SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Had a thought about PPC WITH DP......

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jrgoffin 
#1 ·
Ok, so we all know that there is pretty much no SAFE long-term way to run a DownPipe with the PPC. And with the PPC you SHOULD boost to 19-20 with spikes at 21+, which in combo with 93 Oct. and a DP cause some serious detonation......

WHAT IF you threw in a Manual Boost Controller along WITH the PPC and DP and 93 Oct. gas, but turned the boost down a little so that it would spike to 19-20lbs and nothing more, also with a good MBC it will alleviate the spiking issue so it should hold strong at 19-20lbs.

I THINK this MIGHT be a way to have the best of all worlds with the PPC.....What do ya'll think?? Am I crazy??

#5 ·
Re: (s60rdood)

Quote, originally posted by s60rdood »
.......and I thought maybe I was onto something

you were, but volvo beat you to it!

#6 ·
Re: Had a thought about PPC WITH DP...... (s60rdood)

You might be on to something. I know a couple here DO use boost regulators and they DO work. I talked to Marco (he programes IPD's software) and he said if I go W/a bigger downpipe in the future I could send my ecu back for a little "de-tuning" He said with a bigger downpipe they have to "down the boost" a little to eliminate detonation. Basically from what I got out of it, I have a more aggressive program W/a smaller DP than if I had a larger Dp. Weird I know but it does make sense. The spooling in the turbo happens so much quicker W a biger Dp than with the stock dp. Thus turning the boost down a little will still make for a better response.

#8 ·

The electronics in ouR caRs is very picky. I have read that there was some (not sure how much) tinkering that had to be done. I would imagine that they would have had to bypass ouR systems monitoring of the boost levels, in order to pre-determine the highest possible boost levels in each gear.

#9 ·

I don't understand the love affair with the BSR PPC other than the softloader feature. If you want to run a 3"DP get a differant tuning program like IPD's. I've run every combo with the PPC and 3"DP and I have always ended up with pinging. If you damage the engine because of the that combo and then unload the PPC from your ECU, Volvo will be able to tell. You'll pay for the repair. You are not going to keep it a secret from Volvo if they look into the ECU tuning history. With all that in mind why not just go with IPD instead or RICA and get better results and you can use the 3"DP.
I don't think I would ever buy anything from BSR again just because their attitude towards customers...

#10 ·
Re: Had a thought about PPC WITH DP...... (RhaRdeR)

Quote, originally posted by RhaRdeR »
I don't understand the love affair with the BSR PPC other than the softloader feature. If you want to run a 3"DP get a differant tuning program like IPD's. I've run every combo with the PPC and 3"DP and I have always ended up with pinging. If you damage the engine because of the that combo and then unload the PPC from your ECU, Volvo will be able to tell. You'll pay for the repair. You are not going to keep it a secret from Volvo if they look into the ECU tuning history. With all that in mind why not just go with IPD instead or RICA and get better results and you can use the 3"DP.
I don't think I would ever buy anything from BSR again just because their attitude towards customers...
All very good points. I have to agree about BSR...The customer service stinks!

#11 ·
Re: Had a thought about PPC WITH DP...... (Mash)

I just like the PPC due to the fact it's the only softloader out there....I think that if IPD/EVOLVE and the like all offered softloaders, not only would the price prob. come down a little, but I think the amount of people "chipping" their cars would really skyrocket as well.

#12 ·

As a newbie here, and especially someone who's new to tubocharging, I was just wondering...

Aren't the gains with the PPC (by itself) the same as what, say Evolve, advertises with the chip/DP/cat-back combo? It seems as if they are all in the ball-park with these basic mods, but the PPC seems so easy, why not just stay with PPC and spend less $$$. I know there are those of us that are chronic tinkerers, so it would be interesting to see and hear the car with the new exhaust components.

I miss my Mustang, but am getting used to the 'R' real fast!

#14 ·

Sounds like Evolve & BSR both advertise about 50hp - but are those purely flywheel figures? If so, the gains still sound about the same - 30+ hp to the ground. Not trying to stir the pot, just learning more swedish as I go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.