SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
That sounds sketchy what your dealer is proposing. Pretty sure volvo frowns on that.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Yes, this is actually strictly prohibited by Volvo. I'm not really sure how a dealer could even do that, but hey...... Volvo doesn't not allow a customer to turn in their car off-lease and they buy it backed from the dealer as a CPO. You can't have the CPO buyer be the same as the lease owner who just turned in the car. I can't tell you exactly how it's all regulated, tracked, loop holes but I can tell you I have explored this options twice, once with Volvo and once with Audi. I was told that was not an option, it's not allowed by those brands.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, this is actually strictly prohibited by Volvo. I'm not really sure how a dealer could even do that, but hey...... Volvo doesn't not allow a customer to turn in their car off-lease and they buy it backed from the dealer as a CPO. You can't have the CPO buyer be the same as the lease owner who just turned in the car. I can't tell you exactly how it's all regulated, tracked, loop holes but I can tell you I have explored this options twice, once with Volvo and once with Audi. I was told that was not an option, it's not allowed by those brands.
Maybe lease with my name and sell it to my wife? Some people also have a LLC that they used to lease the car and they can simply buy the car back using their own name.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, that is pretty easy to get around. It is in my wife's name and I could buy it etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, I don't want to risk any warranty denials or other issues and since no one could point me to a better dealer, I went ahead an purchased the extended warranty at Steingold, 8 years, 100k miles, 0 deductible. A little pricey as I think it should be a $1,000 less but maybe this will make me keep the car for 8 years to get my money's worth and that in it self will save me money as I tend to swap cars every 2-4 years. In the 140 miles I have put in it so far, I really like it. I was hoping to go to full electric in a few years but I'm thinking I'll do that on my other vehicle and keep the XC90 for family road trips where the gas option is still essential (Polestar 2 maybe?). Still waiting for those flying cars we were promised.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
If it weren't for such a ****ty dealer here I'd buy one of these. My CPO has already paid out over 20k so it was well worth it, but now they try to deny everything.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
What is your deal with always having to be right? This whole thing started because you were wrong in saying hoses aren't covered by the factory warranty.

The 7 year CPO didn't cover hoses. The 5 year CPO doesn't cover hoses. No extended warranty I have ever dealt with has ever covered hoses.

Move on to something else, perhaps something you actually have experience dealing with.
I said the hoses wouldn't be covered as wear and tear. You interjected and said they are under the factory warranty. OP has a CPO which from the literature I could find, offers no exclusions.

Then we settled on he was two weeks outside of the CPO warranty.

Whole point is if he wants to attempt good will, great. If not fine. End of story.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
We have had over $20k in services billed on the VIP platinum warranty on our 2017 XC90. This includes a new long block engine. Spending that $3200 at the time of purchase was probably the best financial decision we have made in a long time. I've heard the CPO's are excellent, but I only have experience with the VIP warranties. I also have it on the 2021. I will always recommend the VIP warranties on these new cars.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Warranties are either a win or lose proposition. More lose than win. House odds largely favor underwriter (Fidelity). That being said, I like you ,cashed in pretty well thus far. Coming out way ahead with the $1600 I spent on 7yr / 100K CPO (No Longer Available). Present CPO is 5 yrs / unlimited miles from in service date (car's first registration / use).

CPO just paid $6K on new pistons, piston rings, spark plugs, ECM, Thermostat. Among other repairs I've had done under CPO.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Well, I don't want to risk any warranty denials or other issues and since no one could point me to a better dealer, I went ahead an purchased the extended warranty at Steingold, 8 years, 100k miles, 0 deductible. A little pricey as I think it should be a $1,000 less but maybe this will make me keep the car for 8 years to get my money's worth and that in it self will save me money as I tend to swap cars every 2-4 years. In the 140 miles I have put in it so far, I really like it. I was hoping to go to full electric in a few years but I'm thinking I'll do that on my other vehicle and keep the XC90 for family road trips where the gas option is still essential (Polestar 2 maybe?). Still waiting for those flying cars we were promised.
Depending on your ownership outlook, and mileage driven, the 10 yr / unlimited warranties are probably the best value. No need to worry on mileage limits. Because 100K goes fast for your average driver. Most people do around 12-16K per year. So on the low side, 100K / 8 yrs works. On the high side you'll max that out in a little under 7 years.

Course, if you drive a lot less or a lot more, then those numbers vary.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Depending on your ownership outlook, and mileage driven, the 10 yr / unlimited warranties are probably the best value. No need to worry on mileage limits. Because 100K goes fast for your average driver. Most people do around 12-16K per year. So on the low side, 100K / 8 yrs works. On the high side you'll max that out in a little under 7 years.

Course, if you drive a lot less or a lot more, then those numbers vary.
With the current WFH, my driving is a lot less. This is the family car, I also have my car so when I want to drive for fun, I take my car or my motorcycle. Road trips or Costco runs, we take the XC90. My daughter's school is 1.5 from home and on the weekends, we usually go hiking or out on the boat in the summer. I think last year, we put about 6k-8K on the old GX that this replaced and that included a road trip to Miami and back. I think I'm good on the mileage for 100k.

I highly doubt that I'll keep it for 8 years as I'm sure there will be something shiny and new between now and then that will get my attention. I'm guessing 5-6 years so I really should not exceed 100k miles by then.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
With the current WFH, my driving is a lot less. This is the family car, I also have my car so when I want to drive for fun, I take my car or my motorcycle. Road trips or Costco runs, we take the XC90. My daughter's school is 1.5 from home and on the weekends, we usually go hiking or out on the boat in the summer. I think last year, we put about 6k-8K on the old GX that this replaced and that included a road trip to Miami and back. I think I'm good on the mileage for 100k.

I highly doubt that I'll keep it for 8 years as I'm sure there will be something shiny and new between now and then that will get my attention. I'm guessing 5-6 years so I really should not exceed 100k miles by then.
Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into your purchase and warranty. Making the 100K a sound investment and the right level of protection.

I am the opposite on driving. I have one car I drive everywhere for most part, including hauling dogs. One year, I did about 25,000 miles. Thought I'd never hit the 100K in 6 years. Now, I'll hit that 100K (20K left) in probably about 13 or 14 months out of my remaining 17 months of CPO. Even with Covid, I still average between 30-50 miles a day, with 40 being the normal. Driving has slowed some of course, but still need to get to and fro. I'll be driving my car til wheels fall off. Bought practically new (2200 miles) Demo / Loaner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this same problem with my 2016 last summer a 4 year old car with 28k miles garage kept 2 bad coolant hoses in the hybrid system. When it comes to wear items that seems to me like a serious underperformance of a part and should bring in to question the longevity of all coolant hoses in these cars. I asked Volvo what the recommended replacement interval for coolant hoses is and they had no answer. As a careful owner who does not want a failure how am I to prevent a failure if I do not know what the expected replacement cycle is? I paid the $800 repair and just hope another hose doesn't fail in my future.
Exactly, the dealers and manufacturers make it confusing to owners, so that they can "exclude" items or dispute what is covered or not covered bumper-to-bumper during regular warranty or CPO. I believe that the bumper-to-bumper warranties are just limited warranties subject to dealer discretion as to what is covered and what is not covered. The DEBATE shall continue. Any dealers on this blog that could clear this up would be appreciated!

·
Registered
27 Posts
There was a recall on 2016 models related to engine coolant systems and hoses. You may want to ask if this is related and get it covered under recall if you have not already.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There was a recall on 2016 models related to engine coolant systems and hoses. You may want to ask if this is related and get it covered under recall if you have not already.
Think about this, I remember when car manufacturers offering four year or 50,000 mile warranties bumper-to-bumper on their new vehicles, Funny, now most of them (the good ones) only offer 3 year or 36,000 mile warranties. If car are better made today than 30 years ago then they should offer five year or 75,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranties, subject to the owner strictly following the service intervals with documentation.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Volvos warranty is 4/50 you clown.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Volvos warranty is 4/50 you clown.

Now now. The point he makes remains a valid one. If cars today are supposedly made better and more reliable, then why are manufacturers limiting their exposure? Decreasing the warranty, while financially sound for the manufacturer, conveys a skepticism to the consumer. Where the consumer is given the sense that the car isn't as safe or reliable as the manufacturer proclaims.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Now now. The point he makes remains a valid one. If cars today are supposedly made better and more reliable, then why are manufacturers limiting their exposure? Decreasing the warranty, while financially sound for the manufacturer, conveys a skepticism to the consumer. Where the consumer is given the sense that the car isn't as safe or reliable as the manufacturer proclaims.
I posed this question to salesmen at Toyota and Honda when we were looking at SUV's years ago. They tried to flex the reliability reputation and all that. I showed them class action law suits and various common complaints on their new models, and that seemed to change the conversation direction.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I posed this question to salesmen at Toyota and Honda when we were looking at SUV's years ago. They tried to flex the reliability reputation and all that. I showed them class action law suits and various common complaints on their new models, and that seemed to change the conversation direction.

Manufacturers of all product types know when failures begin to occur and become expensive. Which then guides the length of the warranty offered on that specific product.

Car manufacturers (not just Volvo), have been inundated with oil consumption issues over the last 5-10 years. Some resulting in class action lawsuits. From my own foray into the oil consumption crowd, the repair was around $5000 on its own accord. Nothing to bulk at, and an amount that can become cost prohibitive if too many people join the group. Volvo and other car manufacturers, being in business to make money, have tailored down their warranties. Limiting exposure to potential costly repairs. Evidenced by the exclusionary language in all Volvo VIP / CPO Extensions that specifically prohibit consumption claims without a failure.

Looking at the chart below gives you some indication of how shorter warranties benefit car manufacturers. While Volvo offers 5 years / unlimited miles, two things become evident. The same applies to other manufacturers, too

1. Few people will ever see the full 5 years, because Demo / Loaner CPO's have an "in service date" which means the car has some level of usage. Be it a month or a year.

2. Being generous and assuming everyone buying a car is a male driving the upper cusp of 18,858 miles a year. 5 x 18858 miles - 94,209 miles.

We know this to not be the case. Using the bell curve and numbers below, MOST PEOPLE will be far less than the 94,209 over the life of the CPO. Assuming a full 5 years (which is unlikely). You will have a segment that does reach 94,209 miles, albeit a smaller segment. And of course, you'll have an outlier group that drives the hell out of their cars and puts 100s of thousands of miles.

Back to your point on Toyota and Honda (Both Having been Party to Oil Consumption Class Actions).

1. Honda: - Honda Accord Oil Consumption Lawsuit
2. Toyota - Toyota Oil Consumption Defect Lawsuit - Car Attorney

All manufacturers have run the numbers. Profits drive companies bottom line. When changes are made to reduce warranties, it's because they have found longer ones are far more expensive!

Average Miles per Year by Sex and Age Group
According to the US Department of Transportation (DOT), men on average drive 550 miles a month more than women. The most recent DOT statistics show men of all ages driving an average of 1,400 miles per month, and women driving an average of 850 miles per month.
The difference in miles driven by males and females cuts across all age groups; (all numbers below are averages):
  • Ages 16-19: males drive 8,206 miles; females drive 6,873 miles.
  • Ages 20-34: males drive 17,975 miles; females drive 12,004 miles.
  • Ages 35-54: males drive 18,858 miles; females drive 11,464 miles.
  • Ages 55-64: males drive 15,859 miles; females drive 7,780 miles.
  • Ages 65+: males drive 10,304 miles; females drive 4,785 miles.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts