SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd very much appreciate any tips or information from those who have dropped their OSD vehicle off at Hamburg. Where did you stay? Once you've dropped your car off, is it easy to get back to the center of Hamburg?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
While I have not used the Hamburg drop off service I did look into this for our Oct 2015 OSD trip. Here's some info from my notes:

The drop off location is at a dock on a tributary south of the Elbe (river). Initially I thought that we could possibly get a flight from the nearby airport (XFW) which would be a short taxi ride away. Alas XFW is an Airbus assembly plant with no commercial flights. :)

I figured that it would be a half hour ride by taxi to either the center of Hamburg or the Flughafen Hamburg (HAM) airport. Here's where I found a list of taxi companies - which also noted that you could arrange a flat rate transfer:

https://www.hamburg-airport.de/en/taxi.php

Another thought would be to drop an email to one of the contacts at BLG logistics (drop off folks) as they would likely be able to best answer your question regarding transportation after you drop your vehicle off. Here is a link to the 2015 Volvo Home Shipment Brochure (PDF):

http://www.volvocars.com/us/~/media/us/downloads/brochures/volvo-osd-2015-home-shipment-brochure-v1.pdf

I was looking at the Marriott Hamburg primarily due to my status in their frequent guest program (and I was only going to spend a night there). I typically look at Trip Advisor for reviews and recommendations - we did very well with all of our accommodations for the Oct 2015 trip.

From the center of Hamburg the S1 train on the S-Bahn will take you to the airport in about a half-hour - I think the cost was a minimal 3 euro (a taxi would likely cost 10 times that).

As for my trip - my plans changed and I was going to drop off in Munich - the drop off location in Munich is actually right in the airport complex. But for a number of different reasons I ended up just adding some additional days to our trip and drove back to Kiel - then took the ferry back to Göteborg. One of the reasons why we returned to Sweden was the complimentary plane tickets at that time were only to/from London or airports in Scandinavia (I don't know what the current policy is).

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, rpmccormick. I agree I should email the drop off people in Hamburg to get their advice. It is still the case that the free plane tickets are only to London or Scandinavia. So we had to buy our own one way ticket from Hamburg to London--not too expensive.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We just dropped our car in Hamburg last Dec.

It was pretty easy access to the downtown area, about 20-30 min of driving.

We stayed in Hammerbrook area, and it took about 33 euro for taxi. Asked your BLG Logistic contact to call for a Taxi when you dropped the car off.

Here is the address of the drop off location.

Kattwykweg 7, 21107 Hamburg, Germany

Pretty remote location with no access to public transport except for Taxi

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I had to dig up my notes... On this trip, Germany was just a "drive through" rather than a destination. We focused on that country on earlier trips.

We spent one night at Motel One Hamburg-Altona, Kieler Straße, Hamburg, Germany -- in Rick Steve's book but he wasn't impressed. We thought it was nice -- but a "big hotel" rather than the B&B ("Pension" in Germany) that he prefers. Because of our planned late time of arrival, we wanted some place that would have an open front desk.

We had dinner that night at Dos Amigos a few blocks away (at the recommendation of the hotel desk clerk). Yes, an American driving a Swedish car eating Mexican food in Germany :)

Swung by Hard Rock in Hamburg for a keychain gift for a friend who collects.

On the way back to Sweden, we stayed at Marriott Hamburg Airport, Hamburg, Germany -- had points, wanted something simple, even ate dinner there. By this point we were getting tired.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We just dropped our car in Hamburg last Dec.

It was pretty easy access to the downtown area, about 20-30 min of driving.

We stayed in Hammerbrook area, and it took about 33 euro for taxi. Asked your BLG Logistic contact to call for a Taxi when you dropped the car off.

Here is the address of the drop off location.

Kattwykweg 7, 21107 Hamburg, Germany

Pretty remote location with no access to public transport except for Taxi
Thanks, caweran.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts