SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I prefer my T5

I hated the look of the metal centre panel, and I prefer both the seat leather and the steering wheel on my T5 premium.

I did like having the SatNav but not use I like it as much as my Garmin, and as much as the reverse camera is nice I miss the sonar parking assist for front distance.

in terms of driving, I liked the tighter steering, but I found the engine to feel surge-y.
maybe i'm not enough of a petrol head, but my car feels plenty fast enough.
Especially when I looked at the average MPG on the R.

I just wasn't wowed.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
I believe you meant........R Design

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Then it seems like you bought the right car for your needs. Interesting that an R Design would be put into the loaner pool.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this a US R Design?
Yes.
NY .
I think they ran out of their regular loaner cars but had promised me one, and this is what they came up with.
i'm not complaining!
I just wasn't blown away by it.
It was in that regard a little surprising.

·
Registered
780 Posts
And honestly what?

I have no idea what your expectations were from an RD, but just by saying that you compared MPG on a car like this makes me agree with Wayne.

The RD is a really nice car and targeted to a certain "audience" which you obviously are not a part of...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
While I do not agree with your opinion of the R-Design's changes (I found them quite noticeable and to my liking) the only explanation I have for you thinking that the R-Design's engine felt "surge-y" is because the engine does not have a flat torque curve (or rather plateau) in its power delivery like the T5 but actually gently peaks torque in the mid range and has a steady power rise all the way to redline.

·
Registered
780 Posts
While I do not agree with your opinion of the R-Design's changes (I found them quite noticeable and to my liking) the only explanation I have for you thinking that the R-Design's engine felt "surge-y" is because the engine does not have a flat torque curve (or rather plateau) in its power delivery like the T5 but actually gently peaks torque in the mid range and has a steady power rise all the way to redline.
Yup

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wait a minute. . .was this car one of the initial R-Design cars that just had the cosmetic changes without the Polestar upgraded HP?

Also I may be in the minority here, but I also prefer the T5, T6 grey center console over the silver one in the R-Design. I also like the T5, T6 front end better. (Definatly a minority position I would imagine).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Let me start by saying I own a 2012 S60 T6.

But...I have driven both of these back to back recently...and I have to agree with the guy that started this thread. The engine is somewhat surgy and with the wonky throttle mapping it really is hard to modulate it correctly and drive it easily. I don't understand why they chose to make this feel like an 80's GM as they car has PLENTY of power without such stupid tricks...but it would be better off without resorting to artificially "enhancing" the throttle input.

I would be in line for a revised polestar tune in a second if it would especially get rid of the overly "sporting feel" in sport mode. That is easily the most annoying feature on this car.

The brakes I fixed....

The crappy throttle I guess I am going to have to hack the ECU and fix. I did it on Subaru's...time to take this code apart.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Let me start by saying I own a 2012 S60 T6.

But...I have driven both of these back to back recently...and I have to agree with the guy that started this thread. The engine is somewhat surgy and with the wonky throttle mapping it really is hard to modulate it correctly and drive it easily. I don't understand why they chose to make this feel like an 80's GM as they car has PLENTY of power without such stupid tricks...but it would be better off without resorting to artificially "enhancing" the throttle input.

I would be in line for a revised polestar tune in a second if it would especially get rid of the overly "sporting feel" in sport mode. That is easily the most annoying feature on this car.

The brakes I fixed....

The crappy throttle I guess I am going to have to hack the ECU and fix. I did it on Subaru's...time to take this code apart.
I have no issues with the throttle being overly touchy in my '12 RD; I did have my TCM replaced in my transmission a while back and that seemed to fix the banging gears problem.

"S/Sport Mode" is meant to feel more lively, if you don't like it, than keep it in "D" and drive regularly, lol!

Good Luck trying to hack the ECU on a Volvo, it's not as simple as a Subaru and you are just better off trying to get a custom tune from Autotech/Heico/iPd/RICA when they are available if you aren't happy with the Polestar Tune.

I own both a T5 AWD and T6 RD so I can regularly compare the two to each other, it's apples vs oranges and I'm more than happy to be back in my RD; like I was when I owned my '07 S60R and I would come back from driving my brother's '06 S60 2.5t. The center console trim is such an easy fix as there isn't much other than that piece to replace (I like them both so I can't rag on either, lol).

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you are used to driving one car, and then get a loaner to try for a day, it's not surprising that the car you are used to driving feels better. It's not much of a long term comparison.

The R-D does take some getting used to but, once you get comfortable with it, it's a pretty impressive and likable package. I've driven the standard T6 and a fwd T5, and I thought both were fine. I prefer the feel of the R-D ... but that's why I bought one.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Wait a minute. . .was this car one of the initial R-Design cars that just had the cosmetic changes without the Polestar upgraded HP?
All US S60RD's have the Polestar upgrade.

·
Registered
338 Posts
All US S60RD's have the Polestar upgrade.
I thought there was a time, in late 2011 or early 2012, when there was a T6 R-Design that was just cosmetic in its differences. Perhaps I am wrong on that. . .

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I thought there was a time, in late 2011 or early 2012, when there was a T6 R-Design that was just cosmetic in its differences. Perhaps I am wrong on that. . .
No, there was not.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There was a forum member, wdimagineer, that made cosmetic upgrades to his T6, one of the first in the USA to have the parts to make it look like an R-Design, but it was not a true R-Design.

·
Registered
338 Posts
No, there was not.
http://wot.motortrend.com/2011-volvo-s60-v60-rdesign-promise-factoryenhanced-handling-8895.html

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110092128515/2011-volvo-s60--v60-r-designs-revealed

Ok so there was an R-Design with the sportier chassis and suspension setup, but not the 325HP. The news reports came out late in 2010, for MY2011 S60. Perhaps this never came to the US. But I thought I once saw one in a US dealership, prior to the Polestar engine tune. So that is why I wondered for a moment if the OP had perhaps driven THIS varient and not the true 2012 R-Design.

·
Registered
780 Posts
There was a forum member, wdimagineer, that made cosmetic upgrades to his T6, one of the first in the USA to have the parts to make it look like an R-Design, but it was not a true R-Design.
The changes were not just cosmetic...
He lowered the car (HEICO suspension), got the Polestar Tune, added the RD strut bar, upgraded the brakes (first he had the VivaPerformance brakes, then I think he went for the HEICO kit - but I don't know if he had the chance to install it before switching to the M3) and got 19inch wheels as far as i remember. These are not just cosmetic...
Also, as opposed to the RD, he also had the FOUR-C, which I think is a plus.
If I didn't have my T6, I would have bought his car instead of a brand new RD anytime...

·
Registered
329 Posts
http://wot.motortrend.com/2011-volvo-s60-v60-rdesign-promise-factoryenhanced-handling-8895.html

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110092128515/2011-volvo-s60--v60-r-designs-revealed

Ok so there was an R-Design with the sportier chassis and suspension setup, but not the 325HP. The news reports came out late in 2010, for MY2011 S60. Perhaps this never came to the US. But I thought I once saw one in a US dealership, prior to the Polestar engine tune. So that is why I wondered for a moment if the OP had perhaps driven THIS varient and not the true 2012 R-Design.
Those were Euro Versions I believe. I seem to recall reading that.

As far as the OP goes, I don't agree but as others have said perhaps it's because I'm used to the RD.

In my case, I originally went shopping, looked and drove the T5 FWD. Not only did the FWD bother me but the it lacked the power I wanted especially after driving the competition (Acura TL, Infiniti G37X, Caddy, Audi S4 and BMW335IX). I drove the A4 as well but passed on it because I didn't care for the T4 engine. I loved the later but couldn't justify the price.

My top 4 choices came down to the Acura, Infiniti, Volvo and S4). I ruled the S4 out due to price and I didn't trust them. Then i drove a T6. I loved the T6 but wanted something sportier. The dealer suggested I wait a bit (knowing the RD was coming) and when the RD was announced, I decided to wait until it landed.

After driving it, I drove the others and bought the RD immediately.

As far as fuel differences, I pay more to drive the RD (Premium vs regular gas) but I don't pay much more. I pay about $.09 a gallon more for 100% ethanol free pump 91 octane than I do if I bought 10% ethanol 91 from the regular places I could go. This is only a few bucks a tank more than the typical 87 regular. Furthermore, I am getting about 3-4 MPG less than a T5. I'll trade 3-4 MPG's for the added power. 90% of the time I run it in standard D mode. If I go S Mode, then i see my MPG's drop to about 19-20 in the city (all of my driving is city driving as I live 5 miles from work).

Part of me would love to redo my purchase and buy a S60 T6 with Beechwood then go the wd route but my wife wasn't going to let that happen so I took the sure thing and went with the RD.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts