SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seem to be an abundance of negative posts (reporting problems and/or general complaining) which is to be expected since that always outweighs the positive reviews. We're about to pull the trigger on an XC90 - test drive was awesome and the tech... Finally! A car that feels like we're actually in 2016 that's not a Tesla.

So I turn to you - the experts - are you happy? Given the choice to buy again, right now, would you?

·
Registered
543 Posts
2500Km on my Inscription. Very happy and very proud. Would buy again for sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
4200 miles with no issues, UK spec Momentum. After eleven years of Land Rover driving with last eight in LR4s this change was a bit of a leap in the dark. Pleased to report that the only criticism of the XC90 is that the reversing lights are dismal compared to what I've been used to. However the interior and (standard) sound system more than compensate. Very happy with the vehicle so far and, yes, would buy another.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
4300 miles so far and would buy it again in a heartbeat. For a family vehicle, it's comfortable, corners very good, good gas mileage, lots of room, and good pickup. I really like the map function and I love the ACC. I wish I would have gotten the heated steering wheel and maybe the HUD. My family loves it as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
159 Posts
1600 miles - 50/40/10 - B-roads/town/motorway - from mid September - fully loaded momentum+ d5 - first Volvo. No issues other than noise insulation on poor road surfaces for the price - seems like a uk thing as people are happy elsewhere. Very happy with the car. Over 3 months and it hasn't stopped feeling special. The tech is great.

·
Registered
85 Posts
5000 miles, UK Momentum D5 and absolutely love it. We are a family of with kids from 11 to 2 so the interior accommodation is fantastic. Drives well and the technology is fantastic. I'm prepared for a few software glitches down the road (have already had a low battery warning a couple of time) but I wouldn't swap this for anything given my family setup and checklist for a new car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Absolutely love it after 4 months and 4000 miles! Great overall ownership experience. We had an alarm system error message that was cleared with a software patch and that has been the only issue. A pleasure to drive and would buy again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Very happy - 4000 miles in:
(R-Design, 4 C Air, Climate, Convenience, Mud Flaps, Osmium Gray Metallic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I picked up my XC90 in Sweden in July and now have almost 4000 miles on it. I have not experienced any problems at all. I haven't been back to the dealer since I picked it up here in the States. I need to go in for the software update, but since I am not having any issues, I am not in a hurry for that. I love the way it drives. The brake pedal feel is fantastic. People who worry about the 4-cylinder engine should relax - it has plenty of power for what it is designed for. I love the B&W stereo (although wish it had a CD player). I would definitely buy again. I am just hoping the software lasts as long as the hardware. And I am looking forward to Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I picked up my XC90 in Sweden in July and now have almost 4000 miles on it. I have not experienced any problems at all. I haven't been back to the dealer since I picked it up here in the States. I need to go in for the software update, but since I am not having any issues, I am not in a hurry for that. I love the way it drives. The brake pedal feel is fantastic. People who worry about the 4-cylinder engine should relax - it has plenty of power for what it is designed for. I love the B&W stereo (although wish it had a CD player). I would definitely buy again. I am just hoping the software lasts as long as the hardware. And I am looking forward to Apple CarPlay.
I love the physical and mechanical SUV that is my FE and I love my dealer.

I do not love the limitations placed on the SUV's potential by clumsy software and continuing well below par software development, nor VOA's disconnect from FE owners.

·
Registered
167 Posts
almost 9000 miles including a trip from New England to Florida.
Worked great and comfortable. Only issue was the odd steam from under the hood but no issues since.

Would buy again

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was happy...

Had my XC90 R-design since 17th November 2015. Done just 1000 miles and have an issue "Low Battery Critical". Been at the garage all day, they have done the software upgrade, but still have the problem. Its got to be booked in again.

There seem to be an abundance of negative posts (reporting problems and/or general complaining) which is to be expected since that always outweighs the positive reviews. We're about to pull the trigger on an XC90 - test drive was awesome and the tech... Finally! A car that feels like we're actually in 2016 that's not a Tesla.

So I turn to you - the experts - are you happy? Given the choice to buy again, right now, would you?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very happy with UK Momentum+ D5 (nearly everything except Air suspension which don't need and B&W which is missing). Already 15600 miles so soon first service.
Made few long European trips (more than 1,000 miles) and soon another. Engine which seems to have enough power for me and in car have plenty of space.

Only disadvantage is problem with Continental tire noise.

Thinking of switching to T8 with B&W.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had plenty of minor issues in my 5 months of ownership and am still very very happy - would definitely buy again. I can definitely say that posting issues with a new car release is very valuable, and helps everyone, and doesn't necessarily mean people are unhappy with the car (though some may be!)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
2016 XC90 T8 OSD order - my third XC90 and all I can say is wow: doesn't even do it justice by calling it an XC90 - and the PHEV technology is nothing short of amazing

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just took delivery today and first impressions have me smiling ear to ear. The car is beautifully put together and the entire package exceeds my expectations.

Perhaps I spent too much time on these forums during the long wait between order and delivery, but I started to think I had spent unnecessary money to be an early adopter of a buggy piece of consumer electronics. I pretty much forgot that this is a refined driving machine at the forefront of technology on multiple fronts. The actual Sensus part of the vehicle is great. My wife has the basics down after 30 minutes in the car this evening, so it is pretty intuitive with a short learning curve. A few of the things that really struck me in my first day of ownership:

- The cabin environment is quite relaxing. Driving around this evening with the ambient lighting, beautiful sounding stereo and well designed cockpit was very enjoyable. I didn't want to pull back into the garage.
- Speaking of the stereo, the stock setup sounds better than any car stereo I have ever had. I can only imagine what the B&W sounds like with good source material. For me, there is no second guess about not spending the $ for that option though. This stereo sounds better than the B&O system in our Audi.
- CarPlay & Tech: There is a lot I will probably be calling for in future upgrades. However the voice to text function works extremely well and came in handy on the way home from the dealer. In general I was a bit concerned this car had a lot of technology I wouldn't use. Initially however, the integration seems much more usable than any vehicle I have driven. The Bluetooth call quality is fantastic. I am a Bluetooth skeptic and the clarity is better than I believed that technology was capable of.
- Overall Volvo feel: After being without our XC70 for about 9 months. it feels great to have my family back in a solid feeling vehicle that we know is one of the safest on the road today (or tomorrow).

Unfortunately I am headed out of town on business tomorrow, so I won't get to enjoy the vehicle for a few days. We have a 300 mile road trip to look forward getting to know our XC90 better this weekend. Opticoat goes on next week.

Yes, I would buy again right now, and I don't think I would change a thing with my order.

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought the US versions with the B&W Stereo had a CD player in the center console? I believe ours does.

My wife just took delivery of her XC90 last week. It's our first vehicle with so many advanced features (previous 2008 V70 had the parking sensors and rain sensing wipers, but that was it). So far, so good. Only issue for us was the trailer hitch cover fell off somewhere on the ride home from the dealer. Must not have snapped on fully. Hopefully they can get us a replacement without too much hassle.

I am more of a sports car guy (currently drive a 2003 Nissan 350Z and have a Ford Mustang GT350 on order), but I have been impressed with how good the XC90 is to drive. We have the standard suspension, and it is relatively taut and well damped. Quite a bit more stiff than the V70, but not jarring. The steering is quicker and seems to have better feel than the V70 as well.

The engine has great low end torque. Haven't needed to run the car hard yet, but it feels plenty powerful. The interior is beautiful IMO. I do with the HVAC controls were still physical buttons (don't like needing three presses to change the temp or seat heaters), but that's a minor quibble. We did get a cargo gate for our dog, but didn't realize that it is a manual operation to put it up and take it down, unlike the one in our V70 which folds up to the roof the car when not in use. I guess it makes sense due to having the third row, but it does make it a bit more difficult to use (and we haven't even let the dog in the car yet anyway, so it's a moot point for now).

Anyhow, really liking the car so far and keeping my fingers crossed for decent reliability.

-T

1 - 20 of 54 Posts