SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever refinished their pegs by them self? I'm looking for some advise/ a guide to. The R I just bought the lady curbed all 4 wheels.

I currently have my 17" snows on so the 18's are laying around a seems like a good winter project.

Thanks col.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have done this before with BBS RS wheels.

The steps are pretty easy but I haven't done pegs yet.

First I would dismount the tires. Makes everything easier.

Second you use a flat sanding block to sand everything down initially. Then clean it.

Then you can use either metal filled epoxy or bondo to fill damage. Then flat sand it all again. Also, a nail filing board can help here to prevent rounded corners. Use it on the outer edge.

Clean again. Then primer, paint, and clearcoat.

I'll post pics when my winters come off for refinishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm following too! Biggest problem iv'e had is finding the correct matching paint.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
In a word if you don't have to strip the finish off OEM Pegs to re do them, don't.

I have two sets with curb rash on both that I'm going to powder coat, and they were a pain to strip completely. I had to use industrial B17 power coating stripper from Benco in TN that is full of methylene chloride that is so nasty that you have to use supplied air around it, as a respirator alone will not filter it.

We are talking about the type of stuff that gives you cancer for looking at it funny.

The pegs have some sort of baked on factory finish that is super durable, BMW also uses this finish on a lot of their wheels.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
I have two sets with curb rash on both that I'm going to powder coat, and they were a pain to strip completely. I had to use industrial B17 power coating stripper from Benco in TN that is full of methylene chloride that is so nasty that you have to use supplied air around it, as a respirator alone will not filter it.

We are talking about the type of stuff that gives you cancer for looking at it funny.
Wow, that's aggressive!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would never strip the wheels - I did that once and it sucked. Just sand and paint.

DASCO stripper will take it off, but its poison bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts