SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 2007 Volvo Xc90 3.2L since 2010 when I purchased it with 70,000 miles. A few years later when I hit 130000 miles it started shifting hard between 3rd and 4th gear after I would be driving for a while. It continued to do this intermittently for the next 5 years. Several times I had asked the dealer to look at the problem they told me it was due to software updates and installed those, but the problem always persisted. Since it would only happen occasionally I learned to live with it. About 6 months ago with 208000 miles on my vehicle I decided to change the transmission fluid despite all of the suggestions by Volvo that it is not necessary to do so. After changing it I immediately noticed how smooth the car shifted and my hard shifts no longer happen. My gas mileage improved by 2 miles per gallon. I speculated that the fluid had lost its ability to keep the transmission cool and over time as the transmission heated and the gears expanded and would cause it to slip. I wish I would have done this a long time ago. I hope this post helps others who are experiencing the same issue. If you need to know how to do it please Google it there are some great resources out there and a kit that is made to help flush the transmission fluid. It's a pretty easy procedure it only took me about 25 minutes. Good luck

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ditto! I was debating if I should or shouldn’t. Wasn’t experiencing hard shifts as much as not down shifting going up steep hills. Definitely made me want the V8 at that moment. Finally at 110k I went ahead and did a partial flush.

The car immediately shifted better. I did another flush at 113k and plan to do a more thorough flush later. First time I didn’t have enough time to do multiple flushes and the second, I didn’t have enough fluid on hand.

Anyway, my mpg was about 20 highway while driving from Maryland to N.C. The last two trips per my trip computer, I averaged 25mpg in 70mph for the 6.5 hours. I reset the trip computer when I reached 70mph but didn’t reset again until I arrived to my destination which included one stop for gas. I also replaced the AOC, angle gear and bevel?(the on in the rear) with the fuel filter.

2010 xc90 3.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,299 Posts
Very nice post about your experience and glad you decided to change the fluid. With over 200k miles on the original fluid, you might benefit from another fluid change within 5-10k miles to remove more of the floating media and old fluid leftover. I did a change on a 2.5t with 106k miles and there was so much floating media (friction material, carbon, etc.) it stuck to the inside wall of the clear plastic tube upon draining and I could not imagine how badly it stuck inside the transmission ports & channels. By the 8th quart, it started to get a pink hue without the large floating media.

Transmission fluid is like engine oil, the additives break down (e.g. friction modifiers for the friction clutch plates, anti-foam agents, etc.). The multiviscosity also starts to break down so over time you have a thicker oil when cold and thinner oil when hot.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
So what's the final verdict on these transmission (Aisin) when it's time to do a fluid change, you're over 100K, but one has not been done previously?
Drain and fill -OR- do the flush? I read it the transmission takes 7 quarts, but will require roughly 12 quarts to fully flush.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,299 Posts
Flush using the 3/4" tube through the transmission cooler (radiator) and it is just as safe as a drain and fill since there isn't a fluid exchange machine forcing the fluid through. If you are going to use the Mobil 3309 ATF, they now come in 6-quart boxes (used to be 12qt box) so the price has increased a little compared to the price in older threads. Buy 12 quarts total, especially if it is your first fluid flush.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-55221-...ds=mobil+3309&qid=1560836966&s=gateway&sr=8-1 Offered on Amazon Prime
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-123062 Offered on Summit Racing, check shipping rates

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Flush using the 3/4" tube through the transmission cooler (radiator) and it is just as safe as a drain and fill since there isn't a fluid exchange machine forcing the fluid through. If you are going to use the Mobil 3309 ATF, they now come in 6-quart boxes (used to be 12qt box) so the price has increased a little compared to the price in older threads. Buy 12 quarts total, especially if it is your first fluid flush.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-55221-...ds=mobil+3309&qid=1560836966&s=gateway&sr=8-1 Offered on Amazon Prime
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-123062 Offered on Summit Racing, check shipping rates
The Summit Racing link, as of today, has the 6-pack of 1-quart bottles for $27/per box. So long as shipping isn't egregious, that a very good deal.

AMa

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
948 Posts
The Summit Racing link, as of today, has the 6-pack of 1-quart bottles for $27/per box. So long as shipping isn't egregious, that a very good deal.

AMa
Wow, that is a good deal! Ground shipping quote for me is $9.99 for 2 boxes. They also offer free shipping for orders over $100, so I think I’ll just buy ahead for the next flush. Thanks!!

BD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I received a reply from the seller. As I suspected,

"Thank you for contacting us. This part number is for 1 quart and not (6). "

The listing was updated last night. Revised information: Quantity...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Whoever tell you to not change ATF oil kick him in ass and say this Branko sending you... :)
Im now 315.000 km and every 30.000 km more or less (now will be 34.000 km) as Aisin prescribed
changing oil regularly with MObil 3309 5 speed Xc90 2.5t 2006 and my trans is going strong.
And I drive very fast and furious all this 13 years.
Just dont use any machine any pumps any pressure oil ect. Trans have own pump...:deadhorse:
When broke will change with new one. Not Volvo crap factor gypsy business refurbished but new never used. :)

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
948 Posts
Wow, that is a good deal! Ground shipping quote for me is $9.99 for 2 boxes. They also offer free shipping for orders over $100, so I think I’ll just buy ahead for the next flush. Thanks!!

BD

Well, finally got around to the flush this weekend. Wow, what a difference! It wasn’t shifting badly before, but now it’s so smooth it’s almost like a CVT. Old fluid was definitely in need of being replaced. About as black as my worst oil change a few decades ago.

Thanks to all for the great write up in the stickies and the notice on the price at Summit Racing!

BD

2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P* (1994 854T FWD, 2005 S60 2.5T FWD, & 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD RIP)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can anyone clear up the difference in methods or which is more thorough ? I've read and watched DIY videos on this. I have not flushed my own car yet but plan to soon. I do have VidaDice.
The method suggested in the second post of this thread uses the oil cooler to pump out the fluid: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...on-fluid-flush
But the other method suggests draining from the pan and calibrating the fluid level with VidaDice which is not mentioned in the first link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAb9p8Wph-M
FCP sells the transmission service kit with a new plug, tube and related gaskets. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-transmission-service-kit-genuine-volvo-kit

Is the first method a reliable routine maintenance to do after the car has previously had a complete flush and refill, or are these just 2 ways to end up with the same result?

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,299 Posts
Assuming you have a 3.2 or V8, both with 6spd... It's not listed in your signature.

They are both pretty much the same as in draining the transmission and refilling it. Some people do both (I've done it once in an XC90), where they do a drain/fill first so all new fluid is in the pan, then do the cooler method so new fluid runs through the transmission and torque converter. The oil cooler method is cleaner and easier to do from the top and you can quickly run through Drive/Reverse/Gears 1-3 to get new fluid pumping through as it drains. I like to use a chair next to front fender for the drain bottle, like how this person does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WfY8MQc1B8&t=1294s so I can see the level. I use old washer fluid bottles I premarked at the 2qt,3qt, and 4qt levels and hold it in place with either blue tape or place a few filled oil bottles around it. The level is not checked with VIDA, it is a level drain plug done at a certain temp (using VIDA) shown in the video link you listed. With either method, you can reset the fluid counter (only) in VIDA. Do NOT reset the adaptations, just the counter.

What I don't like about the FCP kit is it does not come with the fill plug o-ring/seal (p/n 30735186). If you don't want to mess with the fill-plug, you can pour the transmission fluid into the upper cooler hose (it flows into the transmission). All you need is a smaller funnel that fits the line, like one found for the kitchen (non-automotive).

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...and-the-ugly&p=7334007&viewfull=1#post7334007 Other info and resources for the 6spd transmission and which type of fluid

Once you do it the first time, you realize how simple the job is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts