1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I would suggest that the experience could be drastically different in the S60 with it's stiffer, sportier suspension and chassis. Until I see reports of trouble in the S60 I find it hard to be concerned. From what I gather, though, there is a legitimate cause to the problem. I think it's explained in that thread. I'm curious why Haldex decided to change the implementation like they did. Feels like one of those "don't fix it if it isn't broken" things...

·
Registered
724 Posts
The GenV is cheaper to produce. There is no auxiliary oil pump so the GenV does not offer "instant traction" like the GenIII and IV did.
You got a slightly better fuel consumption in return.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The GenV is cheaper to produce. There is no auxiliary oil pump so the GenV does not offer "instant traction" like the GenIII and IV did.
You got a slightly better fuel consumption in return.
They still advertise Instant Traction though. Whatever that is..

Has Volvo's AWD system just become like BMW's AWD system? If so, it's a shame...
Rear-biased AWD system? How's that shame? I'll take that any day!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Rear-biased AWD system? How's that shame? I'll take that any day!
No, as in it doesn't do a damn thing off-road. Seriously, look up videos of Volvo XC90s/XC60s/XC70s off roading and then look up people taking their X3s/X5s off roading, BIG difference.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
An SUV off road?? Who does that? Aren't they just cooler minivans these days?

·
Administrator
55,951 Posts
Just finished a press briefing this morning on the 2013 S60 T5 AWD, it does have Gen V Haldex, smaller unit, instant traction, torque to all four wheels with the 50/50 split and the FWD bias split goes up to 95/5.

Changes to engine internals and gearing in Sport mode improve 0-60 times by .4 secs.

FWD - 6.6 secs
AWD - 6.8 secs

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just finished a press briefing this morning on the 2013 S60 T5 AWD, it does have Gen V Haldex, smaller unit, instant traction, torque to all four wheels with the 50/50 split and the FWD bias split goes up to 95/5.

Changes to engine internals and gearing in Sport mode improve 0-60 times by .4 secs.

FWD - 6.6 secs
AWD - 6.8 secs
Only the T5 gets the GenV?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

FWD - 6.6 secs
AWD - 6.8 secs
Chris,

According to internal product guides MY13S60 T5s 0-60 are rated at 6.4 secs while AWDs are at 6.6 secs.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Chris,

According to internal product guides MY13S60 T5s 0-60 are rated at 6.4 secs while AWDs are at 6.6 secs.
Maybe the figures Chris posted are actually 0-100 km/h instead of 0-60 mph? Regardless, nice to see them trending quicker!

·
Administrator
55,951 Posts
Yannis is correct, I received a copy of the slides from the briefing:

FWD - 6.4
AWD - 6.6

What is interesting is that the MY12 T5 FWD was 6.8, the MY13 T5 AWD is quicker than MY12's FWD by .2 - not bad.:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
"It doesn't have Instant Traction."
"It has Instant Traction."

Uh huh... ;)

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Torque to 50/50 like Audi in normal driving? This sounds like new update to me!
I think it's still going to be 95-5 but with possibility of going to 50-50 depending on the situation. At least this is what I got from Chris' statement...

·
Registered
690 Posts
um alittle confused here i`m the newbie to the s60 world whats the deal i assume GenV is only in the 13`s ?? whats the diffrence between those & the 12`s

1 - 20 of 109 Posts