SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new 2013 XC60 R-Design and the tranny does this awful hard downshift at low speeds. It mostly happens when coasting at a low speed as I approach at stop sign/stop light just before I am about to apply the brake. It slams into a lower gear. I've also noticed that when I go from reverse to drive, there seems to be a long delay before the drive gear is engaged. I'm not used to that, so when it happens and I step on the gas, the tranny slams into first.

Is anyone else experiencing these characteristics? I only have 250 miles on the car. Will it go away?

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
When it does the hard downshift, how high do the REVs go? Normal would be around 1500 RPM I think which you will notice but it shouldn't feel "hard".

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm taking it in tomorrow. I haven't paid attention to the RPMs, but I will the next time. By hard, I mean that not only the driver notices it. The driver and the passengers can feel it throughout the whole car.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Not normal. At what range of speeds do you feel this? Look forward to hearing what you find out.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been paying attention now to when it happens and it appears to be when coasting at around 25 MPH and the RPMs are around 1200 and when the car is downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I've been paying attention now to when it happens and it appears to be when coasting at around 25 MPH and the RPMs are around 1200 and when the car is downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.
Well that is normal behavior as far as shifting behavior though it shouldn't feel "hard" or "jerky" though you will at the very least feel/notice it somewhat in a normal car.

Is it more/less noticeable when braking softly or braking firmly?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a test drive with the tech yesterday when I dropped my car off, and it did it for the tech. The tech said it is definitely not normal. They said something about resetting all of the car's sensors, whatever that means.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So my car has been at the dealer since this past Thursday. At first they thought it was a software issue, then they told me I needed a new transmission, and now they are back to thinking it is a software issue again. They plugged a laptop into the car and it shows that the car sometimes downshifts two gears instead of just one. Apparently other 2013 R-Designs are reporting the same issue. My dealership is now waiting for Volvo to come up with a software patch. Is anyone else experiencing this with their 2013 R-Design?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
So my car has been at the dealer since this past Thursday. At first they thought it was a software issue, then they told me I needed a new transmission, and now they are back to thinking it is a software issue again. They plugged a laptop into the car and it shows that the car sometimes downshifts two gears instead of just one. Apparently other 2013 R-Designs are reporting the same issue. My dealership is now waiting for Volvo to come up with a software patch. Is anyone else experiencing this with their 2013 R-Design?
Wasn't there a thread about the '13 AWD tranny being a different design from the earlier models? Might this be a '13 "only" problem?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So a week later, and Volvo sent an engineer and a regional manager out to look at my car. They determined that my car needs a new transmission. They assured me that I would never know that my transmission was replaced. They say it's just a matter of removing the old one and "popping" in a new one. They said they got plenty of practice replacing transmissions on the XC90 T6. They offered to make my first four car payments. That all seems fair to me, I'm just curious what others have experienced with having their transmission replaced.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hmmm. I don't drive my wife's 2012 RD too often, but I've noticed a rougher downshift at low speeds and I swear I think I am feeling it slip on the 1-2 shift (9K miles). I need to drive it a bit more to be sure though...

I would not worry about the tranny replacement. My guess is that you'll be fine. Our own 2000 Honda Odyssey had the tranny replaced twice (courtesy of Honda...long story there, class action lawsuit by owners on these, etc.), and they were all fine....until they eventually pooped out again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I now have 200 miles on a 2013 R Design and I think the transmission is great. So what you are reporting definitely seems wrong. So, if they put in a new transmission and make 4 payments, then I think you have a winner.

Not sure if this has been posted, but I like the new 2013 R shifter. I had a 2011 T6 (sold) and now have the new R and if you use semi-auto shifting it is has a great feel.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I now have 200 miles on a 2013 R Design and I think the transmission is great. So what you are reporting definitely seems wrong. So, if they put in a new transmission and make 4 payments, then I think you have a winner.

Not sure if this has been posted, but I like the new 2013 R shifter. I had a 2011 T6 (sold) and now have the new R and if you use semi-auto shifting it is has a great feel.
drg - does your 2013 have an auto sport mode - or is it still regular and manual?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
drg - does your 2013 have an auto sport mode - or is it still regular and manual?
All MY13s have sport mode (T6 and R-design models).

·
Registered
837 Posts
All MY13s have sport mode (T6 and R-design models).
Wow - do you know if there are any plans to retrofit that to 2012's Grecian? I know we had all speculated that might show up as a possible "patch" at some point give that our Euro brethren got it as an update.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to track this thread. Just bought an XC60 Certified used with 59K on it. I think it's the t6. I notice what feels like a hard downshift at around 25MPH as well. Dealer says it's unusual but to try to replicate it in the Geartronic mode. Which I'll do tonight. I went from a 4c 2.3 tubro Saab to this V6 and was thinking perhaps it was just a larger engine. Overall I feel the shift of this automatic more than I ever did in the Saab even when it had 150K miles on it.

Do these cars generally shift a little rough?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I want to track this thread. Just bought an XC60 Certified used with 59K on it. I think it's the t6. I notice what feels like a hard downshift at around 25MPH as well. Dealer says it's unusual but to try to replicate it in the Geartronic mode. Which I'll do tonight. I went from a 4c 2.3 tubro Saab to this V6 and was thinking perhaps it was just a larger engine. Overall I feel the shift of this automatic more than I ever did in the Saab even when it had 150K miles on it.

Do these cars generally shift a little rough?
My '15 T6 AWD shifts smooth as butter. Until you slap it into Sport Mode and bang out some full throttle paddle shifts. :D

·
Registered
747 Posts
Once in a while we get a harder than expected downshift, but it's only occasional, although I engine brake very frequently by downshifting. Also, your definition of hard may not be the same as mine. Mine is not hard, but just detectable. It doesn't bother me, but it is noticeable and only happens sometimes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts