SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daughter Susan has a 96 NA 850 with about 240K miles. Doesn't use oil, usually runs well, few problems. Lately in Oklahoma's spring wet weather it has failed to start several times and seems to be getting worse.<br>Anybody had this problem? What did it turn out to be?<br>Many thanks for any help you can give!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Hard start/no start in damp weather (Walrus3)

Remove and clean your cap and rotor<br>It may be time for a replacement if that works

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Hard start/no start in damp weather (JRL)

Ignition wires old?<p>Does this car have a coil at each spark plug?<p>George Dill

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: Hard start/no start in damp weather (Walrus3)

I had a similar problem. Mechanic showed me this: if it will not start, pull the wire from the ignition coil (the other end goes to the cap and rotor) and try starting it with the wire near the coil, so it arcs a little spark across. this basically increases the voltage to the plugs.<p>In my case, the rain drains in the cowling were clogged with debris, so rain water would spill over onto the cap and rotor. Once they were dry it was no longer an issue. You can clean the drains with a little stick or something.<p>This happened when I first bought my car. Then I replaced cap/rotor/plugs/wires and it has been no problem since.<p>Check those drains! They are in the plastic part you see near the windshield when you open the hood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts