SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing my H&Rs, I immediately put my car to work road tripping across the country. I have about 8k miles on them at this point and was wondering if anybody else has a reverse rake. I’m not sure if it’s supposed to have almost no gap in the rear. Here’s a couple pics unladen (not perfectly level ground) and another of the rear spring’s dead coils.

Long question short, does this look normal or is my car sagging a bit in the rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
The rear wheel opening is slightly lower than the front. That's why it looks more tucked in.

Looks level to me. Base it on the height of the sill from near the front wheel to the back wheel and you should see it's nearly parallel to the ground.

Anyways... what offset is that? That is super wide. I just bought H&R's and are aiming to install them soon, but was worried about my 10 and 15 mm spacers (45 front and 40 rear offset) with my 235/45 tires.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m running +35. Everyone said it wouldn’t fit. Even before I rolled the fenders it fit with plenty of clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
That looks perfectly level to my eye, at least from what I can see in those pictures. Not only in terms of your rocker covers looking dead parallel to the ground beneath them, but also in terms of equal wheel gap as viewed from those angles pictured. In fact, if the rear went higher than that it would look raked to me. On the other hand, it’s hard to tell exactly from just those pictures especially given the front tire being turned. If you want us fitment aficionados to take a closer look, perhaps post a few more pictures from a variety of angles and with the front tires pointed straight ahead. At least one direct side view shot, and a front 3/4 view would help.

Keep in mind also that your perceived stance will be impacted upon by the fact that the rears wheels are both more inset and also sitting beneath a lower wheel opening, which not only throws off the eye from certain angles, but also forces you to compromise a bit on actual verses perceived levelness. What I mean by this is, if the wheel gap is to look perfectly uniform front and rear, you’ll likely need about 10mm less rear offset and a touch more height in the rear than the front, which would make front/ rear wheelgap look perfectly equal but might make the car look slightly raked if you judge levelness by measuring fender-to-ground height or whether the rocker is perfectly parallel to the ground or not.

On the other hand, without a slight rake, with perfect rocker/ ftg levelness, you might see a bit of extra front wheelgap, or more rear tuck, which creates the impression of a slight case of droopybutt even if the car is literally perfectly level by those other measures. The eye may tell you otherwise, and it’s more important for a drop to look right by the eye and not just the tape measure. That’s a major pitfall of springs: You rarely get the perfect aesthetic drop if you’re picky, and if it doesn’t hit just right, you can’t do much to fine tune the drop beyond how it sits. There’s also the issue of a fitment that works well today working less well a year from now as springs settle and dampers wear, which can change the rake, ride height, and roll center enough to have an impact on the look and fit of a setup, good or bad.

·
Registered
698 Posts
When I bought mine, I was told there are two versions for the rear. A Heavy duty and Light duty. I bought Heavy duty as i load up the wagon every now and then. My height looks the same as yours, almost tucking at the rear.

Or the old school way, 1 finger front, half finger rear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In case anyone is looking at this thread for after pics of how low the car sits versus using Heico springs. The H&R springs sit much lower than Heico springs. My rear end is almost unchanged versus stock R-Design height and the front is low, but not as low as the H&R springs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts