SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XC70 AWD Auto
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Muffler was rusting away and sagging from broken mounts etc. Ended up just cutting it off.

Local exhaust/muffler shops want $600+ for non stainless custom 3" cat back.

Been looking through thread archives but figured I would like to ask again as a lot of them are older/during sales etc. What is the most economical way to replace the exhaust from the cat back? Prefer performance and not stock. Will eventually replace downpipe but not any time soon.

Questions:

1. So far it looks like the IPD SS Oval Tube at $595 is my best bet? Keep seeing references about OBX with some positive/negative stuff but can't seem to find the kit.
2. Will aftermarket kits for V70 fit? They same price point etc?

Willing to put down some money for a kit but would like to minimize impact to my wallet for other goodies :)

·
Registered
2004 XC70 AWD Auto
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$749 yikes. That's a bit out of my price range unfortunately.

·
Registered
2004 XC70 AWD Auto
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I can sell you my Jetex exhaust for half the price shipped. It was installed in my car for maybe 1 hour, and I didn't like it. I prefer quiet power, thus 3" downpipe + new Volvo catback :)

SS304, made in UK, for good or bad...

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
$749 yikes. That's a bit out of my price range unfortunately.
I would call them and see if they can give you a break on the price... the sale ended only a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
2004 XC70 AWD Auto
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can sell you my Jetex exhaust for half the price shipped. It was installed in my car for maybe 1 hour, and I didn't like it. I prefer quiet power, thus 3" downpipe + new Volvo catback :)

SS304, made in UK, for good or bad...
Will PM you

·
Registered
2004 XC70 AWD Auto
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got one coming thanks to a member on here.

FYI for anybody who comes across this, I emailed Rakaror and they quoted me about $500 shipped to Iowa.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the thread, need cat back for my 04 XC70 as well. Will this OBX stainless kit for the V70R fit? Looks like next best option for stainless is the IPD kit, which is on sale for $595 and won't ship for 45 days....

Are there any other reasonably cheap options I should be considering? Classifieds on this forum? Thanks.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
Thanks for the thread, need cat back for my 04 XC70 as well. Will this OBX stainless kit for the V70R fit? Looks like next best option for stainless is the IPD kit, which is on sale for $595 and won't ship for 45 days....

Are there any other reasonably cheap options I should be considering? Classifieds on this forum? Thanks.
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...teel-from-catalytic-converter-simons/1037946/

$577 shipped and you wont go deaf and itll actually fit

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Thanks for the link from Sweden, definitely saving that one. If you need a stock exhaust from a 2001 t5 I have one. Not sure if they fit on AWD. But, read that you have one incoming already, so best of luck! send some clips/sound when you get it installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the link from Sweden, definitely saving that one. If you need a stock exhaust from a 2001 t5 I have one. Not sure if they fit on AWD. But, read that you have one incoming already, so best of luck! send some clips/sound when you get it installed.
Don't actually have one coming yet. Was hoping to get one in less than 2-4 weeks since I will need to make a few ~5-hour road trips this summer, but front coil just broke as well so am trying to figure out if I can fix this car in time or if I should figure out some other plan.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I just went to my local wreckyard with a hacksaw and got mine for $20. Certainly not “performance” but did the trick just fine. My muffler guy was quite impressed actually. He commented on the stainless steel and quality of the part. $80 to install and I was good to go!

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just went to my local wreckyard with a hacksaw and got mine for $20. Certainly not “performance” but did the trick just fine. My muffler guy was quite impressed actually. He commented on the stainless steel and quality of the part. $80 to install and I was good to go!
Well that's what I should have done. Got the OBX exhaust instead since it was on sale, missed the big disclaimer saying "For off-road competition/racing use only. This product is not intended to be installed on vehicles registered for highway use. Legal in California only for racing vehicles that may never be used, registered, or licensed for use upon a highway."

Is this legal to use on the highway in WA? Probably not driving to CA anytime soon....

·
Registered
16,823 Posts
That's a deal overall! Nice job! How long did it take to saw it off? Power would have made quick work, but I get you if you don't have that.
2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
16,823 Posts
This is the operative portion of that statement: may never be used, registered, or licensed
I cannot imagine anyone giving a citation to a car from out of state driving through with something they don't consider legal for cars registered in THEIR state. I'd say you're good.

Well that's what I should have done. Got the OBX exhaust instead since it was on sale, missed the big disclaimer saying "For off-road competition/racing use only. This product is not intended to be installed on vehicles registered for highway use. Legal in California only for racing vehicles that may never be used, registered, or licensed for use upon a highway."

Is this legal to use on the highway in WA? Probably not driving to CA anytime soon....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts