SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I lifted the car because the awd is not working. Before I sent the dem into xemodex, I wanted to make sure that was the problem.

While the tires were off the ground, I put it into first gear. The back wheels did not turn and neither did the drive shaft.

Bad angle gear right? :confused:

Provided I have a new one, how long would it take to swap out if I had a full service garage with lift to do it in?

·
Registered
491 Posts
If the prop shaft did not rotate while in gear then it's the collar gear or the bevel gear. Collar gear is the more common failure. With the proper tools, technique the collar gear can be done in less than three hours. Bevel gear can be swapped in less than an hour.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
isn't there a fuse that when blown or removed complete deactivates the rear drive?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of cost am I looking at here if I do the labor?

Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
isn't there a fuse that when blown or removed complete deactivates the rear drive?
Yes there is but mine is not blown. Plus I think its a static conection between the tranny and angle gear so no fuse for that. The fuse in the REM deactivates the DEM. So the shaft should still turn. Or at least thats the way I understand it so far.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yes there is but mine is not blown. Plus I think its a static conection between the tranny and angle gear so no fuse for that. The fuse in the REM deactivates the DEM. So the shaft should still turn. Or at least thats the way I understand it so far.
That is true. Even with the DEM removed, the prop shaft should spin. The cheapest way to go would be to buy a collar sleeve kit and have a good indy install it. That shouldn't hurt too bad labor wise. Maybe $300-400? If you stripped the input shaft on the angle gear, you'd probably do best to find a salvage one and have it resealed.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So $160.00 for the collar sleeve kit from Viva. Not too bad. Hope thats all it needs. I guess there is no way to tell untill I take it apart? Anyone have a link to a DYI collar sleeve R&R?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I dropped into the thread thinking I was going to cringe and see an R that had fallen off of the lift.....so the good news to the OP is that didn't happen I suppose....everything has a silver lining.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I dropped into the thread thinking I was going to cringe and see an R that had fallen off of the lift.....so the good news to the OP is that didn't happen I suppose....everything has a silver lining.
I think the thread title would include more exclamation marks.

Sent from my Military Air Portable

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At this point I think that might have been better. I have good insurance!!! LOL. So far I have to do the steering wheel clock sensor, clutch kit, timing belt w/ water pump, according to DICE/VIDA my DEM is also bad, now I need to fix the angle gear, and I still need to buy the tune, exhaust w/ dp and AEM water/meth kit! I may have to take a TSP loan out to pay for all thsi stuff!!! Or I was thinking about selling some speakers to pay for the repairs.

I did find this thread. Its very hepful.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Collar-Gear-Thread)&highlight=BEVEL+GEAR+DIY

·
Registered
876 Posts
Your DEM may be OK. It may be throwing an error because your driveshaft is not spinning.
Repair your collar gear first, than see if you still have an issue with DEM.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your DEM may be OK. It may be throwing an error because your driveshaft is not spinning.
Repair your collar gear first, than see if you still have an issue with DEM.

That's what I was thinking. I have taken the dem apart and everything looked very good and clean. Not to say there could still be a problem. But no sense paying $500.00 to fix something that may not need fixing!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I also thought for a second there was some sort of lift failure. Then i was thinking that someone removed angle gear and prop shaft instead of fixing awd. I finally came to my senses figuring it was just leaking fluid or collar gear was gone... Sad how common it is...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts