SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone on here change the haldex filter for the awd if so any info on it. i know volvo says life time but i see the VW service for the same system is oil chage every 20k and oil and filter every 40k. i have 250k miles on my car and have not changed the fluid yet. i am planning on changing the fluid, filter and clean off the pump inlet filter tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
well depends on which gen Haldex you are talking about. but regardless, I'm sure your mileage is beyond "lifetime" to Volvo so you are out there in the realm of alternative maintenance schedules.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
first gen haldex probably did have service intervals....I dunno about 2nd and 3rd though. some trans shops will tell you it is actually bad to change the oil once it gets up that high if the oil wasnt changed regularly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya that is what i am thinking also but i want to change the filter because with this much miles it must be clogged. i am not having any real issues or codes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ya that is what i am thinking also but i want to change the filter because with this much miles it must be clogged. i am not having any real issues or codes.
Changed my filter, fluid and installed heat shield at 120k . Filter was very black , volvo dealer in san jose had never sold the filter before. Had to manually add pt # that I provided to parts system. Can hurt to change it especially at 250k

·
Registered
79 Posts
did you have to remove the drive shaft and flange to remove filter
No. As I recall just two Allen bolts to remove cover, There's room to get them out. New filter comes with new bolts and different style cover so just install new stuff with the filter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
changed the haldex filter and oil and also removed the pump to clean off the pump pick up screen. the fluid was clear and clean and my pump filter and oil filter was dark but no chunks or anything not normal for 250k miles. i did have to remove the haldex flange to remove the oil pump but the filter is easy access.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am glad to hear it made it that far! I'm at 115k, maybe I'll be ok for a few more miles!

·
Registered
234 Posts
changed the haldex filter and oil and also removed the pump to clean off the pump pick up screen. the fluid was clear and clean and my pump filter and oil filter was dark but no chunks or anything not normal for 250k miles. i did have to remove the haldex flange to remove the oil pump but the filter is easy access.
how do you change the oil in the haldex unit?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts