SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
He said it is a month out of warranty. You changed it to two weeks somehow.

1 day. 2 weeks. 1 month. Where do you draw the line?

It isn't like his trans crapped the bed or his engine blew. Its a hose. It's out of warranty. But for you, there is no such thing as out of warranty.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
The CPO warranty excludes items like this because they are wear. Volvo agrees a “wear item hose” should last 4/50000. After that, the car’s wear items are not a CPO coverage. Very logical and understandable. EVERY car manufacturer has a warranty like this. And yes, plastic formed hoses have a substantially higher failure rate than rubber. Since they are ridged and do not flex they tend to crack at a much higher rate than a rubber hose. The vast majority of Volvos will go there whole lives without a rubber hose replacement in the coolant system, but the same can’t be said for plastic formed ones that are “welded” together from two pieces.
I believe you are wrong here. There are two types of CPO's.

1. Factory Warranty and then CPO which Volvo sells along with the car. Which extends out the factory warranty.

2. Extended CPO, which isn't directly handled by Volvo, but is a fidelity police.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
No. You are wrong. Stop.

It doesn't extend the exact factory warranty. Hoses are not covered by CPO. Neither are weatherstrip seals which would be covered under factory warranty.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
[QUOTE="MyVolvoS60, post: 7751208, member: 156409" Customer service goes a long way to shaping one's opinion of a brand. You look short term. I look long term. This exception benefits Volvo's bottom line LONG TERM.
[/QUOTE]

the difference is in opinion is largely because you are not the one paying the Bill. Easy for you to say it should be free when it doesn’t affect your pocketbook. Do you know how many cars brake one day out of warranty? If Volvo was to cover all of thoseI’m not sure how you expect them to run a business. When does good will stop? 55 days after warranty, 155 days, 555 days? How many miles? When is the cut off? Good will is applied to specific customers under specific circumstances. Is this the original posters 20th Volvo or their first Volvo? Does the store have a long-standing relationship with him or is he a total stranger off the street? We don’t really know that fact which is critical coffin deciding whether Goodwill cause applicable or not. It’s a shame not everyone call doesn’t have the opportunity to work in a Volvo service and parts department for a while to gain a better comprehension of how goodwill works. If everyone gets goodwill repairs then Volvo might as well offer a six year or seven year or a year warranty. At some point you have to draw the line and in force policies. Without knowing the posters relationship to Volvo and his dealer you can’t possibly conclude cause that he should just automatically have a goodwill repair.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
He said it is a month out of warranty. You changed it to two weeks somehow.

1 day. 2 weeks. 1 month. Where do you draw the line?

It isn't like his trans crapped the bed or his engine blew. Its a hose. It's out of warranty. But for you, there is no such thing as out of warranty.
My car came off warranty about a month ago, but I've got the 5 year CPO and figured I'm good for just about anything. I had a slow coolant leak - about 14 days between the car notifying me it was low and refilled- that I just went in for and found that coolant/heater hoses aren't covered
His car is out of warranty, but it already had a slow coolant leak (which I am wondering why the Warranty / CPO did not cover). Did Op not take car in for inspection?? Or Was dealer Monitoring the situation?

Notice he said there was a 14 day gap between "Slow Leak" and needing refilled. He is now 30 days outside warranty. The leak took 14 days to say refill. Problem began 2 weeks outside of warranty! Continued 2 weeks, and now he is 30 days outside warranty. Math 101!

It's still an issue that would have been covered. Again, we're talking 2 weeks.

I look at the big picture: Keeping a customer long term. "Or Being Right".

What do you think is going to create a loyal customer? Sorry about your $60,000 purchase having an issue 2 weeks out of warranty, but rules are rules....

Or

We'll step up and help you out. Not a problem. Thanks for buying Volvo. We hope you'll continue servicing with us, let your friends and family know we care about our customers. And we hope that you will continue patronizing the Volvo Brand and let your friends and family know about our great vehicles and customer service.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
the difference is in opinion is largely because you are not the one paying the Bill. Easy for you to say it should be free when it doesn’t affect your pocketbook. Do you know how many cars brake one day out of warranty? If Volvo was to cover all of thoseI’m not sure how you expect them to run a business. When does good will stop? 55 days after warranty, 155 days, 555 days? How many miles? When is the cut off? Good will is applied to specific customers under specific circumstances. Is this the original posters 20th Volvo or their first Volvo? Does the store have a long-standing relationship with him or is he a total stranger off the street? We don’t really know that fact which is critical coffin deciding whether Goodwill cause applicable or not. It’s a shame not everyone call doesn’t have the opportunity to work in a Volvo service and parts department for a while to gain a better comprehension of how goodwill works. If everyone gets goodwill repairs then Volvo might as well offer a six year or seven year or a year warranty. At some point you have to draw the line and in force policies. Without knowing the posters relationship to Volvo and his dealer you can’t possibly conclude cause that he should just automatically have a goodwill repair.
It's called GOOD WILL. You act like I am FORCING VOLVO to cover a repair. I am NOT. I simply advocate on behalf of people here, and Volvo makes their OWN DECISION.

I wish I was a Volvo CEO. I'd love their salary! Beyond writing them a letter, presenting facts, and letting Volvo make it's own decision, I have absolutely no control over whether Volvo Approves or Denies a repair.

You guys act like I have final say!!

FYI: You are a farmer. Farm Equipment Cost a lot of money. Imagine spending $500,000 and your warranty expires. A $600 part breaks, right out of the warranty period, and now you're on the hook.

Company can:

1. Make an exception and demonstrate they care about their customers. Meaning you're more likely to recommend the brand and purchase future items from the company.

2. Tell you tough luck.....You now figure OK. Maybe next time, when I need something, I'll try another brand.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I like the Volvo Brand...I just believe that advocating for "Unhappy Customers" in an attempt to resolve an issue is a beneficial to Volvo's Bottom Line. Happy customers become repeat customers. Unhappy customers go elsewhere.

I don't twist Volvo's arm into approving or denying any request for "Good Will". Volvo makes their own decision!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I
It's called GOOD WILL. You act like I am FORCING VOLVO to cover a repair. I am NOT. I simply advocate on behalf of people here, and Volvo makes their OWN DECISION.

I wish I was a Volvo CEO. I'd love their salary! Beyond writing them a letter, presenting facts, and letting Volvo make it's own decision, I have absolutely no control over whether Volvo Approves or Denies a repair.

You guys act like I have final say!!

FYI: You are a farmer. Farm Equipment Cost a lot of money. Imagine spending $500,000 and your warranty expires. A $600 part breaks, right out of the warranty period, and now you're on the hook.

Company can:

1. Make an exception and demonstrate they care about their customers. Meaning you're more likely to recommend the brand and purchase future items from the company.

2. Tell you tough luck.....You now figure OK. Maybe next time, when I need something, I'll try another brand.
Wow, you have zero idea how ag warranty policy works. Extremely strict. Good will exists for VERY expensive repairs. No $600 good will would ever be issued by John Deere. Maybe $6,000, and there is 99% of the time some customer participation requires. When you warranty ends with John Deere...it ends. Yes, I have millions of dollars of equipment outside my window, including a $500,000 combine. Your premise that John Deere would cover something for $600 outside of warranty is just you speculating in an industry you nothing about (and I wouldn’t expect you to seem less than 1% of our population actually farms). I’m making comments that are not based off of speculation caught off of experience as someone that has very to polar opposite careers call working in the auto industry along with Volvo and independently farming. I’m not discouraging anyone from asking about a goodwill coverage caught the expectations call don’t seem to match the reality of warranty policy very often

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I

Wow, you have zero idea how ag warranty policy works. Extremely strict. Good will exists for VERY expensive repairs. No $600 good will would ever be issued by John Deere. Maybe $6,000, and there is 99% of the time some customer participation requires. When you warranty ends with John Deere...it ends. Yes, I have millions of dollars of equipment outside my window, including a $500,000 combine. Your premise that John Deere would cover something for $600 outside of warranty is just you speculating in an industry you nothing about (and I wouldn’t expect you to seem less than 1% of our population actually farms). I’m making comments that are not based off of speculation caught off of experience as someone that has very to polar opposite careers call working in the auto industry along with Volvo and independently farming. I’m not discouraging anyone from asking about a goodwill coverage caught the expectations call don’t seem to match the reality of warranty policy very often
Again, you ignore exactly what I say, and cherry pick what you want to read.

Requesting Good Will is a REQUEST not a demand. Volvo, John Deere, what have you make the decision based upon the facts whether to assist a customer or deny the request.

I neither work for Volvo, John Deere, etc. Nor do I have any sway to force a decision one way or another!

Per John Deere, I was simply making a Customer Service Analogy. If it makes you happy, fine a $6000 repair on a $500,000 piece of equipment.....

I understand how customer service works. That's why I help people on here.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Usually when rubber ones swell, it's because oil is leaking onto them.
That too. Or into them. Many a hose come in looking fine on the outside, ruined on the inside.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
His car is out of warranty, but it already had a slow coolant leak (which I am wondering why the Warranty / CPO did not cover). Did Op not take car in for inspection?? Or Was dealer Monitoring the situation?

Notice he said there was a 14 day gap between "Slow Leak" and needing refilled. He is now 30 days outside warranty. The leak took 14 days to say refill. Problem began 2 weeks outside of warranty! Continued 2 weeks, and now he is 30 days outside warranty. Math 101!
I don't know exactly what "14 days between the car notifying me it was low and refilled" means. Did it notify him and he ignored it for 14 days? Or did he fill it and it took 14 days to get low again?

Either way, it doesn't matter. You can't just walk in and claim a problem happened in warranty (or 2 weeks out) and therefore it should be covered. Not how it works. You don't know how it works. But you'll act like you do.

He came to the dealer 30 or more days out. They did what they were supposed to do for a car with CPO coverage and a leaking coolant hose.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I don't know exactly what "14 days between the car notifying me it was low and refilled" means. Did it notify him and he ignored it for 14 days? Or did he fill it and it took 14 days to get low again?

Either way, it doesn't matter. You can't just walk in and claim a problem happened in warranty (or 2 weeks out) and therefore it should be covered. Not how it works. You don't know how it works. But you'll act like you do.

He came to the dealer 30 or more days out. They did what they were supposed to do for a car with CPO coverage and a leaking coolant hose.
Actually, he doesn't clarify. Which is what I wrote.

1. Did he bring the issue to the Dealer's Attention and did they tell him it's a slow leak. Car's out of warranty, see if it gets worse.

2. Did he ignore the problem for two weeks, it got worse, and now 30 days outside of warranty he needed a hose replacement.

The answer to this question determines whether he should get good will or not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No. You are wrong. Stop.

It doesn't extend the exact factory warranty. Hoses are not covered by CPO. Neither are weatherstrip seals which would be covered under factory warranty.
As I understand it, it's not an issue of OP's CPO 5 yr warranty running out 2-4 weeks ago but the fact that hoses are not covered by CPO. If hoses were covered by original factory warranty (4 yrs,50k miles with volvo), in this case it's been a year since OP had his original warranty.

I'm not in the auto business but am employed in a "customer service" type job.
It's tough at times.

I think that it's best to ask ourselves what is reasonable. Since I was a pain with volvo the last few visits with something I've been trying to make it up by getting all my out of warranty maintenance done by them even though the independent shop is considerably cheaper.

Profit margins are very tight in most industries and carmakers are always one recession from flirting with bankruptcy.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
No. You are wrong. Stop.

Please post literature showing exclusions. Matter of fact, the only exclusionary contract I find is for the extended VIP Warranties. The 5 Year Certified by Volvo / Unlimited mile doesn't actually list any exclusions.

With the Certified by Volvo warranty, you’ll get factory-backed coverage on thousands of components, systems, and operations — and many additional benefits: • 5-year, unlimited mile warranty, upgradeable up to 10 years* covering replacement or repair of defective components within the following systems: engine, transmission, drive axle (front and rear), steering, suspension, brakes, electrical, air conditioning• $0 deductible• Warranty is transferable to subsequent owners at no cost•

https://assets.volvocars.com/us/~/m...lvo-cpo-brochure-2019-updated-v1.pdf?la=en-us

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
As I understand it, it's not an issue of OP's CPO 5 yr warranty running out 2-4 weeks ago but the fact that hoses are not covered by CPO. If hoses were covered by original factory warranty (4 yrs,50k miles with volvo), in this case it's been a year since OP had his original warranty.

I'm not in the auto business but am employed in a "customer service" type job.
It's tough at times.

I think that it's best to ask ourselves what is reasonable. Since I was a pain with volvo the last few visits with something I've been trying to make it up by getting all my out of warranty maintenance done by them even though the independent shop is considerably cheaper.

Profit margins are very tight in most industries and carmakers are always one recession from flirting with bankruptcy.
Dealers make their bread and butter off service. You sell a car once, you an service it for a lifetime. Which is why keeping customers happy and coming back is important.

The literature from Volvo offers no information about exclusions under the Certified by Volvo 5 Year unlimited mileage CPO. Only VIP / Extended Warranties include exclusionary verbiage about hoses not covered.

From my own experience, my Volvo dealer has treated my CPO as an extension of the Factory Warranty. Only thing not covered was door weather stripping, which I was told is wear under both Factory and CPO.

Which is why I am asking where Tech (A Volvo Tech) sees literature excluding hoses.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I'm not wasting my time. CPO has never covered hoses. I have never seen any extended warranty cover hoses.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I'm not wasting my time. CPO has never covered hoses. I have never seen any extended warranty cover hoses.
CPO extended warranty (that we can buy within 30 days from CPO car purchase) and CPO warranty (5yr/unlimited miles from service date) is still different, I think. I am not surprised hoses are not covered by CPO warranty though.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Here is the exclusionary list, found in ten seconds by Googling. Regardless it's provided in writing at the time of purchase. I would know, I'm holding a copy of it in my hand as well. No extended warranty under the sun covers hoses.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Dealers make their bread and butter off service. You sell a car once, you an service it for a lifetime. Which is why keeping customers happy and coming back is important.

The literature from Volvo offers no information about exclusions under the Certified by Volvo 5 Year unlimited mileage CPO. Only VIP / Extended Warranties include exclusionary verbiage about hoses not covered.

From my own experience, my Volvo dealer has treated my CPO as an extension of the Factory Warranty. Only thing not covered was door weather stripping, which I was told is wear under both Factory and CPO.

Which is why I am asking where Tech (A Volvo Tech) sees literature excluding hoses.
You are totally being misguided by your dealer. Here is the complete exclusionary list (hint, it's more than weatherstripping). Note radiator hose is specifically mention, as well as safety systems (which coves a lot of items). A copy of this is provided at time of purchase and available online. For even more comprehensive coverage consider buying the warranty directly from Volvo's administrator (Ethos) and select the silver plan than steps up to cover 99% of ALL electrical sensors and systems.

Because so many parts are covered, it is easier to mention the items that are not covered. See the list below:

Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard manual transmission clutch friction disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing and arm, air bags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, weather stripping, trim, moldings, door handles, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, all batteries with the exception of hybrid/EV/hydrogen high voltage batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, filters, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, catalytic converter, shock absorbers, constant velocity joint boots, steering and suspension joint boots, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing (except when required in conjunction with a mechanical breakdown), safety restraint systems, audio/security or other systems not factory installed, cellular phones, radar detectors, appliances; vinyl or convertible tops, gradual battery capacity loss.

Burnt valves, worn or carbon fouled piston rings, any mechanical breakdown resulting from a build up of carbon, the correction of oil consumption, or any repairs for reduction in engine efficiency that must be performed on your Volvo.

Any maintenance on your vehicle.

Damages caused to your engine resulting from the ingestion of water through the engine air intake system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
First, thanks to everyone for the input and especially the offers to assist - greatly appreciated!

Next, let me clarify - my timing was off, my warranty expired on 11/13/20, I took it in on 1/6/21 so almost 2 months out of warranty. Didn't mean to mislead anyone, time flies.

However, I'll also add that I did make 2 appointments to bring it in for this reason, one on 11/4 for 11/23 (the soonest they had a loaner avail) and later on 11/18 for 12/18 (again, soonest they had a loaner avail at the time). In both cases, I had to cancel last minute because of covid related travel issues (@#$%!!!!). So, my first appointment "notifying" them of the issue was before warranty expired, still I cancelled and limped to Jan before I was able to actually get it in. That's like 95% my fault, not theirs - if I could have gotten a loaner sooner, I could have had it in sooner, but alas.

I am surprised that the part's lifetime isn't longer but, again, even having read the disclaimer I was nonchalantly thinking "it'll be covered" which was just stupid on my part. Had I been more diligent, I would have made sure to get it in before warranty expiration - that's my fault.

I'll make mention of it to the manager and see if he's agreeable. I'm not looking for a free ride, like others have said, it's out of warranty and Volvo's good will can't go on forever. If I get some relief, I'd be thrilled but otherwise I'm just chalking it up this time.

Again, my mentioning all this is really not a complaint, more of a heads-up to others so they don't make the same mistake.

As an aside for those who are interested - I just got my bill and it's only showing $556.36 for the problem, no breakdown of parts/hours

[Primary]: 20VOZCOOL : COOLANT LOSS C/DTEC $0.00
Heater Hose: Coolant Heater Hose BRoken $556.36
[Primary]: 01VOZINSPECT : MULTIPOINT $0.00

21 - 40 of 78 Posts