SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

101 - 120 of 1466 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
10K vs 15K is likely whats making it close. If you don't need the full 15K allotment for CBV, the lower mileage leases are cheaper. Not an option for me, as I do between 12-14K a year, so the CBV works perfect.
You’re also stuck for 3 years in the same car, the option to change every year or two is another thing I like about CBV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Hmmm, I don't see how that's possible. We've run the numbers several times here, and unless your insurance is damn near free, or you were able to get the car for much less than MSRP You could be paying more than CBV.
No, he couldn't, even with average insurance. Actually, coming close to CbV numbers on a regular lease @ 10K + insurance means couple of things: 1. high insurance; 2. high money factor (sub-prime)
I've run the numbers many times.
Lease numbers on an R-Design @ 12K and $500 off MSRP came out to about $545. Insurance is $120 a month. Various Volvo protections (wheels, tires, dents, windshield) $15/mo. Total ~ $680.
CbV is 15K a year + possibility of a new car every year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No, he couldn't, even with average insurance. Actually, coming close to CbV numbers on a regular lease @ 10K + insurance means couple of things: 1. high insurance; 2. high money factor (sub-prime)
I've run the numbers many times.
Lease numbers on an R-Design @ 12K and $500 off MSRP came out to about $545. Insurance is $120 a month. Various Volvo protections (wheels, tires, dents, windshield) $15/mo. Total ~ $680.
CbV is 15K a year + possibility of a new car every year.
But you've based that on 3 years. You bump that back to two and that payment hits about $650. So same time span, 5k less miles a year and only 50 bucks less a month with no insurance. What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
But you've based that on 3 years. You bump that back to two and that payment hits about $650. So same time span, 5k less miles a year and only 50 bucks less a month with no insurance. What am I missing?
It'll hit more than $650

You're right, I did it for 3 years, since 2 year leases are obnoxiously expensive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yesterday I sent an email to the CEO and his executive offices. The automated response said I’d receive a response within 2 hours. Never did. So I responded to the automated response today. Then they sent it to my care concierge. Lol.... she responded saying they are going to provide me with partial rental reimbursement until my xc40 is ready. That is a little better.

Would you be able to share the contact information you used? It might be time for all of us to come out of the darkness and demand clear and concise information from Volvo! Enough is enough with these garbage generic answers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Would you be able to share the contact information you used? It might be time for all of us to come out of the darkness and demand clear and concise information from Volvo! Enough is enough with these garbage generic answers.
Yeah it’s public information

www.elliott.org/company-contacts/volvo/

You have to copy and paste link. Don’t click it

Listed under “executive contacts”

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all,

Have been lurking for a few weeks, but figured I'd register. Thanks to all of you for your digging.

I ordered a R-Design CBV in January and was told April 30th repeatedly up until late last week. "My" car cleared customs over 2 weeks ago. Getting replies from my "concierge" is like pulling teeth. The lack of communication is astounding.

I will give it a couple of weeks and then bail. I needed a 2nd car in March, but this was going to be such a perfect fit, I decided to to just rent a car when I need one for the couple of months. If it happens, it'll be my first Volvo. If it doesn't.... I'll probably buy a Q3.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
So after reading Stevenzoz's post about emailing the executive contacts at Volvo, I just sent a email to Liberty Mutual: source https://www.crunchbase.com/organiza...urrent_employees/current_employees_image_list

[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],

EDIT: (I got back two unknown / rejected emails: a Eric Brosius and James Cupps, I removed their emails above)
Your encouraged to send your own request for an update on the finalization of our applications, I'll let you know what I get back, which I'm expecting to receive a canned corporate response referring me to https://www.libertymutual.com/carebyvolvo which I asked them to skip.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Missed this reply to my tweet from yesterday as it came in sometime overnight but here’s a response from Volvo.

Hi, we are sorry for this experience. The deliveries will begin now in May. For more information, we would recommend contacting our US Customer Care team to best assist you at 1-800-458-1552 or [email protected].

·
Registered
70 Posts
This comment in the Jalopnik article is worrisome. Although it’s also seemingly the first real Volvo related person to have intel:

“We went to test drive the XC40 with the intention of placing a Care by Volvo order. We loved the car, but the salesman warned us not to place an order right now. He said he couldn’t guarantee if or when we’d ever receive the car. He mentioned Volvo was having trouble getting final approval for the program from the State of California. He didn’t give specific details, but he did say, “There’s a reason Book by Cadillac costs so much more than our program.” We were pretty disappointed, but I’m glad he was honest with us instead of just taking our deposit. We may still end up leasing one since there look to be some good offers in the pipeline, or we’ll wait another year until the EV/plug-in versions of the XC40 come out. Great vehicle though. Compared to the diesel F-Pace I was looking at, the interior is light years better even if the Jaguar is faster.”

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, Volvo deserves some serious grief over the CBV issue. Orders were taken with deposits, delivery dates given, and then... limbo.

People have had to return cars on expired leases or sold their prior vehicle in anticipation of getting their XC-40 based on Volvo's promise. Some people are stuck in expensive rentals. Not a very good reward for buying into Volvo's new and grand idea for how people have a car in their life. In short, Volvo over-promised with, to date, zero delivery. For some customers, it may just be an annoyance, but for some others, it is likely causing serious complications in their life and/or incurring extra expenses.

There was no indication when CBV was announced that there were still details to work out or approvals pending, regardless of whether they came from Liberty Mutual, regulators or elsewhere. There is simply no excuse for misleading people and putting them in the position they now find themselves.

As a former Volvo owner (going back to the mid-1980s) and someone who had been interested in the XC-40 (and had been fiddling with the CBV concept, though it wasn't likely), I am frankly stunned by what I'm seeing actual CBV customers go through. It has really left a sour taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
876 Posts
https://jalopnik.com/care-by-volvo-is-off-to-a-messy-start-1825777459

Finally getting some media attention!! Guess they heard us!!
Most surprising thing I read in the Jalopnik piece was the quote: "The spokesperson went on to say, however, that the situation had 'nothing to do with Liberty Mutual.'”

I'm beginning to wonder whether, as some other posters here are now suggesting, Volvo's lack of a frank response is because Volvo can't very well throw stones at either its dealers, or at US state and local governments. The Jalopnik article alludes to this, regarding holdups in NJ and CA. Which happen to be where many, if not most, CbV cars are sitting at the port.

Dealer displeasure with CbV has been well-publicized. It's even better known that Dealers aggressively and effectively influence state and local governments, to preserve the profitable status quo dealers enjoy. I would be unsurprised if the port states of NJ and CA, and others, are holding the cars for ransom. Ransom being that their dealers get a bigger slice of the CbV pie from Volvo.

·
Registered
66 Posts
https://jalopnik.com/care-by-volvo-is-off-to-a-messy-start-1825777459

Finally getting some media attention!! Guess they heard us!!
Most surprising thing I read in the Jalopnik piece was the quote: "The spokesperson went on to say, however, that the situation had 'nothing to do with Liberty Mutual.'”

I'm beginning to wonder whether, as some other posters here are now suggesting, Volvo's lack of a frank response is because Volvo can't very well throw stones at either its dealers, or at US state and local governments. The Jalopnik article alludes to this, regarding holdups in NJ and CA. Which happen to be where many, if not most, CbV cars are sitting at the port.

Dealer displeasure with CbV has been well-publicized. It's even better known that Dealers aggressively and effectively influence state and local governments, to preserve the profitable status quo dealers enjoy. I would be unsurprised if the port states of NJ and CA, and others, are holding the cars for ransom. Ransom being that their dealers get a bigger slice of the CbV pie from Volvo.
If this is the case, then as frustrating as it is, people need to stick it out. If everyone goes and cancels their order Volvo will have to concede and kill the program, giving the dealers exactly what they want.

Mine is going through Panama canal today, so hopefully this is all sorted out by next week, but if it's not I'll try and wait it out. I've waited this long, plus the weather is getting nice so I don't actually mind driving my 20 year old Jeep as much.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If this is the case, then as frustrating as it is, people need to stick it out.
To be clear, I don't pretend to inside knowledge. It just seems more probable than that Volvo was woefully clueless, or is deliberately trying to p*** off the customers it has worked so hard to win through CbV. In my state every legislative session seems to bring more stuff that advantages car dealers, to consumers' detriment. I'm sure car dealers see it just the opposite.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Just because it doesn't have anything to do with Liberty Mutual doesn't mean it doesn't have anything to do with insurance. State departments of banking and insurance may be involved in delays as well. Volvo likely has no legal authority to obtain insurance on an individual's behalf. The policies also allegedly are limited to "approved drivers." Some states do not legally permit certain drivers in a household to be excluded from a policy. Most do not allow exclusion of individual unless specifically named in a policy. Your insurance usually covers anyone you permit to drive the vehicle.

101 - 120 of 1466 Posts