SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sorry, still a noob, the above #s were from my emailed receipt. My actual printed receipt from pick up showed round numbers of:
  • $50 hose
  • $30 coolant
  • $480 labor

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Wow, what's their per hour rate? Sounds like an involved job

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Here is the exclusionary list, found in ten seconds by Googling. Regardless it's provided in writing at the time of purchase. I would know, I'm holding a copy of it in my hand as well. No extended warranty under the sun covers hoses.

Wrong. VIP Platinum. That's the extended warranty which you can purchase! The Volvo 5 Year Unlimited CPO is NOT part of the VIP Plans. It's sold with the vehicle after the 170 point inspection is completed and extends out the Volvo Warranty.

What you posted (VIP CPO Extensions) are purchased to extend out the existing CPO and can only be bought when the vehicle purchased qualified for the ORIGINAL VOLVO 5 Yr / Unlimited mile CPO.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
You are totally being misguided by your dealer. Here is the complete exclusionary list (hint, it's more than weatherstripping). Note radiator hose is specifically mention, as well as safety systems (which coves a lot of items). A copy of this is provided at time of purchase and available online. For even more comprehensive coverage consider buying the warranty directly from Volvo's administrator (Ethos) and select the silver plan than steps up to cover 99% of ALL electrical sensors and systems.

Because so many parts are covered, it is easier to mention the items that are not covered. See the list below:

Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard manual transmission clutch friction disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing and arm, air bags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, weather stripping, trim, moldings, door handles, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, all batteries with the exception of hybrid/EV/hydrogen high voltage batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, filters, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, catalytic converter, shock absorbers, constant velocity joint boots, steering and suspension joint boots, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing (except when required in conjunction with a mechanical breakdown), safety restraint systems, audio/security or other systems not factory installed, cellular phones, radar detectors, appliances; vinyl or convertible tops, gradual battery capacity loss.

Burnt valves, worn or carbon fouled piston rings, any mechanical breakdown resulting from a build up of carbon, the correction of oil consumption, or any repairs for reduction in engine efficiency that must be performed on your Volvo.

Any maintenance on your vehicle.

Damages caused to your engine resulting from the ingestion of water through the engine air intake system.
See below. Your source is incorrect.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
So can you confirm the that the exclusionary list for VIP is different than CPO? Because I'm not seeing any differences.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
So can you confirm the that the exclusionary list for VIP is different than CPO? Because I'm not seeing any differences.
It's 100% different. Look at the brochure I posted. It specifically states Extended CPO warranties are available. These are the VIP plans. The VIP plans are underwritten by Fidelity. Whereas the Factory and CPO are backed by Volvo.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
It's 100% different. Look at the brochure I posted. It specifically states Extended CPO warranties are available. These are the VIP plans. The VIP plans are underwritten by Fidelity. Whereas the Factory and CPO are backed by Volvo.
Fidelity no longer administering Volvo's warranties. You are missing my point. A CPO warranty has an exclusionary list. The VIP warranty has an exclusionary list. What I'm saying is.......can you prove the CPO warranty covers radiator hoses while VIP does not? Which is why I added that NO, they both have the same exclusions. In this regard they are the same.

Seriously, I worked for a Volvo dealer for years. I feel like I'm trying to be told how a dealership works when I used to run a Volvo dealership my self is service and parts. I literally dealt with this situation every day, but apparently I don't know anything about this topic. It's bewildering. I'm out....clearly my sound advice from years of experience is not going to considered here so I'll move on to another conversation. OMG.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Fidelity no longer administering Volvo's warranties. You are missing my point. A CPO warranty has an exclusionary list. The VIP warranty has an exclusionary list. What I'm saying is.......can you prove the CPO warranty covers radiator hoses while VIP does not? Which is why I added that NO, they both have the same exclusions. In this regard they are the same.

Seriously, I worked for a Volvo dealer for years. I feel like I'm trying to be told how a dealership works when I used to run a Volvo dealership my self is service and parts. I literally dealt with this situation every day, but apparently I don't know anything about this topic. It's bewildering. I'm out....clearly my sound advice from years of experience is not going to considered here so I'll move on to another conversation. OMG.
I'm missing nothing.

1. The CPO (5 yr / unlimited mileage) is absolutely not the same as the VIP warranties. Read the brochure I posted!

2. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about..Scroll down to the very bottom. The words:

FIDELITY WARRANTY SERVICE, INC ARE IN BIG BOLD PRINT AT THE BOTTOM! - Contract from Steingold Website and is NEWEST contract.

https://pictures.dealer.com/steingoldvolvovcna/d2f864b50a0e0ca2570bf91d3d611f26.pdf

3. The only literature on the Volvo 5 year / Unlimited CPO is right here with NO EXCLUSIONS listed.

https://assets.volvocars.com/us/~/m...lvo-cpo-brochure-2019-updated-v1.pdf?la=en-us

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm missing nothing.

1. The CPO (5 yr / unlimited mileage) is absolutely not the same as the VIP warranties. Read the brochure I posted!

2. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about..Scroll down to the very bottom. The words:

FIDELITY WARRANTY SERVICE, INC ARE IN BIG BOLD PRINT AT THE BOTTOM! - Contract from Steingold Website and is NEWEST contract.

https://pictures.dealer.com/steingoldvolvovcna/d2f864b50a0e0ca2570bf91d3d611f26.pdf

3. The only literature on the Volvo 5 year / Unlimited CPO is right here with NO EXCLUSIONS listed.

https://assets.volvocars.com/us/~/m...lvo-cpo-brochure-2019-updated-v1.pdf?la=en-us
I understand the 5 year brochure you posted doesn't mention any exclusions but, in general, CPO or extended warranties do not cover everything. I believe Volvo potentially was remiss in putting the language of "exclusionary" in the brief brochure you posted.

Volvo switched from 7 yrs, 100,000 miles for their CPO to 5 yrs, unlimited miles a few years ago, late 2016 if memory serves. If they had extended the actual factory warranty to 5 yrs, unlimited miles it'd be a lot more competitive to the old 7 yr CPO.

Below is what I believe (2 websites) to be the current 5 yr CPO Volvo warranty plan. I would definitely had put exclusionary in the brochure you found above if I were a Volvo lawyer but perhaps they made a mistake.

"CERTIFIED CONFIDENCE
When you purchase a Certified by Volvo vehicle, you’ll have the same confidence and pride in your vehicle as you would a brand-new one – without the new-vehicle price tag.

Here’s what you get at a glance:
- 5-year/Unlimited mile exclusionary warranty*"

"For Certified cars purchased on or after November 1, 2018, the Certified by Volvo provides a 5-year/unlimited-mile exclusionary coverage from the original in service date of the car. "

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

You do realize that document is from 2018....which is no longer applicable. Because they no longer administor the warranty as I said.

My mom's S60 is CPO. I'm literally standing here with the paperwork in my hand. It has an exclusionary list. Guess what's on it? Radiator hoses. Literally, as pointed out by another poster, the word "exclusionary" appears multiple times at Volvocars.com/us. And i'm holding the printed CPO document that lists the exclusions.....

I'm done. I'm not going to reply again in this conversation. Believe what you want. Go right ahead and tell someone that was an assistant service and parts manager he doesn't understand warranty.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I understand the 5 year brochure you posted doesn't mention any exclusions but, in general, CPO or extended warranties do not cover everything. I believe Volvo potentially was remiss in putting the language of "exclusionary" in the brief brochure you posted.

Volvo switched from 7 yrs, 100,000 miles for their CPO to 5 yrs, unlimited miles a few years ago, late 2016 if memory serves. If they had extended the actual factory warranty to 5 yrs, unlimited miles it'd be a lot more competitive to the old 7 yr CPO.

Below is what I believe (2 websites) to be the current 5 yr CPO Volvo warranty plan. I would definitely had put exclusionary in the brochure you found above if I were a Volvo lawyer but perhaps they made a mistake.
Switched over in 2018.

"CERTIFIED CONFIDENCE
When you purchase a Certified by Volvo vehicle, you’ll have the same confidence and pride in your vehicle as you would a brand-new one – without the new-vehicle price tag.

Here’s what you get at a glance:
- 5-year/Unlimited mile exclusionary warranty*"

"For Certified cars purchased on or after November 1, 2018, the Certified by Volvo provides a 5-year/unlimited-mile exclusionary coverage from the original in service date of the car. "
[/QUOTE]

Yes, but there is absolutely no brochure listing exclusions. Only the VIP upgrades. I hunted and hunted and came across none. Volvo's 5 Year CPO is pretty much a shortened version of the 7 yr / 100K. Except it's now 5 years / unlimited miles. It's an extension of the Factory warranty in short.

