SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know allot of the guys on here think the halo's should only go on BMW's..but i think they look cool just for show. so does anyone know the diameter of the headlight? on superbrightled.com the give you the option of either 60mm or 80mm. i dont know which would fit and im trying to see if i can find out without taking apart the headlight because im lazy :D

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
I'll have to find the thread but someone just ordered some. We have 3" projector lenses and the bezels around them are profoundly larger I would venture to guess u would need something in the 90mm+ range.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Perfect timing! I've been wanting to do this and have done lots of research around what will/won't work for us (me, I guess). Superbrightled.com offers 60/80/100 and the 100 is the closest, but would be too big by about 2 mm in diameter. According to my measurements, the outer diameter in the inside of that lens is ~98 mm. It's ~80 mm at the smallest point. See pic:

I was going to do this: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=103 but they need their own power source/switch and I wanted to keep things as stock as possible.

So, that leaves me with one option which I am doing this weekend. Here's a teaser pic.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So shouldn't the 80mm work?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
No, because it's 80mm outside diameter and like 65 interior diameter. You have to keep the ring between the 98 OD and 80 ID because the low beam projector fits in the hole in the center.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The only success I've had with halos is using a 24" 12v led strip and wiring it up to the day runner. The rings I ordered didn't work they need to be wired to the battery and there to hard to mount.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
The only success I've had with halos is using a 24" 12v led strip and wiring it up to the day runner. The rings I ordered didn't work they need to be wired to the battery and there to hard to mount.
What strips did you use? I just picked up a set from autozone but they are wimpy to say the least! Guess I'll return them and keep looking.

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts
So, that leaves me with one option which I am doing this weekend. Here's a teaser pic.

Halos in replacement of running lights or city lights I presume?

Question to anyone if they can answer!
When you disable the DRLs, are the running light still on when in position 0? Are the city lights still on?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I used ones from autozone as well they look like the LEDs are to spread apart but once you wrap them around the lens bezels and turn them on they make a damn new perfect circle and are bright to from a distance with only the city light on you can see two perfect circles. Mine were white led and my buddy used reds on his car and it came out nice. I think these are gonna be the easiest alternative for halos.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Question to anyone if they can answer!
When you disable the DRLs, are the running light still on when in position 0? Are the city lights still on?
With DRLs disabled, nothing is on in position 0.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I used ones from autozone as well they look like the LEDs are to spread apart but once you wrap them around the lens bezels and turn them on they make a damn new perfect circle and are bright to from a distance with only the city light on you can see two perfect circles. Mine were white led and my buddy used reds on his car and it came out nice. I think these are gonna be the easiest alternative for halos.
Well the ones I got (only ones there) don't look the same as in your pic, so maybe they redesigned them. There is no way those dinky things would have shown through the lens. So, onto something else...

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Keep in mind that when you test them in the store their powered by a battery pack that's probly near drained by now. Once you have them connected to a 12v power source you will see the light... Literally. Beside if you wanna opt out just save your reciept and they'll take them back.

Also I tried this with one of the 6" strips in the turn signal light but my hands were to big to manuever around the adhesive. Just something to think bout.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Yeah, I've ordered something else, we'll see how it goes! Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
What'd you get? Those blue rings were such a dissapointment. First set were shattered and second set didn't work either so I'm assuming they were cracked too.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
What'd you get? Those blue rings were such a dissapointment. First set were shattered and second set didn't work either so I'm assuming they were cracked too.
It's a surprise! :D

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I really don't im very nosey and inpatient lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi All, about 2 years ago I installed CCFL (Cold Cathode Flurescent Light) Rings. The inside diameter for these were 80mm, which fit perfectly around the projector lense. I used the parking lights for power/ground, which means they can be turned of if switch is in 0-position; and since i replaced the parking bulbs with LEDs, there was no drop in brightness/voltage as a result (no codes thrown either). The write-up I used was from a member on here (volvoNB, i think). I have had these going for about 2 years now, with no issues! Will post pics when I can. Cheers from Australia!

·
Registered
33 Posts
If someone who remembers that thread would be nice enough to post a link to that thread, that would be grreat, ok? (Also, I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday.) Lol

Sent from my Sidekick using Tapatalk and ur mom!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts