SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo....

Just trying to plan for the possibilities. My GT ('05V70R) is beginning to slip, No codes in VIDA,( unless i cleared them by accident ), and it presents like a hydraulic valve opening under pressure, then closing (back to normal) when load is removed. It does not seem to be gear dependent. I DO have torque limiter delete, and am well aware that this likely contributed to the issue. I'll re-check for codes after it occurs again.

Should my 5speed GT fail completely, would it be feasible to replace it with a 6 speed GT ? I'm assuming that a TCU, at minimum, would be needed in addition to the GT/6 trans. Yea, I know, just buy an '07 with the updated Haldex as well, but first things first. I bought this as a CPO with 38k on it in December of '08, and it now has almost 170K on it.

Plan "B" would be a reliable "Performance" rebuild, should such thing be available.

Plan "C"...find a rebuilt one with a warranty !

I have shop space available to me on occasion, and could easily get the "basic" swap done in a day with mild assistance, so that makes it a bit easier. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance folks !

Michael

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
No. No AW55 to TF80. Different everything... Even angle gears. Buy a cheap AW55 and swap it... Erie has warranties.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
You could try swapping the fluid and doing an adaption?

·
2,521 Posts
A local guy just bought a 5 speed auto R which still has the trans in it. If you need it let me know I could pass on his details.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Try a Tran drain and fill with valvoline maxlife atf first to see if that helps. Might buy you some time and it's cheap at walmart

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you are making some decent power I think a high performance rebuild would be a good option, if you are planning on keeping the car for a long time to give you a return on the investment.

I plan on driving my Sonic VR until the wheels fall off. I will probably have other project cars but no point in selling my VR ever.

The nice thing about a high performance rebuild is you can go as crazy as you want. Want a high stall converter? Do it. Want the car to bang gears like a pro when shifting? No problem.

With a good quality built 5 speed auto, a good sized aftermarket external trans cooler and one of the spin on style trans filter cartridges, you could have a very nice trans that holds what ever you throw at it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Would an adaptation (through VIDA) made any harm to GT trans if there would be nothing made to the trans before applying it?

Just curiosity if an adaptation precedure in vida would change anything in working of trans even if there would be no difference made (oil change, etc)...?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would recommend the drain and fill with Valvoline and use the Lucas transmission fix. http://lucasoil.com/products/problem-solvers-utility/lucas-transmission-fix same time.
Due to high mileage, I would repeat the process min 3 times, within 1-1500 miles each,to ensure the entire gearbox fluid is replaced.
Do nut flush immediately, as it may cause bigger problems and then you would need the 'new trans' for sure. Just drain and fill. After the 3rd session, you can do the flush.
Each time reset the adaptation.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't put lucas in there... I'd drain and fill a few times as stated. No power flushing.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Recently, I came across an interesting story, that some old mechanic added 2 small espresso cup break fluid to the transmission fluid while doing a drain and fill. As per the owner, the gearbox still performing perfectly, without a glitch and no more slipping hard shifting.
Personally, I wouldn't dare to try this, till someone can really confirm this is not an urban legend/fairy tale about the DOT3 helps to clean the sticky valves without causing any damage.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Recently, I came across an interesting story, that some old mechanic added 2 small espresso cup break fluid to the transmission fluid while doing a drain and fill. As per the owner, the gearbox still performing perfectly, without a glitch and no more slipping hard shifting.
Personally, I wouldn't dare to try this, till someone can really confirm this is not an urban legend/fairy tale about the DOT3 helps to clean the sticky valves without causing any damage.
If you are almost certainly going to be removing that transmission give the dot3 a try

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been told that if you have not flushed the trans on a regular basis, do not flush it. I am going to just replace the fluid a few times to see if there is any improvement. I don't think there have been any trans software updates since the car was still under CPO warranty, but I will check.

As per the different angle gear for the 6 speed, that would be fine with me. Granted, it's probably the same amount of effort to just drop in a M66. I have no plans on selling the car...The Ghost will be around for a while !

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
The hard part of doing an auto to manual swap will be all that computer technology no longer seeing the auto in the car doing its thing, so some module/programming changes would be required as well.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
The hard part of doing an auto to manual swap will be all that computer technology no longer seeing the auto in the car doing its thing, so some module/programming changes would be required as well.
Yeah. Some wire jumping is required also. Hilton (and any competent tuner) can flash the ECM for a manual swap.

Just need a pedal assembly, angle gear (any 04-07 angle gear aside from the 06-07 R GT one), MT collar, M66, flywheel, clutch, slave, cables, clutch sensor, and a spaceball.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Swap it for an m66, and mine too while you're at it ;)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
If you want an M66 you're better off also buying the rest of the car that came with it

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you want an M66 you're better off also buying the rest of the car that came with it

but that isn't as exciting!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts