuild or replace it.

You might also want to check the floats and float heights. If they're off, it will make this worse.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The float bowls are vented to the atmosphere, and your fuel is evaporating after several days. Then when you go to start it again the fuel pump (weak?) has to refill the bowls. It also sounds like the "choke" is not properly enriching the fuel mixture for cold engine conditions. I might suggest trying some cleaner like "Techron", it may or may not work if it doesn't then you're into rebuilding the carbs and either replacing or rebuilding the fuel pump. BTW, the fuel pump does have "valves" in it to prevent the back flow of fuel to the tank.
Good luck with it!!
jedd
Thanks! That makes total sense about the fuel evaporating. The choke (OK, the fuel enrichment device) does work, but might not be adjusted completely properly. I know it is pulling both needles down and the revs drop if I push it back in too early. I have suspected the fuel pump, so I might just go ahead and service it. Easy enough to swap it and it is not too costly a piece. I will take a closer look at the floats too.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I'm late to the party, but I agree with the above assessments.

My '58 did the same thing. Float bowls would be empty after a few days of sitting and the fuel pump (through the glass bowl) would be dry. I had no manual priming lever, and figured out that cranking the car with the ignition "off" to fill the fuel bowl up before attemtping to start it would result in smoother driving much quicker than letting it idle for a while. Luckily, my car has the push button check thingy (official term) on the passenger side of the firewall, so I could crank it from under the hood and watch the fuel pump bowl. I eventually put a new diaphragm in my old fuel pump and it got much better. Wasn't hard to do at all.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Are those on sale or normal price? I'd be leary of quality if it's the latter.

I chose the rebuild because mine has the lovely glass bowl on it. I wanted to keep that on the B16B. For my ongoing B20 rebuild, I used a new all-metal one from VP.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is the normal price. Right now they have it on sale for $28. I figured IPD is a pretty reliable source, they would not sell junk. Would they?

I had the glass bowl pump in my 1960 B16. Yes, very cool, much more so than a dumb metal one, like the one in my B18.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
IPD does sell junk, unfortunately. I'm not bad-mouthing them, as I have bought (and will continue to buy) things from them. This is one part I'd avoid, to be honest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts