SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

Haven't posted in awhile, but thought a few here might have some insight into the unforeseen devestating incident, and maybe some discussion will shed light for others who have this tragedy spewn from the clouds onto their beloved R. I am currently down in Nashville visiting my girlfriend. Last week Friday, golf ball to baseball-sized hail crapped down onto the city. My 06 S60 R was left with dents on all of the flat surfaces - about 25-30 on the hood, 20 over the mid-section of the car, and 10-15 on the trunk. I have full coverage, called insurance, and will only have a $100 co-pay for whatever work needs to be done (YES!). Now my question is: where should I take my beloved whip to have the work done? I have taken it to Car-Star for small cosmetic repairs and they've done a fine job. But, all in all, I would really like as much done as possible - hood replaced, all of the surfaces re-painted, etc. Would the Volvo dealer be a potential candidate? I don't have much experience with having vehicles repaired. Anyone have any pointers on where I should get an estimate?

Thanks for read,

Jamie

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Your dealership should have a body shop that they use. They should refer you to them. Sorry to hear about your car.

·
6,436 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car. There's a potential that the car might be damaged. We're talking about replacing the roof and body panels, which may really total the car.

...if it's totaled, lets talk about buying your leather!! :)

...but honestly I hope it's not totaled....good luck and let us know what happens

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's the first thing I thought that it be a total loss, always see hail damaged cars on copart, unless u want bondo on your car I'd be going back to the insurance and have a appraiser come your way. Good luck

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
What year is your R?
The usual deal with a lot of hail damage is to replace the hood, replace the trunk, drop the headliner and let the dent Dr have a go at the roof, if he can't make it 100% then after he's done, that would need to be skim coated, blocked then painted along with the hood and trunk and you are now getting close to it being totaled depending on the year and miles
Who said replace the roof, are you completely mad?

·
Registered
318 Posts
No need to replace any panel's, The hood will take somebody familiar with aluminum. . . . . but other than that. Every shop has a spitzenegal (dent puller) a quick skim coat, primer seal & paint.

Best thing is to let your Ins. do an estimate. Then the shop will work off that. Unless you have progressive. they demand on doing there own estimate. If you where local I'd be more than happy to help you out.

............Dave

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input, gang. I have a 2006 S60 R with 65,000 miles on it. JUST paid it off 3 weeks ago, paid just shy of $20k. Just drove in from Nashville today. So should I call the insurance company back and have them send out an appraiser or bring it to the local Volvo dealership and have them give me an estimate? I bought it used from a Lake Michigan Credit Union near Grand Rapids (where I live). It had one owner and the original card from the dealership he bought it from (also local). I tried to take pictures of the damage, but the dent don't show up very well, even when I get a reflection of the treeline, still have to have a high resolution upload to see it :/ I am praying the whip isn't totalled b/c it runs like an absolute beauty. I'll keep everyone posted on what resolves. Please feel free to chime in with any input as I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this one. Thanks, gang!

Jamie

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey Jamie,

I live in Rockford just north of GR and have always had great experiences with Hansen Collision between 10mile and 14 mile on Northland Dr. They are more expensive than other local spots so it would be your best bet in my opinion- Either totaled and clear cut without the headache or you get great work done and since you wont be paying out of pocket then you might as well go to the best place regardless of cost.. I have had dents repaired that also required paint work as well and they are amazing at blending if paint work is required. They also have a good set up for cheap rental cars during repairs if needed.

Hopefully it works out for you. Keep us posted on the outcome.. being a local S60R owner I would be very interested in purchasing parts if not the whole car if it's totaled and if they offer a buy back price.

Brian

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
stormchasinracin had an R that got hailed on, but unforunately he riced it out with a weird stripe down the middle when he got it repainted.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Lived in Dallas and got hail damage on my '84 240 Turbo, and Mazda MPV. Volvo fixed fine, rood was surprisingly low on damage (probably because car was between 2 houses in driveway, so only got some small damage) MPV was a different story. Dealer body shop (which I had used before and they did great work) could NOT repair the roof, too many braces in the way of fixing some dents. They replaced the roof, and while it was straight, you could see small signs of replacement near corners of rear door. Dealer said it was almost, but not quite a total. Year later, friend was in massive hail storm in Arkansas in their Lexus, and it had rear window broken out, every fender dented, along with roof and hood, trunk. Because it was new, insurance company refused to total it, even with the water damage in the rear seat. Clearly, the age of the car makes a huge difference in whether the insurance company totals the car.

I suspect your R would be similar, too much damage, and you are totalled.

Check your policy carefully. There was a lawsuit here in Washington just decided by our Supreme Court against Farmer's insurance. Policy was such that the court said that even repaired, the car's value was not what it was before, so the insurance company essentially had to make up the difference in the before and after repair value on the car. So if they don't total it, they have to give you something that has equal value to a car that hasn't been damaged. I suspect that would apply if the car was totalled, as well. Wish that decision was made about five years earlier when my son's customized Honda was sideswiped and run off the road, bending the chassis.

Check your insurance policy to see if it says car is to be repaired to equal value, or something like that. If totalled, you may still get your money out of the car. (Obviously, the court ruling applied to Washington, but I suspect Farmer's had similar policy in other states, and other companies had similar policies as well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My two cents. Go through a body shop that your insurance company has on their "approved" list. the claim process works out easier and all the work will be covered/warranted. I had a mustang that met a dear on a dark and windy road. I took the car to an approved shop in CA and had to leave it while I transferred to MD. I had the car shipped here and found a few problems with it. I called my agent here in MD, told them there was a problem and they said pick a shop from the list and it will be taken care of. I had the car in the shop twice for various things I found over the next year and I never paid another dime over the $100 initial deductible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright! Brought it to CarStar here in Grand Rapids, which was a preferred shop from my insurance agency. I've dealt with them before when a "Touch-Free" car-wash ripped off my gas door. Anyways, had them check it out: 49 dents in all, most of which are on the hood and over the mid-section of the vehicle. In accordance with insurance requirements, they have to PDR everything first, then decide whether grinding everything down to the metal and working out the dents is worth it. If not, the panel gets replaced. They quoted everything for just under a grand, but told me the hood would most likely be replaced (not included in estimate). Also getting the top strips (molding?) re-painted b/c the sealant is flaking off. All in all, I am stoked that the beast is nowhere near totalled. Being parked in a fenced in area took out the factor of having the side panels damaged, which according to the rep from Car Star, would've made the shi* hit the fan. I wish the pictures I took could show the dents, but I will post pics when the work is done. Not going to bother getting another estimate...bringing the beast in next Monday. Thanks for all of the input! Everyone here is so amazingly helpful. Next up will be changing the brake pads.... research time!

Jamie

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
stormchasinracin had an R that got hailed on, but unforunately he riced it out with a weird stripe down the middle when he got it repainted.
I dont have a weird stripe down the middle, only from the grill down the bumper :D If anything, its an audi knock-off, most definitely not rice.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I dont have a weird stripe down the middle, only from the grill down the bumper :D If anything, its an audi knock-off, most definitely not rice.
Haha! I was hoping you'd stand up for yourself. :thumbup: perhaps one day I'll see your caR in person so I can render my own judgement ;)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Haha! I was hoping you'd stand up for yourself. :thumbup: perhaps one day I'll see your caR in person so I can render my own judgement ;)
Im surprised I didn't check into this thread earlier being that it had hail damage photo potential. Barely caught the name-drop out of the corner of my eye. Im surprised how much shart I've gotten for it having being done almost three years ago. I did take my tinted tails off and now the black on the trunk panel looks a lot better in my opinion being surrounded by the passion red which blends in very well with the regular tail lens color. I will admit that it would look an order of magnitude better if it had the OEM sport kit, but until I save up a few more grand to get past the performance to-do list, it stays as it. :D

Would be nice if gas didn't rape us this summer and we could get another group meet together....still praying we have enough money to tag-along to the iPD garage sale.

·
Registered
221 Posts
They probably won't total it out... I know from experience =) it would take a LOT of damage. (and I mean an obscene amount, or water damage to the interior)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts