SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Honestly, look at our angle gear. It's so weak that it can't handle the maximum 70% of the power being transmitted to the rear wheels. Then look at out drive shaft. It's like a toothpick. As much as I'd like to be optimistic about this, the only way you're gonna get RWD R is in Forza 4 and what a PITA it is to drive hahaha.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My R32 has 4th gen Haldex (I think), or whatever the 2004 S60R's have.

The HUGE difference is the stoutness of the mechanical bits, and the torque split. I've gotten my car to spin the rear tires on dry pavement going around a corner. I've also punched it over patch ice, causing wheels to spin independently in the front and rear, alternately losing and gaining traction.

Basically, I've killed my S60R's AWD system 10 times over in my R32, and it shows no signs of issues.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Honestly, look at our angle gear. It's so weak that it can't handle the maximum 70% of the power being transmitted to the rear wheels. Then look at out drive shaft. It's like a toothpick. As much as I'd like to be optimistic about this, the only way you're gonna get RWD R is in Forza 4 and what a PITA it is to drive hahaha.
I <3 my B500 class RWD R...

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
My R32 has 4th gen Haldex (I think), or whatever the 2004 S60R's have.

The HUGE difference is the stoutness of the mechanical bits, and the torque split. I've gotten my car to spin the rear tires on dry pavement going around a corner. I've also punched it over patch ice, causing wheels to spin independently in the front and rear, alternately losing and gaining traction.

Basically, I've killed my S60R's AWD system 10 times over in my R32, and it shows no signs of issues.
I think the R has Gen 2 or 3. And the weak point is the spline sleeve/ collar gear; bad fit, play, weak material, yadda yadda. The angle gear is not the problem and can take the power as discussed many times prior to this; The German Volvo, the welding of the Angle gear as an SS member has done.

But bottom line is that Evolve once upon a time looked into all time 50/50 distribution a one point, and worked with Haldex. Volvo pulled the plug, so this will never happen.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If money is no object, might be worth a shot to call up MTE and ask if they are williing to do it.
It was mentioned in the magazine article they had 50/50 split on the haldex.

And I think it's now 700hp, not 600hp anymore. :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
A bit offtopic but... i have looked for ages for info about that car. Only media i found on it is this.

I am going to visit TMEs hq in sweden (Filipstad), MTEs hardwaresupporter, springs, exhaust system etc.. Could ask them if they know something about this. It sounds very interesting since the collar gear barely can handle stock power and distribution it's driven to hard?

I can write a mail to TME and ask if they're willing to tell what they have done to get 50/50. :)

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Not so Sure about that !

T5 V50's shift 90% Generation 3 & 4

We'll soon find out as WE now have 3 cars running over 300 hp & 340 Tq. / K-16's Turbos'

They have already Blown their Clutches , and Install Spec 2+ & 3 + - so Final Tunes coming up .

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
It sounds very interesting since the collar gear barely can handle stock power and distribution it's driven to hard?
Actually, this is false. It can handle stock power and the distribution, why it fails is because of wear and tear. The misconception most people have of the collar gear is that the failure is induced by heavy acceleration or wheel spin. What's actually causing failure is the initial engagement of AWD. So everytime you put the car into gear from neutral, this engagement compresses that spline material and slowly breaks away. Through repeated engagements, the splines wear to the point of breakage, and this is where it fails. It's a sudden act of AWD to FWD. If there is enough spline material to turn the Angle gear input shaft, then there are no visible issues and AWD engages properly and the power is transfered to the Angle Gear and the Haldex.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Yeah I did a lot of research into this on the older thread. 2004 and 2005s have 2nd gen Haldex, 2006 and 2007s have 3rd gen. Because of the way the Haldex system is designed (hydraulic fluid coupling at the rear) there can never be a more than 50% torque to the rear (unless you're in a situation where the front tires are on ice, but the rears still will never spin faster than the fronts). The best you will get is 50/50. There is no way to "uncouple" the front wheels.

Essentially, to get a rear bias, you'd have to do something like they explain was done for the GTR:

Bit of trivia. The Nissan GTR uses a system very close to Haldex with a rear wheel wheel drive bias.
They pulled it off in a crazy . Thwayey run a propshaft from the tranny in the front, back to the
rear diff, to provide RWD, then a unit that operates very much like Haldex hangs off the rear diff,
and sends variable torque back via a 2nd propshaft, back to the front diff.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
I Thought they had put in Stronger Collar with a Titanium Coating to take care of - Wear Issue ?

I Know in the Machining Industry - there is a Lazer hardened Process - that is very accurate - Plus - It also gets Titanium Coating to said Hardened Material - which is Suppose to be
The Best Hardening Treatment - Out there as they Use it on Tooling to Cut Tuff - Stuff like Chromium Steels .

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
I Thought they had put in Stronger Collar with a Titanium Coating to take care of - Wear Issue ?

I Know in the Machining Industry - there is a Lazer hardened Process - that is very accurate - Plus - It also gets Titanium Coating to said Hardened Material - which is Suppose to be
The Best Hardening Treatment - Out there as they Use it on Tooling to Cut Tuff - Stuff like Chromium Steels .
No, this talked about endlessly before. The new part is the same material hardness with a nitride coating. This does not make the material any harder. Ontop of that the new part fitment is still just as poor, which also contributes to the wear. And even case hardening of this alloy won't make it much stronger. If you want to know more about the BAE metallurgy research that adykes did on the collar gear/spline sleeve, read this thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...sults-are-in&p=1187892&viewfull=1#post1187892

and this thread

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?132908-Spline-collar-gear-poll-with-possibility-of-making-an-updated-part/page2

which came from this thread:

http://v70r.com/forums/topic/13041-p2-awd-collar-gear-analysis/page__st__80

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.