SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I read a lot of posts of terrible T8 stories, but how many are happy with their T8’s? Are you replacing rotors and pads every 25k?? (I am, my XC90 went through them, my xc60 is doing the same). I’m tossing the idea around of my next vehicle being a T8. I’d love a full EV, but I’m not ready to take the plunge just yet (Model s’s and x’s are over priced imho, the Audi E-Tron is nice, but only 204 mile range and a ton of luxury battery killers (heated/ventilated/massage seats, ect). Input is welcome!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Love our T8 Excellence. Only 15,000 miles so can't comment on rotors/pads. Regen braking may be helping with these. Plenty of power. Great mileage. Smooth stop/start with electric restart. 15-18 non-gas miles every time out.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
I am all for T8, can't buy any other cars.
It is really a car with no compromise, but multiple benefits. A Polestar 1 beat it, but I can't afford reasonably.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
I am all for T8, can't buy any other cars.
It is really a car with no compromise, but multiple benefits. A Polestar 1 beat it, but I can't afford reasonably.

Brakes on T8 is used only a faction of time compared to ICE cars if you don't brake hard so often. I expect it to last at least twice longer. Maybe 6 to 8 years.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Absolutely enjoying our 2019 T8! And zero problems so far (7k miles). I appreciate the fact that Volvo designed the hybrid with no loss of cargo space versus the non-hybrid - these folks are smaahht! While our daily commute is perfect for the 2019 range, on weekends I'd like to have more EV miles, like 100 miles. (I'd be ok if Volvo in the near future gives us the option of swapping out our current battery for a higher capacity one, and while we're at it, exchange the charger for a faster rate one!) Right now we're at 45 mpg for this 2.5 ton beast. I'm hypermiling and driving much safer with this car, trying to enjoy every minute I spend in it listening to (and feeling) the awesome B&W sound. Am looking forward to full EV with 300+ mile range and very fast charging but am worried about the lack of charging infrastructure which will take time to develop. So we'll stick with our lovely PHEV hybrid until the infrastructure and full EVs reasonably "mature," hopefully in about 10-15 years.
My only immediate "complaint" is I hope Volvo offers a download that replaces Sensus with pure Android - let's use the full screen (and instrument cluster) for Google Maps, Music, etc 'cause I feel that beautiful 9" screen (and instrument cluster) is being wasted. Otherwise I'm going to turn off Sensus and put in a ROIK which does just that and more

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Love our T8 Excellence. Only 15,000 miles so can't comment on rotors/pads. Regen braking may be helping with these. Plenty of power. Great mileage. Smooth stop/start with electric restart. 15-18 non-gas miles every time out.
What is the T8 Excellence? What type of seats does it have, more like the Inscription, or the R design?

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Brakes on T8 is used only a faction of time compared to ICE cars if you don't brake hard so often. I expect it to last at least twice longer. Maybe 6 to 8 years.

Why are the brakes used less on the T8?

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regeneration braking, most likely^

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming!

Another question:
How is adaptive cruise control implemented in regards to braking? On an ICE vehicle, it obviously uses only the mechanical brakes. How does the T8 do it? Regen then mechanical if needed? I should just drive one...

Also, how is your fuel economy if you travel more highways, rather than short trips around town? Probably 60-70% of my 30,000miles I drive a year are on highways around 60-70mph. I’d imagine this kind of makes owning a T8 a wash??

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
How is adaptive cruise control implemented in regards to braking? On an ICE vehicle, it obviously uses only the mechanical brakes. How does the T8 do it? Regen then mechanical if needed?
Unlike the Teslas, the XC90's regen braking isn't strong enough I believe for most situations of breaking under adaptive cruise control (ACC) because the car being followed usually never brakes lightly but suddenly and/or strongly in most situations, so the XC90 does likewise (unless you're the poor soul behind me). From what I read in this forum there seems to be accelerated rear brake wear because of this - I believe Volvo wanted to prevent front end dipping and associated control issues by biasing to the rear brakes (please correct me if wrong). I don't know if putting ACC on maximum following distance helps minimize this.
Because of potential accelerated brake wear and the fact I hypermile I actually avoid ACC altogether.

·
Registered
64 Posts
2017 T8 R owner here, currently at 28500miles, still on original rotors and pads. No major repairs but only regular maintenance. Might be just lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a very late 2017 model year production T8 Inscription that has essentially been bullet proof. Front rotors and pads replaced once, and no issues since. Currently 21,000 miles on the vehicle and averaging 31.3 mpg (US). This is much less than perhaps many of you, but approximately 80% of my mileage is from my daily commute to/from work which is 22 miles each way, and unfortunately there is no way to charge the car at work for my return journey home.

My one wish is that the battery was ‘large’ enough to give me 50 miles as a BEV.

It will be interesting to see what Volvo accomplishes in 2022(?) when a pure BEV XC90 is released. It will need a real world 300 mile range; the ability to rapidly recharge, and not be outrageously expensive.

Bish

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
How is adaptive cruise control implemented in regards to braking? On an ICE vehicle, it obviously uses only the mechanical brakes. How does the T8 do it? Regen then mechanical if needed? I should just drive one...
ACC requests a variable braking force, just like your foot. At light - medium braking, regen is exclusively used. Faster stops engage the mechanical brakes as well.

For example, going down a small hill/bridge with ACC will only engage regen (no mechanical brakes) to slow the vehicle and maintain your set speed.

Also, how is your fuel economy if you travel more highways, rather than short trips around town? Probably 60-70% of my 30,000miles I drive a year are on highways around 60-70mph. I’d imagine this kind of makes owning a T8 a wash??
I get 30 - 32 mpg on the highway (XC60 T8) without charging. Trips that are 40 miles or less (with charging), I get 50+ mpg.

Air suspension also helps efficiency on the highway because you can lower the ride height.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Two Inscription-like seats in front. Two just like the front in rear with all the same features. Rear center console with tray tables, heated or cooled beverage holder, and mini refrigerator.

Pics here: https://jalopnik.com/the-exquisite-interior-of-the-volvo-xc90-excellence-wil-1697757608
That headrest is pretty cool. My puppy might like the tray table to rest his chin on. Though I think for my XC 90 I will get the built-in Volvo dog cage.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Unlike the Teslas, the XC90's regen braking isn't strong enough I believe for most situations of breaking under adaptive cruise control (ACC) because the car being followed usually never brakes lightly but suddenly and/or strongly in most situations, so the XC90 does likewise (unless you're the poor soul behind me). From what I read in this forum there seems to be accelerated rear brake wear because of this - I believe Volvo wanted to prevent front end dipping and associated control issues by biasing to the rear brakes (please correct me if wrong). I don't know if putting ACC on maximum following distance helps minimize this.
Because of potential accelerated brake wear and the fact I hypermile I actually avoid ACC altogether.
Seems drivers in your area are crazy in braking suddenly very often, or your follow interval is too close. Here ACC braking is just like me doing it. No need to be strong most of time.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Why are the brakes used less on the T8?

Nora in Florida
For light to medium braking, the e-motor is used as a generator, and provide braking force to the wheels (more on rear, also some in front by the CISG). Thus the rotors and pads are not used unless strong braking is requested by driver by pressing brake pedal harder. Brake rotors/pads are also more often used at low speed (which does not always help on rotor/pad lifetime though).

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'm at 50,000 miles and still on my first set of rotors and pads.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am very happy with the XC90 T8.
Traded inn my 2016 XC90 T8 with a 2018 XC90 T8. Same same but different...especially the air suspension has improved from 2016 to 2018.
I love the looks, the comfort, the ride, the seats, the panorama, the B&W sound, and the power...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I love my T8. I wish there was a way to swap rear seats for an additional battery range... I use ACC in the carpool lane here in SoCal in "B" mode and it seems to work as advertised. Unlike the other thread, I'm not disappointed with 4 cyl performance. Aggressive merging into traffic generally results in a grin on my face and a cheer from ythe kids.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Knock knock...

I am picking up my T8 tomorrow. I can't begin to describe how excited I am. It's also 250 miles away from me, so we get to spend some quality time together on the way home.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts