SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking in to see whether this exists on the XC90.

Mercedes allows you, on putting in a new CD, to record it. It also allows you to play off a jump drive / USB. Is there a similar mechanism? Been getting used to the car, and just now getting mourned to this.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Nope, no hard drive for music storage. You can put your music on a usb thumbdrive and plug it in the usb port in the center console.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Checking in to see whether this exists on the XC90.

Mercedes allows you, on putting in a new CD, to record it. It also allows you to play off a jump drive / USB. Is there a similar mechanism? Been getting used to the car, and just now getting mourned to this.
Unfortunately not. This is one of my few complaints with the technology in the XC90. I've had several vehicles (Infiniti, Nissan, Honda) with a 40 Gig HD built in, and it is very convenient. Put the CD in once, it records, and you never need the physical CD again.

Yes, I realize that can be accomplished with a USB thumb stick also, but (to me at least) it takes more effort. For instance, with our home computer setup (Apple Mini), and my work computer (Surface Pro 3), we literally don't own a CD drive in our household. So, it's rather difficult to burn a disc to digital file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
For instance, with our home computer setup (Apple Mini), and my work computer (Surface Pro 3), we literally don't own a CD drive in our household. So, it's rather difficult to burn a disc to digital file.
FWIW, I picked up a cheap USB portable CD/DVD drive for somewhere around $25 for a Mac Mini. I got it mostly for adding CDs to my iTunes library, and it works well for that.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
CD's are the floppy disk of this century. Obsolete by streaming - almost everyone has their music library on their smartphone.

·
Registered
138 Posts
FWIW, I picked up a cheap USB portable CD/DVD drive for somewhere around $25 for a Mac Mini. I got it mostly for adding CDs to my iTunes library, and it works well for that.
Exactly -- that's my plan as well. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CD's are the floppy disk of this century. Obsolete by streaming - almost everyone has their music library on their smartphone.
I do not. I have 14,656 songs. No smartphone is large enough to house them. So, my options to access them are to place a subset on a USB drive, or stream over the cell network.

This is a silly oversight on Volvo's part.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I do not. I have 14,656 songs. No smartphone is large enough to house them. So, my options to access them are to place a subset on a USB drive, or stream over the cell network.
How big is your library? 128GB iPhones are available, which could certainly put a dent in your storage needs. Many (most? all?) Android phones have SD card slots for adding / increasing storage.

·
Registered
215 Posts
How big is your library? 128GB iPhones are available, which could certainly put a dent in your storage needs. Many (most? all?) Android phones have SD card slots for adding / increasing storage.
I could go too deeply too quickly on this - but I will leave it at the following:
1) The sound system in the XC90 is worthy of and supports lossless audio.
2) 128GB "ain't squat" for lossless audio

I keep a tiny bus-powered mSata external enclosure with a 1TB drive that barely holds my music library for portable use - but it does hold the complete library. As much as I love the car otherwise, I hold out near-zero hope that it will ever support me keeping my complete portable library available for my (weekly) long drives. To be fair, though - I've yet to see any car that can do it. Just the fact that the system in the XC90 even SUPPORTS lossless audio through something besides shiny discs is a step forward at least.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've had several vehicles (Infiniti, Nissan, Honda) with a 40 Gig HD built in, and it is very convenient. Put the CD in once, it records, and you never need the physical CD again.
I'd be surprised if any disk manufacturer is making 40 GB drives any more. A more current solution would be something like the Samsung or SanDisk 128 GB SSD's. Probably a lot more reliable in an environ of temperature extremes and shock / vibration.

To be honest - I certainly wouldn't rip CD's to an internal disk and expect that you'd never need the optical disc again. Hard drives fail, car (and internal drive) could be damaged in an accident, maybe you just want to sell the vehicle (and buy an XC90?!), etc. What do you do with all the music on the vehicle's internal drive? How do you get it out of the car (especially if you can't find those discs you ripped?)

More likely than not I think Volvo took the decision that most people will manage their music libraries external to the vehicle - whether using something like iTunes (blech) on your PC or Mac, a similar music library program - or even now in the cloud.

Of my ~17,000 songs I've accumulated over the years I have around 4,500 favourite ones that are on (in?!) my Android phone ... and I use Bluetooth connectivity to listen to it in the vehicle. On my todo list (albeit with a low priority) is to dump these to a UFD (USB flash drive) that will work with the Volvo Sensus system. I've misplaced the link, but someone documented how you can setup files with playlists on a flash drive - that would be my ultimate goal.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

You're part of the 0.0003% of customers and potential customers this might impact. So it's not an oversight on Volvo's part - they just decided not to cater to people outside the mainstream (and let's be honest, lossless audio is outside the mainstream)

I say this while sitting next to an embarrassingly nice vinyl analog setup - so I understand what you're saying.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're part of the 0.0003% of customers and potential customers this might impact. So it's not an oversight on Volvo's part - they just decided not to cater to people outside the mainstream (and let's be honest, lossless audio is outside the mainstream)

I say this while sitting next to an embarrassingly nice vinyl analog setup - so I understand what you're saying.
I get it. Just bugs me that our 5-year old Mercedes does that, no problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lossless is a good format for archiving your tracks, but for making your music available to take with you, how about transcoding them to something else like 256bit AAC? You'll still have the lossless at home.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Lossless is a good format for archiving your tracks, but for making your music available to take with you, how about transcoding them to something else like 256bit AAC? You'll still have the lossless at home.
Why would I pay for a B&W system and settle for a lossy experience??

·
Registered
674 Posts
My Jeep has a hard drive in it, and it's a feature I absolutely love. I've never ripped any music to it, but you can use it like a DVR to pause and rewind live audio. This really comes in handy when I'm listening to terrestrial or satellite radio and I get a phone call. It would be even cooler if you could save songs that were in the buffer to the hard drive, but I'm guessing this isn't possible due to legal reasons.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

Not an oversight.

I use a 160gb iPod with lossless files only. Works perfectly with high resolution. It's not a terabyte, but then I rarely sense I need a song not on the drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Why would I pay for a B&W system and settle for a lossy experience??
Because once the car is picking up road / wind / engine noise the difference is negligible between a well encoded AAC/MP3 and a lossless encoding?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not an oversight.

I use a 160gb iPod with lossless files only. Works perfectly with high resolution. It's not a terabyte, but then I rarely sense I need a song not on the drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah - I have an iPod Classic 6G that I hot-rodded with a 240GB SSD. I might pull that out of retirement. I can play selected ALAC (Apple Lossless m4a) from there and then maybe just switch in a smaller flash drive for my multichannel flac stuff (if the multichannel stuff will even play properly - have not tried it yet).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts