SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do the new SPA Volvo models have hard plastic seat backs? They look and feel cheap and out of place.

Do they have a function? Is it part of the new WHIPS system? The service manager told me they thought it might be containing the massaging seat mechanism.

I much prefer the older Volvo seat backs, either leather or cloth - a high quality feel.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Based on the installation instruction for the optional tablet for 2nd row passengers (instruction_VCC-485948-18.pdf, from Volvo's accessory page), that plastic piece is just a standalone shell that covers the back of the 1st row seat. Any heating, ventilation, massage, and adjustable lumbar support mechanism aren't likely to mount to the shell.

I suppose you could remove it to upholster with something you prefer.

Imho, having it in plastic just as is makes it more durable in the long run.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Why do the new SPA Volvo models have hard plastic seat backs? They look and feel cheap and out of place.

Do they have a function? Is it part of the new WHIPS system? The service manager told me they thought it might be containing the massaging seat mechanism.

I much prefer the older Volvo seat backs, either leather or cloth - a high quality feel.
For every person that wants it one way, someone else wants it another.

For me, with little kids kicking the chair, the plastic is a nice solution. A wipe with a damp rag and it looks like new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.