Clearly, these don't cover Tires, Tears, and normal wear and tear. Short of that, the Factory Warranty / CPO's are very comprehensive.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
What is your deal with always having to be right? This whole thing started because you were wrong in saying hoses aren't covered by the factory warranty.

The 7 year CPO didn't cover hoses. The 5 year CPO doesn't cover hoses. No extended warranty I have ever dealt with has ever covered hoses.

Move on to something else, perhaps something you actually have experience dealing with.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So, I read through this whole thread and I appreciate the back and forth. As a new Volvo owner, I would like some input on extended warranties.

I tend to not keep my cars too long unless I really like them. The last car I kept that long (outside of project cars) was an X5d that I purchased new. I loved that car and would have kept it longer but once the warranty ran out it was a nightmare of which I won't get into the details here (the good will conversation was triggering).

I have a Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio that I love so I went ahead and purchased an extended warranty on that as I plan to keep it long-term. I have a feeling that I will also love my T8 Inscription which may get very expensive to own outside of warranty based on my X5d experience. I know the extended warranties go up after 1000 miles which does not give me a lot of time to make a decision. My dealer said that he can CPO it for me at the end of the factory warranty. To do that he would buy it from me at the residual value, add the $800 CPO fee and their doc fee and taxes (3% in NC), and sell it back to me at the same price. This would come out to about $2k.

I'm just wondering if anyone had done this before and get any input on that. If I decided to go with the extended warranty, what is the best (read cheapest) dealer etc. ON the Alfa side there are a couple dealers who undersell the rest and I was not sure if that was the same for Volvo.

Not trying to derail the thread, there just seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people on Volvo warranties on here.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
That sounds sketchy what your dealer is proposing. Pretty sure volvo frowns on that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That sounds sketchy what your dealer is proposing. Pretty sure volvo frowns on that.

Well, to be fair he offered it with my original lease plan. Once I crunched the numbers and realized that the lease made no sense compared to a purchase, I changed my deal to buy. I then asked if he could do the same thing as a buy so it was my suggestion.

·
Registered
610 Posts
So, I read through this whole thread and I appreciate the back and forth. As a new Volvo owner, I would like some input on extended warranties.

I tend to not keep my cars too long unless I really like them. The last car I kept that long (outside of project cars) was an X5d that I purchased new. I loved that car and would have kept it longer but once the warranty ran out it was a nightmare of which I won't get into the details here (the good will conversation was triggering).

I have a Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio that I love so I went ahead and purchased an extended warranty on that as I plan to keep it long-term. I have a feeling that I will also love my T8 Inscription which may get very expensive to own outside of warranty based on my X5d experience. I know the extended warranties go up after 1000 miles which does not give me a lot of time to make a decision. My dealer said that he can CPO it for me at the end of the factory warranty. To do that he would buy it from me at the residual value, add the $800 CPO fee and their doc fee and taxes (3% in NC), and sell it back to me at the same price. This would come out to about $2k.

I'm just wondering if anyone had done this before and get any input on that. If I decided to go with the extended warranty, what is the best (read cheapest) dealer etc. ON the Alfa side there are a couple dealers who undersell the rest and I was not sure if that was the same for Volvo.

Not trying to derail the thread, there just seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people on Volvo warranties on here.
We have had over $20k in services billed on the VIP platinum warranty on our 2017 XC90. This includes a new long block engine. Spending that $3200 at the time of purchase was probably the best financial decision we have made in a long time. I've heard the CPO's are excellent, but I only have experience with the VIP warranties. I also have it on the 2021. I will always recommend the VIP warranties on these new cars.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
We have had over $20k in services billed on the VIP platinum warranty on our 2017 XC90. This includes a new long block engine. Spending that $3200 at the time of purchase was probably the best financial decision we have made in a long time. I've heard the CPO's are excellent, but I only have experience with the VIP warranties. I also have it on the 2021. I will always recommend the VIP warranties on these new cars.

Is there a known dealer that offers the best pricing?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Is there a known dealer that offers the best pricing?
A Swedespeed sponsoring dealer, Steingold Volvo, sometimes offers good deals. I had the dealer include it in my 2020 purchase thanks to some haggling. Then the 2020 was a nightmare lemon and became a factory replacement with a 2021. The VIP warranty started over on the 2021. So I got super lucky.

The $3200 on the 2017 was purchased in 2017. So the same VIP warranty now is around $4000.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts