SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see so many threads on 4C and not often anything on our glorious AWD system which, when it comes to my car, is actually my pride and joy. This is why I posted the poll about how you brag, and I was the only one who voted for the AWD system... has anyone really messed around to see how well it actually works as much as I have... I am a former Audi driver saying that it is simple amazing. True story, taking a 18-20 mph left hander, I decided to check it out... Advanced, 1st gear with some throttle, and SLAM! Came out of the turn facing about 30 degrees to the right in the fairly snug driver's seat... a lesser AWD would have cried viciously and skidded most of the way through the turn until the long awaited "power transfer" to the outside wheels. I feel that the predictive adjustments our cars make to power distribution is my single favorite feature about the vehicle, and I love it...

P.S. now Audi is ever so quietly beginning to use what they call "Haldex quattro".... Never follow, huh? hehehe Toyota is jumping on, too I think and of course Lexus

Thoughts?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Amen bro.

I quickly saw the possibilities in my VW R32 with a first gen Haldex system. I jumped up with joy to learn S60R sports a second generation system.

Why am i not surprised that Bugatti will also implement a Haldex system for their 1001 hp sports car.

·
Registered
2019 S60 Pine Gray, M. Brown, Lin. Lime
2,934 Posts
Re: (Kandiru)

Quote, originally posted by Kandiru »
...Bugatti will also implement a Haldex system for their 1001 hp sports car.

How about a Bugatti angle gear upgrade for the R?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Haldex... under appreciated? (JOSBRO)

I'm pretty positive Audi was already using Haldex on their cheaper models before Volvo did.

I guess I can say I pushed the AWD to the max, both a V70R and an S60R.
One thing I do not like is that it isn't consistent. Also the system add's RWD but never becomes RWD biased.

Never experienced overheating of the Haldex unit as reported by some. During the several Nürburgring trips I did a total of 15laps with the S60R so far. The first 3 laps stock with Eibach lowering installed, the other 12 laps with chip, JR fliter, 3" Ferrita DP, Eibach springs and the iPD Track sway kit which totally transformed to car in to a very capable ring racer. The last 2 laps were driven with 2 passengers in the car.
Passengers were extremely impressed with the performance of the car. Not as much the power but the roadholding and cornering speeds was what impressed them most.

The only part overheating during every lap was the TRACS part which shut down after a few corners time and again. Funny thing is that it always did at about the same spot on the track, Haldex did fine all the time.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Re: Haldex... under appreciated? (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »
I'm pretty positive Audi was already using Haldex on their cheaper models before Volvo did.

Indeed,

TT...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote, originally posted by Johann »

I thought the first TT to see it was the 3.2. No?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I guess "It's better to lead, than to Volvo!" hehe Good for Audi... the 3.2 TT still makes poor use of its power. I drove it right after driving the 180 hp FWD model... I didn't find there to be anywhere near a 70hp gap b/t the two... felt more like 25 whp... disappointed.. that dual clutch thing is amazing though... I consider myself to be a good driver with a manual tranny, and there is know way I could shift faster than that thing... that car slams from gear to gear is sport mode... good tranny, Audi got that right.

P.S. No proofreading this one... posted after several

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: Haldex... under appreciated? (JOSBRO)

Audi only uses Haldex is in its VW based cars (i.e., the TT).

The A4, A6, A8, Q7...and probably the A5, too, all feature a torsen diff.

-Eric

P.S. The only appeal of the 3.2, to some, is that it's not a turbo and it's a 6 cyl. When they first put it into the TT, the K04 TT put out 225hp....but it was "only a 4cyl". Meanwhile, while the 3.2 was a VR6, it only made 250hp....and it needed the extra 25hp to pull the extra weight it added to the car. In fact, it really wasn't any quicker than the "lesser" 225. And, the 225 was easily modded with a chip to make ~265hp.

P.P.S And, you can't compare a 180hp, 4cyl, FWD car (WITHOUT HALDEX...and the weight of it) to the 250hp, 6cyl, AWD car. The 3.2 is a much heavier car because of both the mandatory Haldex system and the bigger engine. The close comparison is really the 225.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Haldex... under appreciated? (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »

P.P.S And, you can't compare a 180hp, 4cyl, FWD car (WITHOUT HALDEX...and the weight of it) to the 250hp, 6cyl, AWD car. The 3.2 is a much heavier car because of both the mandatory Haldex system and the bigger engine. The close comparison is really the 225.

Okay, I'll write Audi and tell them they shouldn't have people test drive both cars in the same day like they did with me because you can't compare them. The point is not comparablility, the point is, their NA cars run slow for the amount of power they produce, across the board. New RS4 make nearly 420hp, yet it BARELY outruns the 333hp M3. The S4 is a complete embarassment, and the TT 3.2 VR6 is a dog; slower than the old 2.7t S4. A SEDAN with the same power without the dual clutch or the on-demand capability of the NA VR6.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Re: Haldex... under appreciated? (Sue Esponte)

To be more specific, Haldex is VAG's setup for any Audi with a transverse engine setup.

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »
Audi only uses Haldex is in its VW based cars (i.e., the TT).

The A4, A6, A8, Q7...and probably the A5, too, all feature a torsen diff.

-Eric

P.S. The only appeal of the 3.2, to some, is that it's not a turbo and it's a 6 cyl. When they first put it into the TT, the K04 TT put out 225hp....but it was "only a 4cyl". Meanwhile, while the 3.2 was a VR6, it only made 250hp....and it needed the extra 25hp to pull the extra weight it added to the car. In fact, it really wasn't any quicker than the "lesser" 225. And, the 225 was easily modded with a chip to make ~265hp.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Haldex... under appreciated? (rollie)

Quote, originally posted by rollie »
To be more specific, Haldex is VAG's setup for any Audi with a transverse engine setup.

Correct! Or any other VAG product for that matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts