SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well sunday night brought a storm with golf ball size hail. beat the **** out of my volvo and my truck.

the insurance adjuster will be coming this week to check them out, but i just wanted to know if anyone knows what they use to figure the price for fixing the dents? there are well over 20 good dings on the volvo and around 20 on my truck! pics will come in the morning.

also any help with how to deal with a insurance company writing off a vehicle would be great! pretty sure my truck will be and hope the volvo wont!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I know there are a couple members here who have had hail damage so maybe they will chime in. Don't think they were totaled, but not sure.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't know how intense the hail damage is, but it could be worth a call to the "dent doctor." someone dented my jaguar's door by opening their van door into my car. the door had a large dent on it that the dent dr. was able to get out. the dent dr also found 10 other small dents on my car and got them out. I think the total cost was around $200.

they essentially "poke" the back of the metal with a metal rod until it straightens out.

http://www.dentdoctorusa.com/

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I had ~7500 in hail damage from the Sturgis 2009 Storm. With hail damage, typically parts are not replaced so that keeps cost down. I only had the hood and deck lid (trunk lid) replaced. All panels had damage except for both passenger doors. If no glass was broken and the vertical panels didn't suffer too bad, it's very likely you will just get some body labor. Depending on the density of the ice, golf ball dents can be Paintless Dent Repaired which is what the dentdoctors will do.

I would be surprised if the volvo is considered totaled (without seeing pictures). If it is, congrats, buy it back and fix it for cheap. I actually made money from my hail damage by doing a lot of the prep/paint work myself :D

The first aftermath

After ~45 minutes of melting on the ground. I got hail that was about this size where I was at, where I was supposed to be got 4 - 4.5 inch hail so really dodged a bullet by being 20 minutes late.

The biggest one, brought tears to my eyes when I heard this one hit.

Thought for sure this one wasn't getting body worked. Crease hits are bad-news.

The hood

Good luck and let's see some pictures.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
This is probably the only place where I can admit to a large group of men that I did indeed cry during the carnage. Being in the car while it happened made it that much worse. Sad thing was that I knew EXACTLY what I was driving into. I was watching radar the whole time. Too bad I had no option of not getting to the place I was going :(

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
This is probably the only place where I can admit to a large group of men that I did indeed cry during the carnage. Being in the car while it happened made it that much worse. Sad thing was that I knew EXACTLY what I was driving into. I was watching radar the whole time. Too bad I had no option of not getting to the place I was going :(
I would have risked getting arrested driving 100mph weaving in and out of traffic trying to beat the storm to the closest gas station.....

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
I would have risked getting arrested driving 100mph weaving in and out of traffic trying to beat the storm to the closest gas station.....
hah true that would be cheaper. but no (smart) cop is going to stop you in an impending hail storm. But if he did I'd gladly pay to watch him stand there getting pelted outside your window lol:p

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
When you are driving a car during the Sturgis Rally, and a very green, grumpy looking storm is barreling down, and tornado sirens are going off, there aren't a lot of places to park. Bikers were flagging 18-wheelers to pull over so they could get underneath the trailer. Ambulances were literally on a constant loop between the highways and the hospital because so many bikers got hurt by hail.

I was on a back road and found a tree (hence all the leaves on the caR) hoping I could angle away from the hail. Unfortunately, thin pieces of cellulose dont do much to stop large chunks of ice falling at 90 mph.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ouch :( That looks brutal. So sorry this happened.

Edit: Just realized those photos were from another member. Either way, my condolances.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just a video of it happening. cant see much except at the 40 second and 55 second marks!

wait for it...

[video]http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/jonesmike/?action=view&current=858DDFE1-B17F-4730-93C6-5403ADAB1EEB-11342-000006F4F13BFEA7.mp4[/video]
pics arent the best. i will take some tonight in direct light or shade

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
This is exactly what I did when it started with 100 MPH winds just recently. I was driving down our town's main street, doing about 55 (in a 30) in the rain, wind, trees... I was dodging huge branches already in the street, and AS I PASSED ONE TREE, the thing fell over BEHIND me in my rear view mirror. I drove for about 3 minutes and found an apartment building with an overhead thingy. There was 3 other cars sitting under it. The only thing that happened was a small scratch from a branch that fell on my car, and it buffed right out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's not bad at all.. I had 5100 in hail damage last year (June 30th, 2011 to anyone who remembers that storm in Chicago... blew out like 70% of the windows in the Garfield park greenhouse) to my R and Progressive paid up. I actually used the money to fix other bits on the car and left the hail damage. Think they counted like 310 dents? it was everywhere! But they didn't total the car out.

You should be fine with that damage.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
ow boy, I had a dream some 3nights ago orsow, well, call it a nightmare. My S60R was gone, after some while someone from the insurance said they found her but that I was not going to be happy seeing her.
It was all beaten up a cazzillion times worse than the haildamage, they also joyrided and flipped over. Then atm I saw her some punks also were firing paintball guns on her. I felt very very sad in my dream.

Just 1 of 10 reasons I always park inside when I come home. You never know when sudden a hailstorm can show up during Summer.
BTW, be sure the insurancecompany sees this as only 1 claim!!!

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I'd estimate between about $50 and $100 per dent for a PDR guy depending on his rates. I don't see that costing over $1500. I had a neighbor in the business who'd do it for about $25 per dent (cash discount). He got mad at me on my V70 because it had way more dents than he noticed at first. He pulled about 20 small dents for $180. Most of them took him less than 30 seconds to straighten though, still good money for an hour and a half.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'd estimate between about $50 and $100 per dent for a PDR guy depending on his rates. I don't see that costing over $1500. I had a neighbor in the business who'd do it for about $25 per dent (cash discount). He got mad at me on my V70 because it had way more dents than he noticed at first. He pulled about 20 small dents for $180. Most of them took him less than 30 seconds to straighten though, still good money for an hour and a half.
Worked along side some traveling PRD'ers at a body shop for a particularly bad hail summer in CO. Guys were amazing fast at cleaning dents. They also got PAID. Most of the guys in their outfit work only during the hail season and make 250k during that time if the summer is bad enough. They basically follow the hail storms all year and spend a month or two in a body shop working in spare bays doing insurance work. Each guy had his own baller RV they lived out of during the summer with nice small pickups or cars towed along. Was depressing when they were getting a few thousand dollars each day they worked and I would make, like, 80 maybe haha, but they usually brought in large cases of beer each night for everyone to drink.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
interesting, did not know this.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Worked along side some traveling PRD'ers at a body shop for a particularly bad hail summer in CO. Guys were amazing fast at cleaning dents. They also got PAID. Most of the guys in their outfit work only during the hail season and make 250k during that time if the summer is bad enough. They basically follow the hail storms all year and spend a month or two in a body shop working in spare bays doing insurance work. Each guy had his own baller RV they lived out of during the summer with nice small pickups or cars towed along. Was depressing when they were getting a few thousand dollars each day they worked and I would make, like, 80 maybe haha, but they usually brought in large cases of beer each night for everyone to drink.
Yeah, my neighbor was a family man who was home every night, but he talked about weekends after hailstorms where he'd sleep in his van and work a dealer's entire inventory, and make $12k in three days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts