SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My XC needs a new headlight socket connection. The connector that goes into the bulb has a loose connection causing my bulb to go in and out. I have tried readjusting this one, but the plastic is crumbling and it doesnt stay in contact for long. My question is my connector has three wires to it, but every single one I find online only has two wires.

Ex. IPD:

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/9128/120484-headlamp-socket-electrical-connector-h11-headlamp-bulb

IPD's also has a different connector style than OEM. Can anyone shed some light on the differences and if these will work or not, and if so what is the third wire for?

Thank you!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Actually just had to do this with my passenger side headlight, and encountered the exact same quandary. Upon investigation, I realized that the OEM three-wire setup actually just terminated into the two bulb leads in the socket housing, so on the two-wire side (can't remember if it was the positive or ground side), I just spliced the two wires together into the single lead from the new socket. I used these connectors from Amazon, since they're rated as "high-temp", and the bad socket looked like it had melted due to high heat.

In terms of purpose, it seems like that third wire is pigtailed into the parking light that shares the housing with the DRL. At any rate, I just crimped 'em together using a butt splice, and it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually just had to do this with my passenger side headlight, and encountered the exact same quandary. Upon investigation, I realized that the OEM three-wire setup actually just terminated into the two bulb leads in the housing, so on the two-wire side (can't remember if it was the positive or ground side), I just spliced the two wires together into the single lead from the connector. I used these connectors from Amazon, and it worked like a charm.

In terms of purpose, it seems like that third wire is pigtailed into the parking light that shares the housing with the DRL. At any rate, I just crimped 'em together using a butt splice, and it worked like a charm.
Thanks a million sir!! :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quite welcome! Glad I was able to add something to the knowledge base.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts