SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do XC90s still have a Gen 2 system or were they updated when Gen 3 and possibly 4 came out?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
aka precharged AWD

·
Registered
7,476 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
How do you know that the newer XC90 has H4?
It does not. XC90s have 2nd generation with the last 6 model years adding Instant Traction which is a one-way valve pre-loaded with hydraulic pressure that adds a bit of torque thus the wheels do not have to spin 1/7th of a wheel turn (or about 15 degrees) in order for the AWD system to engage. This "version" has become the "unofficial" 3rd generation.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Hey, I'm just quoting an email from Volvo here. Obviously you know better than them. Sorry for upsetting you so much.
No one is upset, and you are not quoting anything. You simply say something that contradicts the common knowledge affirmatively, and I am curious to know the source.

Cheers,

·
Registered
143 Posts
Let's go straight to Haldex for the source. Open the Haldex Annual Report 2008, go to page 9:

http://www.haldex.com/Global/Global...rts/AnnualReports/English/Haldex AR08_eng.pdf

For the lazy ones, you will find:

Generation ii - 2002The second-generation Haldex coupling was*equipped with more intelligent software and new*valve technology for faster reaction.

Cars equipped with Generation ii:
Audi A3, TT, Bugatti Veyron,
Ford Freestyle, 500,
Mercury Montego,
Seat Altea, Freetracker
Skoda Octavia, VW Golf, Passat, Multivan,
Volvo S40, V50, S60, V70, XC70, S80, XC90

Generation iii - 2004
The third generation received more pressure from
an electric pump in connection with start, which
eliminated wheel spin and in turn improved vehicle
dynamics and off-road driving.

Cars equipped with Generation iii:
Land Rover Freelander, Volvo S60, V70, XC70,
S80, XC90

Generation iV & xwD- 2007/2008
The faster and lighter Generation IV can also be
combined with an additional coupling that controls the torque between the left and right rear
wheels - Haldex XWD

Cars equipped with Generation iV:
Audi A3, TT
Skoda Octavia, Superb, Yeti
VW Golf, Passat, Tiguan
Land Rover Freelander
Volvo S60, XC60, V70, XC70, S80, XC90

Cars equipped with Haldex xwD:
Saab 9-3 XWD, Opel Insignia
Buick Lacrosse, Cadillac SRX

In addition, Haldex issued a press release about a year ago saying, and i quote "Volvo has chosen Haldex as supplier of AWD technique to replace the current Generation four product in their current and future platform. The AWD-system is the fifth generation of the
established Haldex AWD-coupling." The press release can be found here: http://www.haldex.com/Global/Global/Media/Cision/477456_EN_wkr0011.pdf

My original source for confirming Haldex 4 was the Volvo importer in Norway, Volvo Personbiler Norge AS.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Gen 4 probably started before march though, as that was a question regarding the haldex on a specific vehicle registered in march 2009. Volvo can probably cough up the VIN when they started it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I will eat a bowl of crow for relying on the wrong internet sources when i said Volvo hasnt changed the drivetrain of the XC90 i too many years.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.