SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a loaner 2017 V60 T5 FWD (about 11800 miles) because I got tired of renting a car each time I am in the Portland OR area. I leave for a couple months between visits so this car will sit in a garage (not enclosed) until I return.

I'd be interested in thoughts on whether I should d/c the battery (assumes I can find the negative terminal) and is it to be the one under the hood. Or, should I roll the dice and hope all is well when I get back as it won't be very cold by Nov.

Besides loss of seat memory settings and any radio presets, what else would i see on any power interruption and are these critical to safety/drivability thus requiring dealer intervention (i.e., money).

The parking spot is not near an outlet so no chance of a trickle charger.

If anyone has experience w a battery disconnect switch (rotary knob or knife blade type) in this vehicle, I'd like to know if there was enough space under the cover for one or did you just leave that off.

I've seen posts about fluids not circulating and flat spots on tires but my main concern is not having to jump it each time.

Thx for any input.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
For two months you may be okay if you don't disconnect it as long as you're starting with a decent battery. I've gone two months at a clip without driving my cars and they've typically been okay. It's not that hard to disconnect it if you choose to go that way - battery is under a few clips toward the rear of the engine bay driver side.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I leave for a couple months between visits so this car will sit in a garage (not enclosed) until I return.
In cold weather with a non enclosed garage, shouldn't you be worried about rodents nesting under the hood?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
What about a solar powered panel connected to a battery tender? Put the panels in the front window and run the cord out the drivers door and under the hood (tightly so no-one sees it). Off hand I don't know of one specifically, but some of our electrical geniuses can probably help with this one.

To deal with rodents, simply put bounch sheets in the car and under the hood. We store our celica all winter and put bounch sheet all over the car. Never had a rodent issue yet. Put some steel wool in the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Two other options to consider:

A jump starter:
https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...table-power-pack-with-jump-starter-62306.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...um-ion-jump-starter-and-power-pack-62749.html

A Volvo On Call subscription which allows remote start via the smartphone app.

I was told by the dealer that when my TEM went to sleep and needed to be woken up, it was because the battery was disconnected for an extended period while my engine was being replaced. I don't know if that is completely true (because it worked when I first picked up the car) nor if it matters that much to you if you choose not to have a Volvo On Call subscription (that is what the TEM is for).

·
Registered
547 Posts
My car sits for three months in extreme heat and starts at three months + one day when I press the button. I leave everything connected, and usually remember to turn the auto headlight switch to off before I start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts