SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been very happy with the paint job on my car in general - nice uniform color, minimal orange peel, etc. Since the weather is so nice here in Chi-town (March 20th - 85 degrees F :eek:), I hand washed my car for the first time since last fall. I did not detect any paint chips at all on the car even on the hood and front valence. Amazing!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I've been very happy with the paint job on my car in general - nice uniform color, minimal orange peel, etc. Since the weather is so nice here in Chi-town (March 20th - 85 degrees F :eek:), I hand washed my car for the first time since last fall. I did not detect any paint chips at all on the car even on the hood and front valence. Amazing!
+1 I also have been very happy with the paint holding up to rock chips; I drive almost 90% on the highway and none of my previous Volvo's (2004 S40/2007 S60R) or Mazda (2010 MZ3 w/Simonize Glasscoat) held up quite as good. Lets knock on wood and hope it stays that way!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I have a friend that works in graphic design for a prominent movie company, specifically in car design, and when he saw my Volvo he actually did a double-take, exclaiming how good the paint job was, citing that there was minimal orange peel. I was flattered. :) Volvo does an excellent job with their paint jobs.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I've got a lot of chips and nicks all over the front bumper cover. Since there's nothing I can do about that without using one of those ugly bras I just consider them battle scars from our rat race of a commute in the Washington dc area. When it gets bad enough I'll just replace the bumper cover.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The paint does exhibit orange peel. It's about as good as I've seen on any newer production car, but it's still obvious if you look. Other than that, the paint job is really good. Color match between bumper covers and body panels is good, and I've been unable to find even the slightest run or dust spot. I've gone through an entire winter driving season on salt and gravel covered roads and, so far, no chips at all.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the paint quality on this car.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've got a lot of chips and nicks all over the front bumper cover. Since there's nothing I can do about that without using one of those ugly bras I just consider them battle scars from our rat race of a commute in the Washington dc area. When it gets bad enough I'll just replace the bumper cover.
+1. Lots of highway driving and I've dealt with a lot of salt trucks this winter. Chips not only on the front bumper but also on the a-pillars, hood and leading edge of the roof. Since I plan on keeping this car for a while, I'll probably end up repainting at some point. I so wish I would have gotten that clear bra for the front bumper...

I wonder how Infiniti's self-healing paint would have held up...

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
+1. Lots of highway driving and I've dealt with a lot of salt trucks this winter. Chips not only on the front bumper but also on the a-pillars, hood and leading edge of the roof. Since I plan on keeping this car for a while, I'll probably end up repainting at some point. I so wish I would have gotten that clear bra for the front bumper...

I wonder how Infiniti's self-healing paint would have held up...
I thought Infiniti only used the self-healing paint for 1yr (2009MY) on the G37, my buddy had it and it still chipped, but swirls/scratches didn't show as bad.

I guess my brother and I have been lucky with our S60's no chipping; even with driving mostly on the highway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts