SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am driving in regular mode and it seems like the car downshifts pretty harsh into 2nd gear(around 20-25 MPH). It does it about 75% of the time or so. Thoughts?

·
Registered
301 Posts
need more info. what year,model and mileage?

·
Registered
418 Posts
There is a harder downshift in these cars, but check with your dealer for any updates to the TCM (Transmission Control Module). There have a been at least a couple of TCM updates released that improved the downshift to second to some degree.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My car was delivered 10/27 and I have not experienced harsh downshifts during the first 500 miles of use. I'm assuming this car was new enough that all current updates were done, either at the factory or by the dealer, before I took delivery.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Correct. Your dealer should have performed all available updates prior to delivering the car. I didn't notice the harder downshift until about 3500-4000 miles and it only occurs at really low speed after leaving the interstate or road with a similar speed. The behavior makes me believe it is simply the adaptive nature of the transmission. I don't really find it bothersome though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My S60 T6 does the same thing - I've got 8500 miles on mine now, and I'm pretty sure it's the same as it was at delivery. Like you seaton463 - It's not horrible, but I notice when trying to pull up to a light smoothly it's a little harsh when it downshifts into second. I just had my 7500 mile service, and ass-u-me the dealer performed any available updates. I'll have to check with them to see now.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is there a way for us to check these TCM updates ourselves? It seems that Canada isn't getting any updates whatsoever.
Not correct, my dealer in Calgary checks and installs any updates whenever the car goes in. When I got my S60 it didn't have sport mode. After a visit to the dealer, for a door lock issue, I was told an update had been installed and I then had sport mode. I don't recall the exact number but I would guess about 5-6 updates of various modules have been installed. I believe they're all listed on the work receipts including part numbers. The item descriptions are usually pretty cryptic and won't tell you what the update really does.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Not correct, my dealer in Calgary checks and installs any updates whenever the car goes in. When I got my S60 it didn't have sport mode. After a visit to the dealer, for a door lock issue, I was told an update had been installed and I then had sport mode. I don't recall the exact number but I would guess about 5-6 updates of various modules have been installed. I believe they're all listed on the work receipts including part numbers. The item descriptions are usually pretty cryptic and won't tell you what the update really does.
I gave my VIN to Volvo Cars of Canada and the guy I spoke with said there were no updates whatsoever. Reason I e-mailed them was for my sunroof issue. I got my car in June/July 2011, so assuming updates came out since then, I haven't gotten a single TCM/Sensus/ECU update. It sounded like he didn't know half of what I was saying though...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I gave my VIN to Volvo Cars of Canada and the guy I spoke with said there were no updates whatsoever. Reason I e-mailed them was for my sunroof issue. I got my car in June/July 2011, so assuming updates came out since then, I haven't gotten a single TCM/Sensus/ECU update. It sounded like he didn't know half of what I was saying though...
Do you have sport mode on the transmission? What about MyPOI in Sensus (if you have the nav package)?

Both of those came out as updates after June/July and are easy for the user to check.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mine does the rough shift at times.I just got a tcm update done today. we'll see if there are any shift changes. i too was getting a harsh downshift. p.s the s/w part number is 30788938.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mine does the rough shift at times.I just got a tcm update done today. we'll see if there are any shift changes. i too was getting a harsh downshift. p.s the s/w part number is 30788938.
It seems to have made my shifts softer,and in sport mode the car seems to be lacking the "pep" it used to. Maybe with more miles on it it will get better. Before when you put the car in sport mode the car almost jumped and took off, now it just seems less in a hurry......

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
It seems to have made my shifts softer,and in sport mode the car seems to be lacking the "pep" it used to. Maybe with more miles on it it will get better. Before when you put the car in sport mode the car almost jumped and took off, now it just seems less in a hurry......
That might be the adaptive software adapting to your driving habits. But then again, it hasn't adapted to mine I think. Still feels the same as since I first got the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey baggerben and geokilla, what do you guys think about the upshifts in the T5 S60? I can't seem to get the hang of it. Really its first gear to second. Some days it feels fine and controllable. Some days it feels like the car is lacking power and then other days it feels so jumpy and confused at what to do. I have 4500 miles on the car and nothing in the acceleration seems consistent.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Hey baggerben and geokilla, what do you guys think about the upshifts in the T5 S60? I can't seem to get the hang of it. Really its first gear to second. Some days it feels fine and controllable. Some days it feels like the car is lacking power and then other days it feels so jumpy and confused at what to do. I have 4500 miles on the car and nothing in the acceleration seems consistent.
The first gear throttle tip in is really jumpy for me as well. Most of the time I'll get a power and RPM surge in first then power drops off in 2nd and onwards. Compared to my S70 where I know exactly how much power I am getting and when to expect an upshift, the S60's transmission can use a software update in D mode. There's no such problem in Sport mode iirc, but I'm not gonna drive around in Sport mode. Waste of gas. Sport mode also doesn't seem to upshift to 5th and 6th if you're starting from a dead stop.

I do notice that the software hesitates to upshift. Some like the feature for additional engine braking, I personally don't. Say I'm accelerating from stop to 70Km/h, then cruise, the transmission will stay in 5th for a good 5 to 10 seconds before shifting to 6th. Again, a software thing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The first gear throttle tip in is really jumpy for me as well. Most of the time I'll get a power and RPM surge in first then power drops off in 2nd and onwards. Compared to my S70 where I know exactly how much power I am getting and when to expect an upshift, the S60's transmission can use a software update in D mode. There's no such problem in Sport mode iirc, but I'm not gonna drive around in Sport mode. Waste of gas. Sport mode also doesn't seem to upshift to 5th and 6th if you're starting from a dead stop.

I do notice that the software hesitates to upshift. Some like the feature for additional engine braking, I personally don't. Say I'm accelerating from stop to 70Km/h, then cruise, the transmission will stay in 5th for a good 5 to 10 seconds before shifting to 6th. Again, a software thing.
the software that was installed does away with extra engine braking,i think it may also help with reduced oil consumption? the trans in sport mode still seems lazy? put over 100 miles with it so far...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I went to my dealer and had them check this out along with a wind noise issue when the sunroof is tilted. They found the TSB for the windnoise fix(had to order plugs, getting it installed next week). However, for the harsh downshift issue, the technician said there were no available TCM updates. I unfortunately did not have the inclination to show him this thread but took him at his word. Besides, there actually wasn't any harsh downshifts for the two days leading up to the car going in to the dealer. However, the harsh downshifting is now back and usually sticks around for a good 30-40 minutes of driving until it minimizes.

Baggerben, I noticed you have an r-design that you got the TCM update on. I have just a T5. Anybody else have the T5 and get this TCM upgrade? Anyone else notice the hard downshifting?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ive got hard downshifting as well. Went in for software upgrades and all software was checked and up to date. I also did a proper tranny flush and fill. it helped a little but came back within 1000 miles.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts