SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy guys. So I have an 02 t5 manual that blew it's rad on the hiway a few days ago. As far as I know, the engine did not over heat but it did run dry of coolant within seconds. Whoever came up with the idea to mount the rad on its plastic coolant tanks is a dingus.

Anyhoo, I replaced the rad today, started her up, (which was difficult, needed a little gas and engine was barely breaking 450rpm on a full battery) she struggled to catch and took a second to get up to idle speed and puffed out a pretty steady stream of white smoke. I put my hand in the exhaust fumes and it didn't feel oily, just wet. Smelled Sweet which was weird since I only filled her with distilled water. This continued until the engine warmed up on my drive to work, and I could not get it to produce any white smoke. I'm on shift right now, should be done in an hour or so here and I'm going update with my next startup attempt in a bit.

Anyone got any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
You may have a blown head gasket or a warped head.

I would do a compression test to rule it out. Also check your oil to see if it's milky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the oil when I got to work, a little dark but it didn't seem milky. I'll give it a check when I get out there again. I'll run some compression tests tomorrow, I'll have to dig around for my old man tester. Thanks for the lead though!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I checked the oil when I got to work, a little dark but it didn't seem milky. I'll give it a check when I get out there again. I'll run some compression tests tomorrow, I'll have to dig around for my old man tester. Thanks for the lead though!
No problem. There's also a test kit that will tell you if combustion gasses have got into the coolant reservoir. If it passes that test, then the head gasket is fine. I think most auto parts stores should have that kit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I just got home, and I think I'm up **** creek sans paddle. When I started it after work, no white smoke, still started a little rough, but otherwise drove, lacking a little power. I noticed an intermittent misfire here and there that would sometimes steal all my power, and then it would come surging back. In the 25km I drove, I probably put in 10 litres of water, so it's going somewhere. Then, I got home and pulled the oil fill cap off and found this shiny brown creamy looking sludge all over the the bottom of the cap and at the filler neck. How pooched am I?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
That sucks man!

Looks like most definitely a blown head gasket or warped head. This engines are notorious for warping the head quickly when over heated.

I think your only options are to rebuild the engine, find a engine to swap it with, or find another car and part this one out or sell it as is.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All good man. Ill run compression tests tomorrow to try and rule out the gasket. I don't mind doing a gasket, sure itd be a bitch and the might as wells will slay my wallet, but i dont want to get rid of her. How pricey do heads run?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
All good man. Ill run compression tests tomorrow to try and rule out the gasket. I don't mind doing a gasket, sure itd be a bitch and the might as wells will slay my wallet, but i dont want to get rid of her. How pricey do heads run?
Yeah but if it's a warped head (more likely that than just a blown head gasket) replacing the head gasket will be useless. So once you have the head off you'll want to check it and the block with a straight edge.

You might want to PM the Swedespeed member "dougy" he has a few 2.3L T5 engines sitting around. He is also a wealth of information.

Here's probably the lowest price for a new head: http://www.tascaparts.com/volvo/s60...gine-cat/engine-scat/?part_name=cylinder-head

Used or rebuilt should be somewhere around $500 I'm guessing. Luckily I haven't had to deal with a warped head or blown head gasket yet so I don't have first hand experience.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. It'd probably take me a little while to scrape up the funds for a head. How much were you looking for?

Also, since Im going to have the head out, I might as well make a few upgrades here and there. Anyone have experience putting fatter cams in these things?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i had head gasket failure without mixing with oil, the coolant reservoir dropped about a 1/2" each day of normal driving.

put a new head gasket and its been fine since.. lightly sanded the head and block with very fine grit sandpaper wrapped around steel sanding block (true straight block)

but my brother prefers those rubber bristle cleaning discs

also, you can do the gasket without unbolting turbo, just unbolt manifold, push it away from head and lift with 2 people

you will want to check the head for warping once you have it out.

if thats the case you can either have it shaved or find another one

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good news! A local machine shop will surface and pressure test the head for under 200 bucks, and I'm starting to think this is an excellent opportunity to squeeze some more power out of the engine. I was thinking a new down pipe might be cool as well as cams. Anyone know of any good Canadian source for aftermarket volvo parts? I want to avoid America as the Canadian dollar is like 65cents to the American

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Good news! A local machine shop will surface and pressure test the head for under 200 bucks, and I'm starting to think this is an excellent opportunity to squeeze some more power out of the engine. I was thinking a new down pipe might be cool as well as cams. Anyone know of any good Canadian source for aftermarket volvo parts? I want to avoid America as the Canadian dollar is like 65cents to the American
That is good news. Keep us posted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.