SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well folks, I had to spend some time getting intimate with the rear underside of my car this weekend while installing my new upgraded sway bars from Elevate. Great product by the way. Currently a group buy in the classifieds if any one else wants to join in as well.

I've recently also got a new cat back exhaust system and as much as I love it I was a bit concerned that its close proximity to the haldex controller, soleniod and electrical connectors would eventually try to burn those items to a crisp with its radiant energy.

So as long as I had partially dropped the exhaust and had good access to the unit I decided to build a heat shield to keep these critical items all nice and cool.

It was a pretty simple metal fab job, so just in case anyone else would like to do the same in the hope of extending the haldex's life here are my pics of my recent project.

Unshielded View With Exhast Dropped:

Aluminum Heat Shield:

Controller Side View:

Soleniod Side View:

Here are the approximate dimensions, sheet metal used was .025" thick.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Nice Job!

I've always been weary of that, but even with my catless dp and straight exhaust it hasn't been an issue at the track.

But better safe than sorry as I'd hate for the AWD to drop out during a turn.

Where did you get the alu?

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it from Lowes when I was building my CAI duct and still had some left over. Its thin enough to cut and bend by hand, but still thick enough to hold its shape and stay in place.

Even though I assumed the haldex electronics could handle the heat down there, my main concern was the plastic connectors and their rubber seals degrading over time.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (StealthyS60R)

The '06 and up Haldex box is plastic, and there have been cases of it melting on some cars.....

Good job.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Re: (Needsdecaf)

When I had a 3" I wrapped it with dei header wrap either way better safe than sorry shield looks good. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: Haldex Controller Heat Sheild Project (StealthyS60R)

Nice work!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Re: Haldex Controller Heat Sheild Project (850arrrsaylikepirate)

Quote, originally posted by 850arrrsaylikepirate »
Nice work!
DAMN NIFFTY!!! i like that, you know that one of the main faults for the Haldex unit is Over heated pressure sensor.... Good one
Never taught of that, i may have to do one also.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Re: Haldex Controller Heat Sheild Project (VolvokidS60R)

Quote, originally posted by VolvokidS60R »

DAMN NIFFTY!!! i like that, you know that one of the main faults for the Haldex unit is Over heated pressure sensor.... Good one
Never taught of that, i may have to do one also.

How much do those sensors go for? And can they make your awd not work?

I wrapped my exhaust in header wrap. I hope thats good enough.

Stealthy you should try and make your own ipd intake box thing. Looks like you have the skills for it.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Re: Haldex Controller Heat Sheild Project (Chamberlain20)

Quote, originally posted by Chamberlain20 »

How much do those sensors go for? And can they make your awd not work?

I wrapped my exhaust in header wrap. I hope thats good enough.

Stealthy you should try and make your own ipd intake box thing. Looks like you have the skills for it.
I don't remember how much it was..... Sorry
AWD issues- if its a "non active fault" it will delay your AWD to Kick in.
So you get it a good take off you will feel wheel spin for like sec then your AWD wll kick in and ZOOM ZOOOM!!!! LOL a full fault.. may cause full failure IDK never seen one yet http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Heat wrap should do the trick
And yes he SHOULD! i would say he should make 2 one for me one for him!!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Re: Haldex Controller Heat Sheild Project (VolvokidS60R)

I think thats whats happening to mine.

I just repalced everything too.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn, I should have thought to have traced out the form so I could post it here for people to copy.

Next time I get under the car I'll take some construction paper with me and try to make one after the fact.

After hearing about all the haldex controller and sensor issues here I think this is something that volvo should have put on the car at the factory instead.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

Quote, originally posted by StealthyS60R »
After hearing about all the haldex controller and sensor issues here I think this is something that volvo should have put on the car at the factory instead.

No kidding! But hey we got the useless EBD http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Re: (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
The '06 and up Haldex box is plastic, and there have been cases of it melting on some cars.....

Good job.

It's only '07s that are plastic. At least my '06 is definitely metal.

I'll probably put header wrap around the exhaust in the Haldex area should I track the car post-warranty.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

Quote, originally posted by StealthyS60R »
LOL, speaking of the EBD I finally took mine off while I was busy tinkering around down there.

D U D E ! ! !

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (ClemsonS60R)

Quote, originally posted by ClemsonS60R »
EBD? Exhaust Bracket of Death?

Its a useless bracket that is notorious for messing up the exhaust system and worse when it gets snagged on something solid and gets bent back and upwards. You can just barely see it in this before pic.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Re: Haldex Controller Heat Sheild Project (StealthyS60R)

I realize its a simple heat shield but how would you feel about having a little group buy on this thing and sell them for like $20 bucks?

eh eh http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 48 Posts