SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought the car was done...

I was on my way into the office yesterday morning, just taking the backroads to avoid the Montgomery County traffic and come upon a SMV (Slow Moving Vehicle) on its way to one of the farms in the area. This thing looked like a 2-story house with the tallest and narrowest tires I've ever seen! More or less I think it's an irrigation thing on wheels for applying chemicals to large sections of fields at one time. Anyhow, I have a clear shot to pass legally; so I just hit the gas a bit in 4th to pass without going insane. After-all I didn't want to spill my coffee, it would be a waste IMHO! Turbo spools nicely and I am well on my way around the machine when I get a scary POW from under the hood.

Well, the car has about as much power as a moped and I'm getting black smoke out of the rear like no-one's business. (The car's rear, not mine.) I limp the car about a mile to the only place safe to stop and open the hood and proced to look over all the usual suspects...to no avail. Spent about 30-min trying to figure what went bang...but nothing really stood out. So I give up and ultimately get the car towed to my place. (After a bunch of little other things happen.)

[/URL]
[/IMG]

I tore into the car after letting it try to run and hear strange noise from the front of the car...below is what I found...

[/URL]
[/IMG]

Talking about one toasted Intercooler!!! Fortunately I had a spare in my "parts room" and was able to make the swap before it stormed like mad. In a way I was expecting this result...as can be seen by the JB Weld on the IC top. I figured that I could repair a small crack by covering way more than the surface area of the original crack. Oops! I was wrong...

Anyhow, just figured that I would share my lovely start to Monday morning with everyone.

Take care and cheers,
Prospero

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts
well, glad it was a quick fix...sorry to hear it happened though.

however...what was the black smoke from if it was JUST the intercooler?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »
well, glad it was a quick fix...sorry to hear it happened though.

however...what was the black smoke from if it was JUST the intercooler?

phuz,
The black smoke was all a product of the ECU and injectors. Since the throttle position switch and ECU think that the car is running at wide open throttle with the boost really making it to the engine...it's dumping fuel as if everything was normal. Fact of the matter is that the boost was all going to atmosphere but the fuel was not...therefore lots of black smoke.

So far I have already installed the replacement IC but have not gone in and QC'd my work. The car runs but I will not drive it till I can go in and re-check everything; because my install was cut short by a thunderstorm.

I'll be driving it tonight...after work.
Cheers,
Prospero

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Had a bad day... (gdogg16)

Quote, originally posted by gdogg16 »
That sucks matt! If you need help doing a custom IC, let me know. More than willing to help out. Kinda surprised you're still runing the stock IC. If makes you feel any better, I blew two intercooler hoses off yesterday..

Wicked good offer there! Thanks!!! I'll be in touch later on this summer to chat about some ideas. For now, I have to run the stock IC for budgetary reasons.

If I had the choice, I would have done a custom IC first...but the car hardly ran when I got it.

Now that the car is just getting to a point where I like it...it's time to firm everything up with the right gear.

So, I guess I was not the only one having a bad day... even a co-worker rearended a person on their way in to the office.
Guess it was a bad karma day for a bunch of us.

Cheers and thanks for the offer!
Prospero

1 - 5 of 5 Posts